• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting june 29 from Madrid

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
I love this part of the camino and starts my third walk from Madrid to Sahagun June 29. I agree with someone that said "don´t talk so much about it " . Keep it the way that it is.Agree.

Roger from Sweden

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I love this part of the camino and starts my third walk from Madrid to Sahagun June 29. I agree with someone that said "don´t talk so much about it " . Keep it the way that it is.Agree.

Roger from Sweden
What, again??? :)
You are true lover of this route!!!
I'll keep quiet, OK? ;)

What, again??? :)
You are true lover of this route!!!
I'll keep quiet, OK? ;)
Thank you :) I walked my first camino with my son year 2000 Camino Francés. Camino de Madrid takes me back to that camino when most people spoke only spanish, you had to ask people in bars if they could make you dinner , for example in Alcazaren and Castromonte. There are not many people you meet. Most of the time you are alone. And the best thing about Camino de Madrid , you walk alot on small roads hardly no asphalt.
Year 2014 I walked Camino de Levante from Valencia and had to stop in La Robla because I got sick. This year I take it slow and walk to Sahagun.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen camino on this route, Roger. I remember hearing from you and seeing pics. So lucky to walk it again! I agree with you completely about the asphalt, or lack of it, that makes walking a pleasure. Well, maybe except for that one really stony part -- where was it? -- and that really deep sand through the pine forest! -- but all in all it's got to be the most off-road camino of any!

I heard from someone that the couple in the Bar Caribe in Castromonte is still working and keeping things going. That must put them in their upper 90s -- amazing! Have a great time, buen camino, Laurie

Thank you :) I walked my first camino with my son year 2000 Camino Francés. Camino de Madrid takes me back to that camino when most people spoke only spanish, you had to ask people in bars if they could make you dinner , for example in Alcazaren and Castromonte. There are not many people you meet. Most of the time you are alone. And the best thing about Camino de Madrid , you walk alot on small roads hardly no asphalt.
Year 2014 I walked Camino de Levante from Valencia and had to stop in La Robla because I got sick. This year I take it slow and walk to Sahagun.
I remember it oh so well, Roger. After all it was last year for me. And Levante this year. So I guess we'll be kind of walking side by side in a 100km distance ;)

Ultreia!

...Well, maybe except for that one really stony part -- where was it? -- and that really deep sand through the pine forest! -- but all in all it's got to be the most off-road camino of any!
I heard from someone that the couple in the Bar Caribe in Castromonte is still working and keeping things going. That must put them in their upper 90s -- amazing! Have a great time, buen camino, Laurie

I don't realy remember very stony part (Cercedilla to Segovia maybe?) and the sandy path which was true balsam for my feet between Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva and Nava de la Asuncion in the shade of pine trees was a gem. Also sandy path after Coca was nice.

And yes, reports as from May of this year from Bar Caribe in Castromonte that the couple is still very much on the scene. Without preparing food though!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

hej Roger,
jag ser ditt namn på detta forum för andra gången för de få svenskar som finns här lägger jag faktiskt märke till. Jag har träffat så oerhört få under mina vandringar, de kan räknas på ena handens fingrar.Första gången jag såg ditt namn var när jag började läsa på inför nästa vårs Camino de Levante och nu senast när jag insett att jag hinner gå Camino de Madrid innan hösten drar igång den 1 oktober. Det verkar som om de flesta av mina vandringar är följden av snabba beslut. Alla utom den allra första från Sahagún till Santiago. Jag valde Sahagún som utgångspunkt för att jag tyckte att det var ett så vackert namn och för att jag räknade med att hinna gå därifrån till Santiago under den tid jag hade på mig. Den gången förberedde jag min ordentligt. Det har varit lite si och så med den saken de senaste åren men det funkar ändå. Blåsor får jag hur jag än bär mig åt och vädret kan man inte förutsäga. I våras kom jag iväg lite sent på Via de la Plata, i början av maj. Jag visste att det var i senaste laget men jag blev ändå ganska tagen av den oerhörda värme som kom alldeles för tidigt detta år.
Har du något klokt att säga om Camino de Madrid respektive de Levante som du vill delge mig?
undrar
Margareta

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't realy remember very stony part (Cercedilla to Segovia maybe?) and the sandy path which was true balsam for my feet between Sta.Maria la Real de Nieva and Nava de la Asuncion in the shade of pine trees was a gem. Also sandy path after Coca was nice.

