• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Villafranca on Tuesday...

Gillyweb

Time of past OR future Camino
Villafranca - Santiago (2013)
SJPP - Santiago (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Hi ...... I'm starting my first Camino from Villafranca on Tuesday 30th. Just wondered if anyone else was leaving from there around the same time. Feeling rather nervous about a tough first day and sure I've packed way too much though I can't think what to leave behind !!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome, Gillyweb!

Your first day on the Camino don't have to be tough, maybe just go 19,4km to Herrerias (the middle route via Pereje) :D

Ultreia!

Hi there - yes that's pretty much what I'm planning on doing. I've looked at a few possible auberges around there. I decided two climbs on day one was possibly not a sensible idea so have made contingency plans in my head.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have plenty of albergues from Villafranca del Bierzo (or is it Villafranca Montes de Oca??? think not) to O'Cebreiro. In Herrerias the real ascent begins and there is this lovely private albergue run by American-Spanish (if remember correctly) couple that have met on Camino few years ago 8)

The last shop is in Vega de Valcarce, but you can buy some food in mentioned albergue or have dinner in one of two restaurants in Herrerias. If feeling OK you might even proceed halfway to O'Cebreiro and stop in lovely hamlets of La Faba or Laguna de Castilla (1 or 1,5hrs further on). This way you'd be able to enjoy morning at O'Cebreiro in relative solitude.

Ultreia!

Thanks for that info.... I didn't know the last shop was in Vega de Vacarce so that's useful to know. I'm tempted to book somewhere in advance for that one night as I'm worried about not getting a bed on my first night but equally don't want to plan ahead. I guess I'll see what today brings as I finally travel on to my starting point. Thanks for your advice.

You're welcome, Gillyweb. The shop is on the right side on the main street = Camino.

Keep us posted how you're doing.

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The albergue in Ruitelan is popular and may fill up, but the others along the Valcarce river always have beds; most pilgrims are headed for La Faba or O Cebreiro (which is the Brierley end stage). The food is vegetarian at the Herrerias albergue, and very good.

Thank you for all you're advice guys. I arrived in Santiago yesterday - what a complety incredible journey !! I actually made it all the way to La Faba on the first day and that was such a blessing as the Albergue there is beautiful and I met the people I followed all the way to the end. Roll on next time - this peregrine has to start in St Jean one day.

You'll do it someday, no doubt. I think you're hooked :D
Good to hear you've made it!!!

Take care!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I doing it !!! This summer - starting 5th July. I am so excited. You were right, I'm hooked

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back