• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in SJPP approximately 3/31/17, anyone?

Kate Chiburis

Time of past OR future Camino
Approximately starting March 31, 2018 from St. Jean.....
Hi,

I am landing at Charles De Gaulle airport at approximately 9:30 am, have to go though customs (no baggage, just my carry on backpack) and catch a CAB to ORLY airport by 12:30pm for my flight to Toulouse.....CAN THIS BE DONE?

Also, has anyone done the first day out of SJPP to Grisson? I plan on stopping there the first night; It's only about 6-7 miles, but is it mostly a STRENUOS up hill hike?

Kate

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Kate, Toulouse? Why Toulouse? It isn't a particularly good access point to StJdP - Biarritz would make much more sense.

And do you mean Orisson? Many people use the refugio there as a first stop on the Camino Frances, well I say many it has a capacity of 30(?) odd.

A bit of a search round the Travelling to & from the Camino pages and the Camino Frances specific pages might help you out.

I am landing at Charles De Gaulle airport at approximately 9:30 am, have to go though customs (no baggage, just my carry on backpack) and catch a CAB to ORLY airport by 12:30pm for my flight to Toulouse.....CAN THIS BE DONE?
It could be tight, but we don't know how long the customs lines with be, or how bad the traffic on the particular day you arrive.

The note under your avatar says you are planning for March 31, 2018. If this is true, you probably don't have your flights booked yet, so maybe you can book a more comfortable connection. EDITED: I now see that the thread title indicated 2017, so ignore that!

Are you aware that Orisson is closed until at least March 31, depending mainly on when the Napoleon route opens, and that reservations are advised? Their reservation process is sometimes a bit slow, as a search on the forum will tell you.

Yes, many of us have walked up that hill, and many stop at Orisson if they have time. It is a steep walk up, but it is only a walk - not mountain climbing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And as for the climb up to Orrison, it is more like 8km/5mi but yes, it is uphill, but on minor roads with patience it is manageable without major problems for a normally fit person. No mountain goat abilities required ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Basic time appreciation:

Its a mistake to assume your flight will arrive at CDG on time. Usually arrival time is determined to be the time the plane touches the runway.

It will take 30 minutes to get off the plane and collect bags.

It will take as little as ten minutes and as much as an hour (or more) to get through customs. It depends on how many flights arrive at the time you arrive.

Most airlines recommend that you are at your departure airport at least 2 hours in advance. Bare minimum is an hour. Check in and Security can use this time up. Most airlines will not let you board if you are not at the departure lounge at least 20 minutes before departure.

The RER B train from CDG to Station Antony and Orly Val train from Antony to Orly is the fastest reliable way to get from CDG to Orly. It takes an hour.

The Le Bus Direct bus service schedule is 1:15. Anecdotal information is the bus often makes the trip in significantly less time ... but sometimes traffic delays.

So you see that 0930 arrival for 1230 departure (3 hours) will not work unless the plane arrives on time, you get through customs in ten minutes, your bags show up on the carousel without delay, and your taxi doesn't get stuck in traffic. If you are bent and determined to try this plan, make sure you have a plan 'B'.

You should allow at least 5 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Route Napoleon is closed from 1 November to 1 April. Orisson (5 miles) will not be open 31 March.

While it is uphill, its follows a road used by cars and therefore cannot be considered strenuous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you traveling to CDG and from ORL on the same airline, with both flights included on the same ticket? If so, you might contact the airline and ask what happens if you arrive late for the connecting flight. Under some circumstances they might just put you on the next flight, but in other circumstances (e.g. if you have separate tickets or separate airlines), you might lose the flight.

As previously asked, are you going to Toulouse for some special reason? If not, it would make sense to make a different arrangement to get to SJPP, while the prices are still low.

Biarritz BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP.

Pau has an airport.

Bordeaux has an airport.

These three would all provide easier access than Toulouse.

A lot of people take the train from Paris ... either CDG2, Gare Montparnasse or Gare d'Austerlitz ... to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP. The big advantage is you don't need to get to the train station two hours in advance.

Hi Kate, Toulouse? Why Toulouse? It isn't a particularly good access point to StJdP - Biarritz would make much more sense.

And do you mean Orisson? Many people use the refugio there as a first stop on the Camino Frances, well I say many it has a capacity of 30(?) odd.

A bit of a search round the Travelling to & from the Camino pages and the Camino Frances specific pages might help you out.

Thanks for the help; Unfortunately, I am booked through Toulouse....however, the connecting flight from CDG will probably be missed. Then, I'll have to spend the night near CDG or Paris, then take a train to SJPP. What a pain.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It could be tight, but we don't know how long the customs lines with be, or how bad the traffic on the particular day you arrive.

