• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Porto for 100 kilometres

Debdon

Time of past OR future Camino
From Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
Planning coastal Portugues
Hi everyone- arriving in Porto 28th April 2019 for 1 week. Would like to walk approx 15-25 kilometres each day. Not sure if the coastal or classic route would be best, we have heard you can mix both? Could anyone help with a suggested route for this section of the Camino? Also any contacts for luggage transfers would be great! Thank you all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone- arriving in Porto 28th April 2019 for 1 week. Would like to walk approx 15-25 kilometres each day. Not sure if the coastal or classic route would be best, we have heard you can mix both? Could anyone help with a suggested route for this section of the Camino? Also any contacts for luggage transfers would be great! Thank you all.

I doubt you will make it to Santiago in a week if you only plan to walk 15-25, but perhaps that's your plan. Coastal route is longer than the classic one. Tuitrans covers the Spanish section for luggage, they also may do Portugal, not sure. And yes, you can mix both, typically walking the coastal in Portugal and then joining the classic in Tui or Valença - but there are other options. I personally do not like the coastal in Galicia as it takes you through the very large city of Vigo. Note that both classic and coastal converge in Redondela.
Buen CAmino

Thank you Jeffery, we only want to do a section of this Camino this time - thank you for your advise - I’m trying to plan our route - would like to book in advance - Are the routes easy to follow? I’ve heard it is a lot quieter than the French was - we did part of that 2 years ago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For example one week I suggest to take the metro out of Porto direction Póvoa da Varzim and go out at the stop Vilar do Pinheiros and walk from there to Vairão where is the albergue Mosteiro do Vairão ca.10 kms for your first day as good start

2nd day walk to São Pedro de Rates where is your next albergue. Ca. 15 kms

3rd day walk to Barcelos. You will have the choice at two albergues and many hotels, bed and breakfasts. Ca 18 kms.

4th day. Walk to Vitorino dos Piães where you find casa da Fernanda, the best caminho experience on the entire caminho Português. Ca 18 kms.

5th day walk to Ponte de Lima. You will love this little town. To the albergue across the bridge over the Lima river or many other lodging possibilities ca .15 kms l

6th day. The famous (or notarious) stage to Rubiães over the highest point of the CP Ca 18 kms In Rubiães is an albergue and some other privat lodging possibilities

Your 7th day to walk to Valença do Minho about 20 kms. Also here an albergue or other lodging possibilities but from there you could take back the train to Porto

This is a beautifull track of the Portugese caminho where you see some of the beautifull northern towns and rural landscapes , meet the very kind people and enjoy the excellent and cheap Portuguese food and wines.
Your stay at Fernanda's will be unforgettable.
I stay there since 2013 once or twice a year and the north of Portugal since then is my favourite destination .

Booking ahead is not neccesairy .

Eventually if you do not like albergues, go to privat places like Casa da Lara in Vilarinho (2 kms beyond Vairão ) https://m.facebook.com/AlbergueDoTorreao
, Pedra Furada , 6 kms after Pedra Furada (there is a restaurant with the same name .Antonio the owner rents rooms. Advisible to reserve in advance
http://www.pedrafurada.com/

Barcelos is no problem to find a room.
Call Fernanda to reserve here double bed or two single bedrooms
tel. +351 914 589 521. If you can't get contact with her send me a conversion-click on my avatar and see "conversion". I am in contact with Fernanda very week.
Myself I willbe there 6th and 7th of April next .

In all other mentioned places there are privat rooms etc. eventually buy John Brierley's guide (here on the forum at Ivar's webshop) and you'll find all telephone numbers and call ahead when you are on your way.

Tui Trans covers this part of the caminho for forwarding your luggage

Here a link to YouTube with English subtitles where you can see most of the part
It has untill now 7 deliveries. This is no 6 but find the first 5 too. Very interesting !
Passa bem e bom caminho

Attachments

• IMG_4320.JPG
    IMG_4320.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just to remind anyone who reads this thread; IF you are intent of seeking a Compostela at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, you MUST have walked the FINAL 100 km from any point on a recognized Camino route to be eligible. Also, during those 100 Km, you must have a minimum of two sellos / stamps per day in your credencial. Those are the rules. They are enforced.

Just as an FYI, the Tui to Santiago stretch is second only to the "Sarria stroll," both in the number of folks starting at these places to walk just far enough to earn a Compostela, as well as folks who happen to cut corners on the way, even on these short 5 - 6 day walks. Facts are facts. These two starting places (Sarria & Tui) are popular for a reason... Just sayin...

Coming from the direction of Porto, this means starting at Tui, on the Spanish side of the River Mino, or in Valenca, on the Portuguese side. So, if you start at Porto and walk for five days, you should end up in Valenca.

