• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in SJPP, Travel To SJPP & Accomodations

Gemajams

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 5, 2017, starting in St. Jean
Hi.

We're getting close and we're super excited. We arrive in Madrid Sept 4th and will travel to St. Jean where we will begin our walk on the 5th.

1. What's the best way to travel from Madrid to St Jean? I have some idea but would like to hear from you.

2. Looking for accommodations in St Jean that are reasonable.

3. We expect to begin our walk early in the morning on the 5th are there any shop open early enough in the morning where we can purchase or Pilgrim passport?

4. I hear there's a service you can have your pack transported to your next Hostel destination...are they trustworthy? Howe do you make these arrangements?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you
Gem

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What's the best way to travel from Madrid to St Jean?
There are buses from terminal T-4 to Pamplona, then a bus to SJPdP. There are trains from Chamartin train station after you take the shuttle from T-4 to the station. You then need to take a taxi or bus to the bus station for the bus to SJPdP.

There are buses from terminal T-4 to Pamplona, then a bus to SJPdP. There are trains from Chamartin train station after you take the shuttle from T-4 to the station. You then need to take a taxi or bus to the bus station for the bus to SJPdP.
Thank you Falcon269

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last year I flew from Chicago to Madrid and landed around 8 am local time. I then took a noon flight from Madrid to Biarritz. It was a 50 min flight and super cheap, under $100, I think. From there you can take a short bus or cab ride to Bayonne and spend the night. Bayonne is a great little town, you'll love taking some time to walk around and checking it out. The next morning you can catch the train from Bayonne to St Jean. Boom! It was super convenient and easy.

@Gemajams what fun!

1. I took the bus option from Terminal 4 to Pamplona, stayed overnight, and then bus the following day to SJPdP. The buses can be booked online before leaving home. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP travels across winding mountain roads so take precautions against motion sickness if you are susceptible. You won't be the only ones travelling. Fellow pilgrims will be easy to spot because of their backpacks and almost invariably happy to get involved in a chat.

2. There are several nice and reasonably priced places to stay in SJPdP. I enjoyed staying at Gite d'étape Azkorria. Kind host, great location, nice breakfast shared with other pilgrims, and there is a choice of small dormitory or private rooms. This is just one of plenty of other equally good options.

3. By far the best place to get your pilgrim passport in SJPdP is at the Pilgrim Office. Getting it there is all part of the fun. Also these folks are aware of the weather forcasts and the condition of the path. They will give you wise advice as well as a useful list of albergues all the way to Santiago. The Pilgrim Office has very good opening hours. It may be that getting your pilgrim passport on the afternoon or evening you arrive would be the most convenient.

4. The hosts at your accommodations will generally help you arrange luggage transfer. Again there are plenty of options. I can't recommend any one company but I'm guessing they all offer similar services.

Have a very buen camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you again Falcon269
Last year I flew from Chicago to Madrid and landed around 8 am local time. I then took a noon flight from Madrid to Biarritz. It was a 50 min flight and super cheap, under $100, I think. From there you can take a short bus or cab ride to Bayonne and spend the night. Bayonne is a great little town, you'll love taking some time to walk around and checking it out. The next morning you can catch the train from Bayonne to St Jean. Boom! It was super convenient and easy.
Thank you Scottlovelace87

@Gemajams what fun!

1. I took the bus option from Terminal 4 to Pamplona, stayed overnight, and then bus the following day to SJPdP. The buses can be booked online before leaving home. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP travels across winding mountain roads so take precautions against motion sickness if you are susceptible. You won't be the only ones travelling. Fellow pilgrims will be easy to spot because of their backpacks and almost invariably happy to get involved in a chat.

2. There are several nice and reasonably priced places to stay in SJPdP. I enjoyed staying at Gite d'étape Azkorria. Kind host, great location, nice breakfast shared with other pilgrims, and there is a choice of small dormitory or private rooms. This is just one of plenty of other equally good options.

3. By far the best place to get your pilgrim passport in SJPdP is at the Pilgrim Office. Getting it there is all part of the fun. Also these folks are aware of the weather forcasts and the condition of the path. They will give you wise advice as well as a useful list of albergues all the way to Santiago. The Pilgrim Office has very good opening hours. It may be that getting your pilgrim passport on the afternoon or evening you arrive would be the most convenient.

4. The hosts at your accommodations will generally help you arrange luggage transfer. Again there are plenty of options. I can't recommend any one company but I'm guessing they all offer similar services.

Have a very buen camino.
Thank you HedaP

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi.

We're getting close and we're super excited. We arrive in Madrid Sept 4th and will travel to St. Jean where we will begin our walk on the 5th.

1. What's the best way to travel from Madrid to St Jean? I have some idea but would like to hear from you.

2. Looking for accommodations in St Jean that are reasonable.

3. We expect to begin our walk early in the morning on the 5th are there any shop open early enough in the morning where we can purchase or Pilgrim passport?

4. I hear there's a service you can have your pack transported to your next Hostel destination...are they trustworthy? Howe do you make these arrangements?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you
Gem
I am starting on 5th September too, from SJPP. See you in the mountains on the way to Roncesvalles! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back