• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in St. Jean with weak knee?

Sorcs

Time of past OR future Camino
August, 2015
I'm due to start the Camino next week and am recovering from a knee injury. My knee is fine strapped up on an average hike but I've heard the descents on the first day are very steep. I'm trying to decide whether to walk the lower route from st. Jean which is still very long or start in Roncevalles instead. I know I could also stop in Orrison but would still be left with the steepest descent. Would anyone have any advice? Thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also if you don't already have them, I would recommend trekking poles. For both descents and ascents, I find they really help with stress on the knees, and makes me feel more balanced

I'm due to start the Camino next week and am recovering from a knee injury. My knee is fine strapped up on an average hike but I've heard the descents on the first day are very steep. I'm trying to decide whether to walk the lower route from st. Jean which is still very long or start in Roncevalles instead. I know I could also stop in Orrison but would still be left with the steepest descent. Would anyone have any advice? Thanks
Hi, I think the best thing you can do is to begin your journey in Roncesvalles or in Pamplona. When you want to stay in the albergue Orisson you will need a reservation. What ever you will decide ,you will do fine. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Having started in Roncesvalles myself I can say it's a lovely place to start, and would definitely reduce the risk of the long haul from St. Jean, whether via Valcarlos or the Napoleon. It will also give you more opportunities for starting with shorter days and gradually building up your distances as you and your knee get used to the terrain. But even then you have to be careful - the descent into Zubiri is brutal even without a knee injury, steep and long and with a lot of loose stones. If you decide on Roncesvalles, I would recommend in your case to take the road for the last few km into Zubiri (carefully walking on the left!) from Alto de Erro, where the path crosses the N135. Otherwise I would agree with @falcon269 's suggestion to start in Pamplona. Wherever you start there will be some difficult descents of course - after Pamplona there is Alto de Perdon, which is another one where you might detour via the road to be safe (there are earlier threads on this Forum on that, if you search). There's definitely no need to start in St Jean if you are at all unsure about your knee. It will be carrying you a long way - be gentle with it at the start and it will thank you later on!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The lower route from SJPP has a lot of asphalt - not the best for weak knees either. The first day out from Pamplona includes Alto del Perdon - nothing hysteric but a climb followed by worse a descent through loose slippery rocks. Roncevalles will give you a couple of days to hit your stride before Pamplona and then you should be ready. Roncevalles is also a lot easier to get to - starting in Spain you won't have to go back from Santiago to say Paris, half of Europe, just to get home again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good to be aware and to be wary. It isn't just the height profiles, quite a lot of the Camino is rather rough, and also difficult if it has seen heavy rain (think Rioja mud!) and that constant 'balancing' on rough ground can give the knees work that they never ever get; is why poles, even just one, can be so helpful. Go slow, be comfortable, take it easy. Get that brace off when you can to keep the muscles strong, be prepared to take a rest day here and there - but you know all this!

Wherever you decide to start - and you obviously want to start from St Jean! - enjoy your Camino!!

All good advice already said. However, if you are seriously concerned about your knee and if it is not fully recuperated from the injury, I would suggest starting in Obano or Puente La Reina where the terrain is more level and less rough and rocky. And one telescoping walking pole is essential so you can use it when needed for stabiility. Whatever you decide, be sure you listen to your knee and take care!

I had trouble with my "bad" knee on the Camino Frances. I have always done a lot of day hiking on terrain more difficult than the CF, but for me carrying a too heavy load day after day inflamed my "bad" knee. It's comparatively easy to shed some pack weight by giving things away or shipping things home which I did. But dealing with the cumulative stress of hiking day after day is not so easy. So, a suggestion that has not yet been made is to consider transporting your pack. Maybe not all of the time, but on long stretches or on days where you will encounter significant ascents or descents.

All of the other posts contain excellent advice.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tore my left meniscus and sprained my LCL two months before my camino. Not enough time for surgery and rehab so I did one month in an articulated brace and then my ortho docs office taught me how to wrap with K-Tape for the rest of my healing. I started in Bizkarreta rather than SJPdP and used poles. I now swear by Kinesiology Tape!! Get the professional grade tape - I got it to last through 7-10 days of showering. The regular grade only lasts a day or two.

I agree with Falcon and I'd begin in Pamplona if I were you.
The descent into Zubiri is quite steep and hard on knees.
The gentle climb the first day from Pamplona to Puente la Reina can be broken into two or even three days for an easy start.
You could walk to Cizur Menor or Zariquiegui the first day.
The to Puente la Reina on day 2m when there is another bit of a steep, rocky descent from Alto Perdon.
Then to Ciraqui day 3.
From that point, you'd be between stages (fewer pilgrims) and could go at a quicker pace.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back