However this makes you eligible for approximately nothing, except the pleasure of the walk and having accomplished that much. Valenca is a wonderful town, complete with ancient stone walls around the old town.

The full Porto to Santiago segment normally takes about 10 days, and covers about 250 km (via the traditional route). Of course, walking that distance makes you eligible for the Compostela.

If the Porto starting place and time limit is 'carved in stone,' then one option is to start at Porto and end at Valenca. The next time you return, start where you left off, using the same credencial and walk to Santiago. You can claim credit for the whole Porto to Santiago segment. This gets you a Compostela, and the full 250 km distance will be reflected on the optional Distance Certificate if you chose to buy one (€ 3,00).

Another option, especially if the Compostela is important to you, is to take a bus or train from Porto to Valenca, and walk to Santiago from there. The walking distance from Valenca over the bridge to Tui is maybe 2 km. Plus, bus and train service from Porto to Valenca is far better than to Tui. Despite the EU and all that, it is still considered a foreign country. Bus and train schedules reflect this 'disconnect.' See train schedules at:

https://www.cp.pt/sites/passageiros/en/train-times/Train-time-results

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just to remind anyone who reads this thread; IF you are intent of seeking a Compostela at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, you MUST have walked the FINAL 100 km from any point on a recognized Camino route to be eligible. Also, during those 100 Km, you must have a minimum of two sellos / stamps per day in your credencial. Those are the rules. They are enforced.

Just as an FYI, the Tui to Santiago stretch is second only to the "Sarria stroll," both in the number of folks starting at these places to walk just far enough to earn a Compostela, as well as folks who happen to cut corners on the way, even on these short 5 - 6 day walks. Facts are facts. These two starting places (Sarria & Tui) are popular for a reason... Just sayin...

Coming from the direction of Porto, this means starting at Tui, on the Spanish side of the River Mino, or in Valenca, on the Portuguese side. So, if you start at Porto and walk for five days, you should end up in Valenca.

However this makes you eligible for approximately nothing, except the pleasure of the walk and having accomplished that much. Valenca is a wonderful town, complete with ancient stone walls around the old town.

The full Porto to Santiago segment normally takes about 10 days, and covers about 250 km (via the traditional route). Of course, walking that distance makes you eligible for the Compostela.

If the Porto starting place and time limit is 'carved in stone,' then one option is to start at Porto and end at Valenca. The next time you return, start where you left off, using the same credencial and walk to Santiago. You can claim credit for the whole Porto to Santiago segment. This gets you a Compostela, and the full 250 km distance will be reflected on the optional Distance Certificate if you chose to buy one (€ 3,00).

Another option, especially if the Compostela is important to you, is to take a bus from Porto to Valenca, and walk to Santiago from there. The walking distance from Valenca over the bridge to Tui is maybe 2 km. Plus, bus and train service from Porto to Valenca is far better than to Tui. Despite the EU and all that, it is still considered a foreign country. Bus and train schedules reflect this 'disconnect.' See train schedules at:

https://www.cp.pt/sites/passageiros/en/train-times/Train-time-results

Hope this helps.
The train from Porto to Valença is a better option than the bus because you see a part of the rural Portuguese landscape to Barcelos from your window but also the part along the coast from Viana do Castelo to Caminha and further more the beautifull track along the Minho river to Valença (we walked that part on the Ecovia. Beautifull !) I thought as pensionados we paid 7 or 8 € for this 3 hours lasting journey by train .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It sounds like you are breaking your Camino in several trips. For this one, you want to start in Porto and walk 15-25 km each day for about a week. You know you won't make it to Santiago this trip. You will resume where you left off on another trip. If I've got it right, I recommend:
Day 1: Porto cathedral to Matosinhos (about 12 km so a bit short but it is the first day) Walk down to the river from the cathedral and along the river to the coast, then up the coast to Matosinhos. If this is too short, you can keep going to Vila Chã, combining with the next day, which is what I did. But then it is 26 or 27 km, so a bit longer than your range. If you manage this in one day, your week will take you to the Spanish border, just over 100 km from Santiago, and you can complete the Camino on your next trip and get a Compostela.
Day 2: Matosinhos to Vila Chã (14 or 15 km), north along the seashore (Senda Litoral)
Day 3: Vila Chã to Rates (19 km), north along the Senda to Vila do Conde, then turn right once you've crossed the bridge and take the route that will connect you to the Central Route. You join the Central route at Arcos and walk a few km more to Rates.
Day 4: Rates to Barcelinhos or Barcelos (15 or 16 km) Our albergue was in Barcelinhos but we spent most of our time in Barcelos.
Day 5: Barcelinhos or Barcelos to Lugar do Corgo (about 20 km) Stay at Casa da Fernanda, reservations necessary.
Day 6: Lugar do Corgo to Ponte de Lima (15.5 km)
You may want to stop here if you took two days to get to Vila Chã, because it is a bigger town than the next village if you need the seventh day to get back to Porto. But if you this is really day 5 and want 7 days of walking, I've included two more stages.
Day 7: Ponte de Lima to Rubiães (about 19 km). This takes you over the only really substantial hill on this camino.
Day 7 if you combined the first two: Rubiães to Tui (about 21 km). If you are headed back to Porto after your Camino, you may want to stop in Valenca, on the Portuguese side of the river. I expect transportation to Porto may be a little easier there.

