• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in two weeks!

sandyfeetx2

Hi All!

The Camino Frances has been on the backburner for few years now, and I have found myself with about 6 weeks to spare, starting Sept. 14th!
I do not like to plan things out too much, so the idea is just to buy plane ticket to Madrid, then once there catch a train/plane to Pamploma, then ride with Express Bouricot to SJDPP and start walking!

Question, is this practical or do I need to pre-arrange my way to SJDPP, and also reserve a room in SJDPP? I like to be spontaneous and not think things to death :wink: I also think less is more while traveling....... Any comments/thoughts would be appriciated! Thank you!!

Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is no reason do a lot of planning. Most people do...mostly because they enjoy it and/or they have never done anything like the Camino before..and are very nervous about what to do.

Just be sure you plan your pack and have it minimal! Weight is the work of the DEVIL!!
Have good shoes/boots and a basic understanding of how it works. I recall talking with Australian girl in 2009 that had arrived in Leon and checked into an albergue. In the morning she just walked out the door and started walking. After about 5 km a farmer in a pickup stopped her and asked if she was walking the Camino. She told him yes and he managed convince her that she was walking away from the Camino. She had no idea about the yellow arrows or what she should be doing...he took her back to the Camino and dropped her in with a group of Pilgrims walking. A little extreme...but be sure you have the basics. :wink:
You obviously have the basics down. My opinion is that you are doing it the best way.
Buen Camino.

As usual Grayland is spot on. I thought one of the most wonderful things about the Camino is how straightforward it is. No sophisticated planning or equipment needed, just follow the sensible advice on this forum and then follow the yellow arrows! As long as you don't cross the line between spontaneity and insanity you'll be fine.

Unless you're arriving very late in SJPP I doubt you'll have to reserve in advance in mid-September. The Pilgrim Office there were very helpful to me when it came to accommodation.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mark:

You definately do not need to do a lot of planning. That said, I believe you need to put some thought into what you will carry with you. Weight can be an issue unless you are comfortable carrying a pack 25km for 30+ straight days. It is also very important to take care of your feet. Good socks and good shoes are very important. I would also recommend several days of walks prior to leaving to get your body and feet used to daily walks.

Pack light, start slowly, be flexible in your daily schedule if your time allows it and let the Camino take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thank you Grayland and Tyrrek for your replies!

I am a very experienced mountaineer and hiker, so what to take/how to pack is taken care of, my concern was whether or not I would need to make arrangements prior to arriving, but you guys pretty much answered that! Well, I am going to buy my plane ticket to Madrdid in the next day or two for around the 15th, pack my bag and go! Can't wait............. This forum has been very helpful, thank you everyone who has taken the time to reply to us "First timers". I will not take a guide book (too much weight) but will just jot down notes of things to see and recommended places to stay,eat, etc. ( I will take a copy of Don Quixote I bought a couple years ago though!)

Cheers
Mark

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Mark

Although the way is very well signposted I still found it useful to have a guidebook to plan the options for the next day's walk. It's also good for practical things like where is the next big town that's likely to have an ATM etc.

Don Quixote is a good choice (but heavy!). You'll find that you have plenty of windmills to tilt at!

Hi SandyFeet,
You are well set up if you are a Hiker and mountaineer 'by previous experience, hobby and enjoyment. You are aware, and have, the fitness, simple organisational requirements to do a 'few days away in nature' and you have some well used tried and tested vests, pants, socks, raintops and shoes (boots) with which you are comfortable and trust.
Yes, read the guide books, mark up what you see as a 'must do/see' or photocopy pages (double sided).
Especially if you do the Frances, is improbable you will get lost.
Yet, whatever route and path you take, keep an open mind and faith in what you now know (experience of outdoor pursuits) and allow yourself the time and communication with fellow travellers, the environment and the spiritual purpose for which the CdS is intended.
Whether you are Christian, religious, of another faith, agnostic or atheist openyour mind to experience humanity and relationships the way we would like to see them in our 'real' back to work lives.
Enjoy, I'm sure you will. Go with an open heart and willing spirit. You will begin to understand why you are doing this walk.
On my first day of rain I saw a signpost, 850km to Santiago, and I thought what had I let myself in for. The idea was 'frightening'. I still have the photo to remind me perseverence and humility will overcome. Too much planning means too little use of initiative and making people interactions which makes the experience all the richer.
And yet, if you are to do The Way from SJPDP do not exagerate to start, make sure your feet and self are OK every day. Nurture your feet, legs, mind and body in that order.
God Bless, be positive (which I'm sure you are) and look on the bright side and you will have a grand time.
Wish You the BEST,
Valdis.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.