• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Mozarabe from Malaga in a couple of days

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your schedule permits it would be well worth meeting up with the Amigos in Malaga. They’re about 1km east of the bull-ring and meet (I think) on Tuesday evening in a community centre.they’re online also if you want specific advice. Very friendly and full of current info and they have their (Spanish only) guide to the Mozerabe and accommodation lists available.

If you’re overnighting in Malaga either @Tincatinker or I could point you to some excellent bars and restaurants.

Thanks for your reply. I am landing in Malaga just after midnight, next Wednesday morning. After a bit of sleep I’m heading for the Cathedral and then Decathlon to get some camping gas. My plan is to get a bus to the outskirts of town before starting my Camino.
I have used the Amigo’s site to find some information to help in planning.
Not sure how far I’ll get- I have about 6 weeks.
I did start the Vdl a couple of years ago, just after COVID. But closure of albergue s and seemingly whole villages plus temperatures of 48c sent me home from Salamanca.
Thanks again

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone walked this route recently? I am interested in whether Albergues and hostels are now all open.
Very recently and still walking the Mozarabe; you’ll find @AJGuillaume
Andrew and Rachel have walked via the 3
Starting points now.(almeria , jaena and just recently from Malaga. They are a few days past Baena now.
Check out their ‘live’ thread. From #87 they are back on Mozarabe currently from Malaga. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I am landing in Malaga just after midnight, next Wednesday morning. After a bit of sleep I’m heading for the Cathedral and then Decathlon to get some camping gas. My plan is to get a bus to the outskirts of town before starting my Camino.
I have used the Amigo’s site to find some information to help in planning.
Not sure how far I’ll get- I have about 6 weeks.
I did start the Vdl a couple of years ago, just after COVID. But closure of albergue s and seemingly whole villages plus temperatures of 48c sent me home from Salamanca.
Thanks again
Splendid. I’m sure you’ll have a great time. The cathedral may well be the starting point - with a sello, but the Iglesia De Santiago is near the Plaza de Merced (more precisely outside the back entrance to El Pimpi); but they’re not open in the early morning.

The Amigos guide only covers their ‘patch’ up to Encinas Reales; but this page has some contact numbers which may prove useful.

Attachments

• 4407FC44-B62F-4AB4-9AB2-C45C81D67DA9.jpeg
    4407FC44-B62F-4AB4-9AB2-C45C81D67DA9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone walked this route recently? I am interested in whether Albergues and hostels are now all open.
Hola @David Hobson

We're currently on the MozĂĄrabe. We have walked from AlmerĂ­a to Baena, took a bus to MĂĄlaga, and walked back to Baena. Yesterday we walked from Baena to Castro del RĂ­o, and today to Santa Cruz. Tomorrow CĂłrdoba.

All albergues are open.

Attached is the document I received from the AsociaciĂłn Jacobea de MĂĄlaga.

One error: the phone number in Encinas Reales is 629 718 918.

If you have any questions, please ask.

ÂĄBuen Camino!

Attachments

• Camino MozĂĄrabe de MĂĄlaga.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
If your schedule permits it would be well worth meeting up with the Amigos in Malaga. They’re about 1km east of the bull-ring and meet (I think) on Tuesday evening in a community centre.they’re online also if you want specific advice. Very friendly and full of current info and they have their (Spanish only) guide to the Mozerabe and accommodation lists available.

If you’re overnighting in Malaga either @Tincatinker or I could point you to some excellent bars and restaurants.
They meet indeed on Tuesdays:
Calle RepĂșblica Argentina nÂș 9, after 19:00 (7pm)
They'll give you a credencial, and a sello.

Attachments

• PXL_20230418_170056760.jpg
    PXL_20230418_170056760.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
Ooh Andrew and Rachel. Hola. I have vivid memories of Castro del Rio. And Miguel’s cafe. (May 2015) I wonder if it / he is still there. And Cordoba is just ahead. What a treat. I’ll head over to your live thread. Enjoy 😍

Attachments

• B76647E1-4146-42C6-AD39-BD53B6E28609.jpeg
    B76647E1-4146-42C6-AD39-BD53B6E28609.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 30
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ooh Andrew and Rachel. Hola. I have vivid memories of Castro del Rio. And Miguel’s cafe. (May 2015) I wonder if it / he is still there. And Cordoba is just ahead. What a treat. I’ll head over to your live thread. Enjoy 😍
Hola @Pelerina ,

Miguel no longer has his café. He's working on setting up an albergue.

I haven't been updating the live thread, I have been writing on FindPenguins, and that often is all I can do after a day's walk 😄

Hola @Pelerina ,

Miguel no longer has his café. He's working on setting up an albergue.

I haven't been updating the live thread, I have been writing on FindPenguins, and that often is all I can do after a day's walk 😄
I’ll send you a PM. That’s great re Miguel. I remember him well. D and I would happily walk the Mozarabe again.

My plan is to get a bus to the outskirts of town before starting my Camino.
Bus 21 will take you to Junta de Los Caminos.
From the end bus stop, you cross the road and walk down a street to your right, behind the building in the photo. There's work being done on that part of the Camino, not sure whether it's finished.

Attachments

• PXL_20230522_062435676.jpg
    PXL_20230522_062435676.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked from Malaga to Cordoba a few weeks ago. Everywhere was open. I note of caution though, distances between places get longer and therefore water is a problem. Obviously no open water to filter. I carried 4 to 5 litres.
Buen Camino

David Hobson or anyone walking the Malaga route:
I noticed the albergue at Almogia is no longer listed on gronze.com
Did you notice if it was open?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back