• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in the end of march 2015

Time of past OR future Camino
Via De La Plata + Sanabres march-april 1050km 2015
Arles to Lodeve + Norte & Primitivo march-may 1250km 2016
Planning for Sureste and Torres march 2017
I and my wife will walk the Via de la Plata in late March 2015, and my question is.....
We know that Easter falls in early April and was wondering if it might be difficult to find open hostels, B & B, open restaurants etc. during the holidays, is that something we need to keep in consideration?
Airline tickets are already booked and we are looking so forward to start walking.

:)

Helen & Ann

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Helen and Ann,

Welcome to the forum. You've chosen a great route to walk, IMHO.

The problem with Easter is not that things are closed, but rather that things are crowded. Many towns and cities have Holy Week celebrations that draw a lot of tourists. But I don't think you should worry about it, unless you will be starting in Sevilla and arriving there during Holy Week. That could be a bit of a problem, and if I were you, I'd start looking for accommodations there now. Other big cities on the Mozarabe/Vdlp may also have a crunch, and accommodations across Spain are typically more crowded during Holy Week than the rest of the normal springtime. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Helen & Ann,
I faced the same situation a couple of years ago, here’s how things worked out for me.

Left Seville Monday 26/3, two weeks before Easter. Spent Palm Sunday in Zafra, Easter Friday in Aljucen and Easter Sunday in Aldea de Cano. Like you I was a little concerned, but in the end Easter did not cause any undue problem. Numbers did increase somewhat, but mainly with extra cyclists rather than walking pilgrims. The albergues at Merida and Aljucen were both more than full, but there was no alternative accommodation in either town and mattresses on the floor solved the problem. If you plan to be in Merida over Easter booking ahead may be prudent as the hotels were all full. Restaurants were no problem. The only difficulty I had was finding an early morning coffee in Merida on Good Friday. Not exactly serious.

The processions in the larger towns are something special. I saw the one in Zafra and spent ages watching preparation of the floats in Merida. They looked stunning and I think the procession would have been a beauty. For me though, celebrating Easter in small villages was even better than watching the processions. In Aljucen seemingly the whole village congregated in the Hogar de Pensionistas after evening mass, and the pilgrims present were made to feel very welcome. Same thing in Aldea de Cano, except we congregated in the local bar.
Also, from my one-time experience, leaving Seville before Easter is an advantage. I took a walking break shortly after Zamora, and when I restarted I was in the middle of the groups who had left Seville over Easter. Numbers were substantially higher.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Okey, Thanks a lot both of you :)

Dear Helen and Ann,
Well my plans for the end of March are still in place... although my confidence is still a little rumpled. I arrive in Faro on March 25th and will make my way so Seville and will start from there on the 26th or 27th. We (in Canada) are in the midst of a deep freeze with blizzard conditions so walking has been limited. My new shoes have been broken in and I hope I will be able to put on some more miles once the weather gets better. I hope our path cross with you and some others who frequent this site. Buen Camino all!
Stephen

Dear Helen and Ann,
Well my plans for the end of March are still in place... although my confidence is still a little rumpled. I arrive in Faro on March 25th and will make my way so Seville and will start from there on the 26th or 27th. We (in Canada) are in the midst of a deep freeze with blizzard conditions so walking has been limited. My new shoes have been broken in and I hope I will be able to put on some more miles once the weather gets better. I hope our path cross with you and some others who frequent this site. Buen Camino all!
Stephen

Nice to here from you Stephen. :)