The note under your avatar says you are planning for March 31, 2018. If this is true, you probably don't have your flights booked yet, so maybe you can book a more comfortable connection. EDITED: I now see that the thread title indicated 2017, so ignore that!

Are you aware that Orisson is closed until at least March 31, depending mainly on when the Napoleon route opens, and that reservations are advised? Their reservation process is sometimes a bit slow, as a search on the forum will tell you.

Yes, many of us have walked up that hill, and many stop at Orisson if they have time. It is a steep walk up, but it is only a walk - not mountain climbing.

Much appreciated!

Thanks for the help; Unfortunately, I am booked through Toulouse....however, the connecting flight from CDG will probably be missed. Then, I'll have to spend the night near CDG or Paris, then take a train to SJPP. What a pain.

You should be able to change the ticket.

Basic time appreciation:

Its a mistake to assume your flight will arrive at CDG on time. Usually arrival time is determined to be the time the plane touches the runway.

It will take 30 minutes to get off the plane and collect bags.

It will take as little as ten minutes and as much as an hour (or more) to get through customs. It depends on how many flights arrive at the time you arrive.

Most airlines recommend that you are at your departure airport at least 2 hours in advance. Bare minimum is an hour. Check in and Security can use this time up. Most airlines will not let you board if you are not at the departure lounge at least 20 minutes before departure.

The RER B train from CDG to Station Antony and Orly Val train from Antony to Orly is the fastest reliable way to get from CDG to Orly. It takes an hour.

The Le Bus Direct bus service schedule is 1:15. Anecdotal information is the bus often makes the trip in significantly less time ... but sometimes traffic delays.

So you see that 0930 arrival for 1230 departure (3 hours) will not work unless the plane arrives on time, you get through customs in ten minutes, your bags show up on the carousel without delay, and your taxi doesn't get stuck in traffic. If you are bent and determined to try this plan, make sure you have a plan 'B'.

You should allow at least 5 hours.

Thanks for your help! I do have a plan B.....I'll probably just end up taking a train from CDG to SJPP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nope, already checked; It will cost $525 to change. In my haste to get my trip planned, I made this huge mistake. Live and learn!

So what I'm reading here is the flight from wherever to Paris CDG and Paris Orly to Toulouse is with the same airline. (Air France and HOP?)

I would suggest getting details from the airline on how to make your connection. I guess one advantage is you don't need to check in at Orly ... just the security.

If you miss your flight because of any delays its on the airline to get you on another flight. There are probably several daily from Orly to Toulouse.

So all is not lost.

Toulouse isn't exactly convenient but it is a shorter train trip to Bayonne than from Paris.

Actually, that might be a blessing in disguise! How tight is your time schedule? If it isn't tight at all you could always start your pilgrimage in Toulouse or Pau or anywhere else on the Arles route ;-) Only then you would cross the Pyrenees via the Somport pass and take the Camino Aragones to Puente la Reina to join the Camino Frances there. Just food for thought ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So what I'm reading here is the flight from wherever to Paris CDG and Paris Orly to Toulouse is with the same airline. (Air France and HOP?)

I would suggest getting details from the airline on how to make your connection. I guess one advantage is you don't need to check in at Orly ... just the security.

If you miss your flight because of any delays its on the airline to get you on another flight. There are probably several daily from Orly to Toulouse.

So all is not lost.

Toulouse isn't exactly convenient but it is a shorter train trip to Bayonne than from Paris.

Thanks again!

-
Route Napoleon is closed from 1 November to 1 April. Orisson (5 miles) will not be open 31 March.

While it is uphill, its follows a road used by cars and therefore cannot be considered strenuous.

Great, thank you.

Are you traveling to CDG and from ORL on the same airline, with both flights included on the same ticket? If so, you might contact the airline and ask what happens if you arrive late for the connecting flight. Under some circumstances they might just put you on the next flight, but in other circumstances (e.g. if you have separate tickets or separate airlines), you might lose the flight.

As previously asked, are you going to Toulouse for some special reason? If not, it would make sense to make a different arrangement to get to SJPP, while the prices are still low.

Thank you for your note; Your first suggestion is great; I fly from La Guardia into CDG, then ORL to Toulouse. so I'll call Air France to see what they can do....thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

Also, has anyone done the first day out of SJPP to Grisson? I plan on stopping there the first night; It's only about 6-7 miles, but is it mostly a STRENUOS up hill hike?

Kate

Sjpdep t
Hi,

Kate

Sjpdep to orrison is a fairly hard trek of 6/7km. Easily done in 1.5hrs. Orisson closed mid October and might open again sometime in April. Also water fonte dry and lots of pilgrims got caught out in October. Make sure you have booking in orrison but it's very walkable in 6to 8 hours if you fit and ready. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back