• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Rome?

Alan

Walking from Italy??

Is it Possible to walk from Rome? I'm in Florence and would love to start from here, but how long would it take?

Thanks for all help!

Peace,
Alan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Alan, that's an interesting question, it probably deserves its own thread since there must be others living in Italy who might like to do the same.

For the Rome to Santiago option, have a look at Peter Robins page here:
http://peterrobins.co.uk/camino/
... he has a map and some route-names that might help you find out some more.

Not sure how long it would take to walk it, but looking at the map it looks like just about double distance...

On a related topic, our member Julian walked from Monaco last year. For more on that have a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=294
viewtopic.php?t=318

Greetings from rainy Santiago,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Walking from Italy??

Alan said:
Is it Possible to walk from Rome?

possible? Of course! Walking's quite a simple matter, really; you just keep putting one foot in front of the other until you get to your destination :)

Alan said:
I'm in Florence and would love to start from here, but how long would it take?

depends very much on what route you take and how fast you walk. In
viewtopic.php?p=1086#1086
I estimate 2 mths Rome to Arles, chop off 2 wks or so from Firenze. Then, say another 2 mths to Santiago. But ymmv.

Yes it is possible

One way would be to join the Via Francigena at Lucca and walk the Via to Vercelli, from there take the Spur to Arles and the route from Arles to Santiago is one for which you can get the guide book from the CSJ.
With the AVF Guide see below and the CSJ Guide you should be able to get a good idea of the timescale but I would guess at least 4 months.

The Guida - Vademecum dal Gran San Bernardo a Roma (900km)
+ Spur road from Arles-F to Vercelli with 42 and 19 stages View cover
Published July 2003 by the Association Via Francigena
70pp. 90gr
by Adelaide Trezzini

Wow! You guys are great; informed and quick! Thanks for the speedy replies, I guess I haven't got the time to walk from Italy this year, but how great would that be??

Thanks again!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back