I can't speak to luggage transport. I didn't use it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds like you are breaking your Camino in several trips. For this one, you want to start in Porto and walk 15-25 km each day for about a week. You know you won't make it to Santiago this trip. You will resume where you left off on another trip. If I've got it right, I recommend:
Day 1: Porto cathedral to Matosinhos (about 12 km so a bit short but it is the first day) Walk down to the river from the cathedral and along the river to the coast, then up the coast to Matosinhos. If this is too short, you can keep going to Vila Chã, combining with the next day, which is what I did. But then it is 26 or 27 km, so a bit longer than your range. If you manage this in one day, your week will take you to the Spanish border, just over 100 km from Santiago, and you can complete the Camino on your next trip and get a Compostela.
Day 2: Matosinhos to Vila Chã (14 or 15 km), north along the seashore (Senda Litoral)
Day 3: Vila Chã to Rates (19 km), north along the Senda to Vila do Conde, then turn right once you've crossed the bridge and take the route that will connect you to the Central Route. You join the Central route at Arcos and walk a few km more to Rates.
Day 4: Rates to Barcelinhos or Barcelos (15 or 16 km) Our albergue was in Barcelinhos but we spent most of our time in Barcelos.
Day 5: Barcelinhos or Barcelos to Lugar do Corgo (about 20 km) Stay at Casa da Fernanda, reservations necessary.
Day 6: Lugar do Corgo to Ponte de Lima (15.5 km)
You may want to stop here if you took two days to get to Vila Chã, because it is a bigger town than the next village if you need the seventh day to get back to Porto. But if you this is really day 5 and want 7 days of walking, I've included two more stages.
Day 7: Ponte de Lima to Rubiães (about 19 km). This takes you over the only really substantial hill on this camino.
Day 7 if you combined the first two: Rubiães to Tui (about 21 km). If you are headed back to Porto after your Camino, you may want to stop in Valenca, on the Portuguese side of the river. I expect transportation to Porto may be a little easier there.

I can't speak to luggage transport. I didn't use it.
in addition of @David Tallan.
Lugar do Corgo is the name of the house of Fernanda and Jacinto Rodrigues alias the family of "Casa da Fernanda.
The place where they live is called Vitorino dos Piães.
So if you want to navigate ,search for Vitorino dos Piães.
The house Lugar do Corgo is easy to find.
Start in Barcelos .after about 12 kms you arrive in Tamel where you cross the railway (the same railway I mentioned here above to Viana do Castelo and the coast) If you continue following the yellow waymarkers you will arrive after about 3 kms in the village of Balugães and if you continue following the waymarkers and once you cross the N204 national road after 2 kms , you'll find the house of Fernanda and Jacinto at your left on a crossing of the road you walk on and the rua Outeira.
At the beginning of the gardenpath is the sign "Lugar do Corgo"

The difference with David's route and mine ,mentionned above is that the first day out of Porto you will walk
along the Douro river and the coast .
This route is great too. I walked both .I liked both .

Passa bem e bom caminho

Albert, I think Fernanda and Jacinto are going to need a bigger bed house... We are making them very popular...

Albert, I think Fernanda and Jacinto are going to need a bigger bed house... We are making them very popular...
Ha ha in the meantime a sky scraper albergue could be a good alternative.
With a big restaurant /concerthall / dinershow for the entertainment during the night
Indeed they are becoming more and more popular.
But I hope it will stay as it is now ! Better for them to cope with it. Lovely people. Looking forward to stay with them in a couple of months

Best regards from the Netherlands

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I doubt you will make it to Santiago in a week if you only plan to walk 15-25, but perhaps that's your plan. Coastal route is longer than the classic one. Tuitrans covers the Spanish section for luggage, they also may do Portugal, not sure. And yes, you can mix both, typically walking the coastal in Portugal and then joining the classic in Tui or Valença - but there are other options. I personally do not like the coastal in Galicia as it takes you through the very large city of Vigo. Note that both classic and coastal converge in Redondela.
Buen CAmino
Tuitrans have told me that they do the whole extent of both Portugal Caminos.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back