• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in SJPdP over the pyrenees for the not so fit

Agnogel

A very great full pilgrim
Good evening my fellow pilgrims,
I want to just follow up on a tread i started before i started my camino https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/i-may-have-to-limit-my-camino.26884/#post-241260
Having done as much training as my knees would allow both hill and flat terrain 20140828_084333_002[1].jpg before i stared my camino i can truthfully state i was totaly unprepared for what i was about to under take, My start in St Jean was full of enthusiasm after spending the last year planning and fine tuneing my kit to suit i got the wind knocked out of my sails in the first 10 minutes or so the Brierly guide states (A strenuous uphill walk is rewarded with stunning views in all directions) this is correct except for the word strenuous, for a not overly fit man it was grulling to say the least in 24 degrees sunshine fortunely i had Orisson booked for the night as i had met John Brierly my self in Dublin in January and he recomended i do so. I was not alone in my suffering as many of the older pilgrims who stayed in Orisson also had the same problem and a few had wondered as i did if walking back down the mountain and busing around to Roncesevalles was a better option. I made inquires with the staff if the next stage was as tough and they assured me i was over the worst of it, The next day started out with rain that turned to drizzel as we neared the pass while it was a struggle the fact that the mist blocked the view of how high we had to walk was a God send. I use the word WE here as my fellow suffers and i formed a small band of encourageing warriors were we shared our pain and any help offered to each other including pain relife and all the goodies we had for energy, After the uphill struggle most had a big problem with the down hill into Roncesevalles one lady in front of me slipped and fell backwards but had recoved before i got to her, we heard later in the albergue that another lady needed stiches to her head after she had slipped also.
I want to state here that i knew the way over the pyrenees was not going to be easy but i totaly under estimated the level of difficulty it was to be even after reading a lot of posts on the forum, Why then did i deside to start in SJPdP because i come from an island and i wanted to walk over the border from France to Spain and try to get my head around why there is so much turmoile in this world over an imageimery line that some one some were at some time had drawn on a map, My conclusion pure madness.
My plan was to reach Pamplona and i did so just as my doggey knee started to swell up to say i had a ball is an understatment i loved and still do love all who i had the pleasure of meeting and shearing there experiences including there sore limbs and pain.
I am not saying not to take the way over the mountains but for the not so agile of us do put plenty of tought into it starting at some other point on the camino is by no means a failure it may just mean that you get to finish what you started .
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Good evening my fellow pilgrims,
I want to just follow up on a tread i started before i started my camino https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/i-may-have-to-limit-my-camino.26884/#post-241260
Having done as much training as my knees would allow both hill and flat terrain View attachment 13405 before i stared my camino i can truthfully state i was totaly unprepared for what i was about to under take, My start in St Jean was full of enthusiasm after spending the last year planning and fine tuneing my kit to suit i got the wind knocked out of my sails in the first 10 minutes or so the Brierly guide states (A strenuous uphill walk is rewarded with stunning views in all directions) this is correct except for the word strenuous, for a not overly fit man it was grulling to say the least in 24 degrees sunshine fortunely i had Orisson booked for the night as i had met John Brierly my self in Dublin in January and he recomended i do so. I was not alone in my suffering as many of the older pilgrims who stayed in Orisson also had the same problem and a few had wondered as i did if walking back down the mountain and busing around to Roncesevalles was a better option. I made inquires with the staff if the next stage was as tough and they assured me i was over the worst of it, The next day started out with rain that turned to drizzel as we neared the pass while it was a struggle the fact that the mist blocked the view of how high we had to walk was a God send. I use the word WE here as my fellow suffers and i formed a small band of encourageing warriors were we shared our pain and any help offered to each other including pain relife and all the goodies we had for energy, After the uphill struggle most had a big problem with the down hill into Roncesevalles one lady in front of me slipped and fell backwards but had recoved before i got to her, we heard later in the albergue that another lady needed stiches to her head after she had slipped also.
I want to state here that i knew the way over the pyrenees was not going to be easy but i totaly under estimated the level of difficulty it was to be even after reading a lot of posts on the forum, Why then did i deside to start in SJPdP because i come from an island and i wanted to walk over the border from France to Spain and try to get my head around why there is so much turmoile in this world over an imageimery line that some one some were at some time had drawn on a map, My conclusion pure madness.
My plan was to reach Pamplona and i did so just as my doggey knee started to swell up to say i had a ball is an understatment i loved and still do love all who i had the pleasure of meeting and shearing there experiences including there sore limbs and pain.
I am not saying not to take the way over the mountains but for the not so agile of us do put plenty of tought into it starting at some other point on the camino is by no means a failure it may just mean that you get to finish what you started .
Buen Camino

Hi, you mentioned you prepared by reading everything you could about the Route Napoleon, when faced with an apparent "daunting" assent, you soldiered on in company of your fellows and, when adversity struck...you and others assisted.
Isn't the Camino wondrous? You planned...then it delivered. You expected to "see" but were pleased for the heavy mist. You knew you could count on others, because they knew they could count on you.
When any of us on the Forum write about, suggest this, or suggest that...we are often commenting from our own experiences, because that is how the Camino tested us and we persevered in our own way, but on it's terms.
In the final estimation, the Camino and you are a team trying to reach a common objective, or at least an understanding and that objective might not be Santiago.
Arn

Hi, you mentioned you prepared by reading everything you could about the Route Napoleon, when faced with an apparent "daunting" assent, you soldiered on in company of your fellows and, when adversity struck...you and others assisted.
Isn't the Camino wondrous? You planned...then it delivered. You expected to "see" but were pleased for the heavy mist. You knew you could count on others, because they knew they could count on you.
When any of us on the Forum write about, suggest this, or suggest that...we are often commenting from our own experiences, because that is how the Camino tested us and we persevered in our own way, but on it's terms.
In the final estimation, the Camino and you are a team trying to reach a common objective, or at least an understanding and that objective might not be Santiago.
Arn
Arn,
Beautifully stated!
Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your description is lovely. Just how I remember. You sound like a really fun person to walk with. I hope your knees allow you to continue another year. Animo

What a wonderful account of your adventure over the Pyrenees. I live on an Island too. ..and totally get that desire to walk over a border.
Thank you for sharing.

Just for anyone who hasnt picked this up in other posts. When you start your decent towards Roncesvalles, there is a small road to your right. This will take you to Roncesvalles without having to negotiate the slippery track. Its a smitch longer. But your knees, toes and possibly your backside will thank you. The views a stunning as well.
Lisa, THANK you for this advice. Will be walking that path next week!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What a wonderful account of your adventure over the Pyrenees. I live on an Island too. ..and totally get that desire to walk over a border.
Thank you for sharing.

Just for anyone who hasnt picked this up in other posts. When you start your decent towards Roncesvalles, there is a small road to your right. This will take you to Roncesvalles without having to negotiate the slippery track. Its a smitch longer. But your knees, toes and possibly your backside will thank you. The views a stunning as well.
that small road you mention, how much longer is it?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back