• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in SJPP on 7/14, how to wind up in Madrid on 7/26

JSB2018

Time of past OR future Camino
None, this is my first, leaving on July 14, 2018
Hello,
This is my first time on the Camino and I'd appreciate any advice. I am starting the Camino de Santiago, the French way, on Saturday 7/14 in SJPP. I need to be in Madrid by the evening of 7/26 to catch a flight the morning of 7/27. I can walk about 20km a day. Any suggestions of where I should try to get to to that would have good transportation back to Madrid? Thank you!! I just need to make it somewhere where I can easily catch a train or bus but am not sure what a good goal town should be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Logroño or Burgos are the obvious choices in terms of transport options, although neither matches up perfectly with your timeframe of 13 days. Logroño is eight days' walk at your pace (~160km) while Burgos is 15 (~300km). If you're willing to extend your 20km/day by a a few km/day, I think Burgos is the best choice - have a look at the Gronze stages (12 stage days from SJPdP to Burgos) and see if you think that could be manageable.

Hi, JS, and welcome to the Forum :)

Go as far as you can toward Logrono or Burgos. Two days before you need to catch your flight, take a taxi from where you are on the Frances to either of those cities if you haven't already arrived. Then you can arrange a bus or train to Madrid. It will be easy to get back to Madrid and MAD. If you do get into Madrid early enough before your departure, it is a wonderful city to visit :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Awesome! Thank you to you both - that's what I'll do!

Walk to Pamplona.

Hang out.

Bus to Madrid.

Fly home.

Enjoy,
and when your ready, return to Pamplona, walk to Santiago.

Enjoy.

Peace be with you.

Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back