And yes, reports as from May of this year from Bar Caribe in Castromonte that the couple is still very much on the scene. Without preparing food though!

Hi K1

I have come to this thread very late! My diary says that there was a very stony section soon after leaving Villalon de Campos on the way to Sandervas de Campos, and notes my relief when we finally got onto a smoother surface. And I also found the deep sand in places to be a real trial!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hi K1

I have come to this thread very late! My diary says that there was a very stony section soon after leaving Villalon de Campos on the way to Sandervas de Campos, and notes my relief when we finally got onto a smoother surface. And I also found the deep sand in places to be a real trial!

Alan

You could be right about section after Villalon (wasn't it flat???) but I'm not at home and have no access to my photos to check that out. And for really deep sand (which I can hardly remember on any section) I just went few feets off the main path and walked on ground covered with pine needles and it was fine.

K1

Hi K1

Alan

Life was not joyous for me Alan between Colmenar Viejo and Manzanares.
If there was one rock on the path i never tripped over then i will go he.
Very hot day and i think worse than the way in Zubiri which i still find hard as going down hill is not my go with these arthritic knees

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi K1

Alan

That isn't the stony section I remember because I was walking alone after Villalon, and I remember that I had companionship to grumble with while walking this section. I'll have to dig out my journal and see if I can find a reference -- not that it matters, but it's always fun to go back and relive these things! Laurie

Hi K1

Alan

Finally found it! My notes say that between Segovia and Santa Maria, but before Pinilla, we hit the following: "There were some real penitential stretches -- several kms on big loose rocks, some alongside a hot curvy road, then some of that nice pine forest with sand that you sink into. Lovely to walk in the pines and pine needles, no so lovely to sink in the sand up to your boot top."

I have a memory that this might have been on an abandoned rail bed but there was no alternative to the stones. Does this description ring any bells? It wasn't like the roman road where the rocks are all immovable and embedded in the earth, it was a long stretch of very big loose stones that were very unpleasant to walk on. But that's about the only unpleasant thing I remember from the Camino de Madrid!

Believe me I tried but I can't remember any "loose rocks" stretch after Segovia. I've also checked my photos and there was nothing like that. :confused: Actually I can't even imagine it because it was so flat all the way to Sahagun. If it was meant "via verde" that's something else, but it wasn't hard to walk at all. On the contrary, it was very nice.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Believe me I tried but I can't remember any "loose rocks" stretch after Segovia. I've also checked my photos and there was nothing like that. :confused: Actually I can't even imagine it because it was so flat all the way to Sahagun. If it was meant "via verde" that's something else, but it wasn't hard to walk at all. On the contrary, it was very nice.
I suppose it's possible they got the camino off the rocks between the time I walked and you walked Kinky. I'm sure you would remember it if you walked it because it was really tough. It was flat, just a big flat pile of big loose rocks.

If we tell them how hard it was to walk in the loose sand they might yet stay away...

Actually, I'd be fine with a few more pilgrims. We met ONE last Easter!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My notes say that between Segovia and Santa Maria, but before Pinilla

I have a memory that this might have been on an abandoned rail

If it was on an abandoned rail, that should have been a short stretch between Los Huertos and Añe (the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de las Vegas and the bridge over Eresma River could serve as rough references of the starting and ending points of that stretch).

If it was on an abandoned rail, that should have been a short stretch between Los Huertos and Añe (the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de las Vegas and the bridge over Eresma River could serve as rough references of the starting and ending points of that stretch).