We will arrive to Sevilla the 23 of march and stay there to the 26th. We planning to discover Sevilla for a couples of days before we start our camino. The winter in Sweden is for now very dark and wet. I trye to walk when the weather is not to boring. Looking so much forward to meet you all, to visit Spain again and to walk the camino :)
Buen camino :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked the Via de la Plata in 2014 starting in Seville April 1st . I walked during Semana Santa/Holy week(April 14th to 20th).I preferred to stay in small towns and villages and enjoyed their processions and church services.I encountered no problems with accomadation. One of the highlights of the week ,was Easter Saturday in the albuergue in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. I received a wonderful welcome (including tea and an Easter dessert on arrival)from local priest and hospitaleros,local people visited, we helped decorate Easter candles and shared dinner.
I enjoyed the Camino very much, blessed with the weather 2 days rain and half day drizzle in the 6 weeks that I walked.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I walked the Via de la Plata in 2014 starting in Seville April 1st . I walked during Semana Santa/Holy week(April 14th to 20th).I preferred to stay in small towns and villages and enjoyed their processions and church services.I encountered no problems with accomadation. One of the highlights of the week ,was Easter Saturday in the albuergue in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. I received a wonderful welcome (including tea and an Easter dessert on arrival)from local priest and hospitaleros,local people visited, we helped decorate Easter candles and shared dinner.
I enjoyed the Camino very much, blessed with the weather 2 days rain and half day drizzle in the 6 weeks that I walked.
Buen Camino

Hello Me Fein

I hope we that we also will have that kind of weather. That would be nice :) Did you always spend your nights at albuergues ?

Kind regards from Helen in Sweden

Hej Helen
I enjoyed the Via de la Plata very much.I stayed in albuergues except for 3 nights- in Fuente de la Cantos the albuergue was closed so we stayed in a " holiday hotel" with apartments,bedrooms and also rooms with bunk beds.( The owner mets us outside of town with flyers) . In El Cubo del Vino municipal albuergue was closed and private one was full but the mother of the hospitalerio accomadated 6 of us in her house, great experience, met her extended family and she prepared dinner and breakfast for us.
In Campobececerros no albuergue so 5 of us stayed in a Pension Rural
My favourite was albuergue parroquial in Monesterio .In the town centre, on camino, good kitchen,clothes spinner, hairdryer etc
Buen camino and I hope you have dry weather
Maura

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maura - Do you have a list of the places that you stayed and willing to share? I am thinking of walking the via de la plata again in late April. Thanks in advance Sharon

Hello Sharon
I used the Via de la Plata accomadation and walking schedule by Jirit, found here in the resources section. I also had the free guide by Gerald Kelly found in www.viadelaplataguide.net. I hope this will be of use. Ask if you need any more information.
Buen Camino
Maura

Dear Helen and Ann,
Well, three weeks from today I will be heading to the airport to begin my VdlP adventure, so thought I would give you an update. It has been very cold and snowy here in Canada, so walking has been a problem. I have been walking when I can, but only about 16kms at a time, which really worries me; I will try to do some 25 km walks as things are looking to warm up. I did the CF two years ago and didn't have a significant problem; I walked up to 37 kms but that was about my limit.
I still am experiencing "stage fright" because I am not sure about my stamina. I think I will have to take it slow at first and not attempt those 38 km stretches early on the walk.
I hope our paths cross (suspect they will).
Wishing you the best and "Buen Camino".
See you in 3 weeks!
Steve
I am a big guy with a blue backpack and Tilley hat; Say "hi" if you see me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dear Helen and Ann,
Well, three weeks from today I will be heading to the airport to begin my VdlP adventure, so thought I would give you an update. It has been very cold and snowy here in Canada, so walking has been a problem. I have been walking when I can, but only about 16kms at a time, which really worries me; I will try to do some 25 km walks as things are looking to warm up. I did the CF two years ago and didn't have a significant problem; I walked up to 37 kms but that was about my limit.
I still am experiencing "stage fright" because I am not sure about my stamina. I think I will have to take it slow at first and not attempt those 38 km stretches early on the walk.
I hope our paths cross (suspect they will).
Wishing you the best and "Buen Camino".
See you in 3 weeks!
Steve
I am a big guy with a blue backpack and Tilley hat; Say "hi" if you see me!

Happy to hear from you :)

Exiting isn´t it. I think you have being walking longer distance than we so dont you worry. It will be fine.
I have (when the weather is good) walking around 10-15 km and I am not worrying at all.
We will be looking for a blue backpack and a Tilley hat :)

Wishing you the best of course an see you there :)
Buen Camino

Helen & Ann

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back