I have no way of corroborating this or not, but I am glad to know that I was not delusional! Buen camino, Laurie

I remember this stretch. It ends at the bridge as @Castilian mentioned (shortly after the bridge there's Peter Catlow's plaque), but Via Verde on disused train tracks was a very solid gravel in 2014. No loose rocks at all as I can remember.
Maybe someone (like @Undermanager or @Maya Amanecer 2015 ) that walked it this year can tell us more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hej Roger,
jag ser ditt namn på detta forum för andra gången för de få svenskar som finns här lägger jag faktiskt märke till. Jag har träffat så oerhört få under mina vandringar, de kan räknas på ena handens fingrar.Första gången jag såg ditt namn var när jag började läsa på inför nästa vårs Camino de Levante och nu senast när jag insett att jag hinner gå Camino de Madrid innan hösten drar igång den 1 oktober. Det verkar som om de flesta av mina vandringar är följden av snabba beslut. Alla utom den allra första från Sahagún till Santiago. Jag valde Sahagún som utgångspunkt för att jag tyckte att det var ett så vackert namn och för att jag räknade med att hinna gå därifrån till Santiago under den tid jag hade på mig. Den gången förberedde jag min ordentligt. Det har varit lite si och så med den saken de senaste åren men det funkar ändå. Blåsor får jag hur jag än bär mig åt och vädret kan man inte förutsäga. I våras kom jag iväg lite sent på Via de la Plata, i början av maj. Jag visste att det var i senaste laget men jag blev ändå ganska tagen av den oerhörda värme som kom alldeles för tidigt detta år.
Har du något klokt att säga om Camino de Madrid respektive de Levante som du vill delge mig?
undrar
Margareta

Hej Margareta,

Det är sant att det finns få svenskar därute. Danskar och norrmän ja, men jag minns inte när jag mötte någon från Sverige senast!

Så du ska gå Camino de Madrid i maj i år? Jag börjar i juni. Du kan väl posta dina äventyr här så att du krattar vägen för mig som kommer efter...!

Levante är en trevlig tur; hör av dig om du har några frågor.

Ciao/BP

Hej Margareta,

Det är sant att det finns få svenskar därute. Danskar och norrmän ja, men jag minns inte när jag mötte någon från Sverige senast!

Så du ska gå Camino de Madrid i maj i år? Jag börjar i juni. Du kan väl posta dina äventyr här så att du krattar vägen för mig som kommer efter...!

Levante är en trevlig tur; hör av dig om du har några frågor.

Ciao/BP

Kul att höra av dig! Om mina jobb tillåter det ger jag mig av i maj igen. I höstas tog jag tåget mellan Cercedilla och Segovia för en menisk bråkade och det verkade som om den gamla romerska vägen var lång, lång och knagglig och jag ville inte riskera att vrida knäet. Sedan berättade en av de få vandrare jag träffade på längre fram att det finns en Carretera republicana som man tydligen kan gå. Längre men inte knagglig. Har du nåt att säga om Guadarrama? Annars älskade jag varenda meter av den vägen. Så lite folk och så vackert. Jag köpte en guide av föreningen i Madrid som vägde men hade de bästa kartor jag någonsin har sett.

Jag återkommer gärna med frågor om Levanteleden.
Hasta la próxima
Margareta

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Roger from Sweden
Hej Roger, på onsdag lämnar jag Madrid. Om jag tycker att jag har nåt viktigt att berätta om vägen gör jag det gärna. Skicka i så fall din mejladress till margotsoder@gmail.com för jag kommer inte att besöka den här sidan.
Hälsningar,
Margareta

Roger from Sweden

Hej Roger,

Du kommer att vara 4 dagar efter mig: jag börjar den 25:e. Du hinner säkert ikapp! Vi ses!! Jag ska städa härbärgena åt dig :OP

Ciao/BP

Hej Roger, på onsdag lämnar jag Madrid. Om jag tycker att jag har nåt viktigt att berätta om vägen gör jag det gärna. Skicka i så fall din mejladress till margotsoder@gmail.com för jag kommer inte att besöka den här sidan.
Hälsningar,
Margareta
om
Rogerhogstrom@ymail.com är min mailadr skicka gärna mail under vägen. Från Madrid till Sahagun är min stor favorit. Jag kommer att gå 40 mil på Via de la plata från Merida i sommar. Jag har ju vandrat Camino de Madrid 3 gånger mycket för en bra tillgång på härbergen åtminstone efter Segovia. Lycka till och njut av färden. /Roger

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back