• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my camino frances on 28th of may!

Huub den Boer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances june/july 2021
Hello everyone,

This is just me, expressing my joy that I am finaly going to do the Camino, it was always something I was going to later, in the mythical land we call someday.

Well my health has made some decisions for me, later is now.

I will be starting in SJPP, at first I planned to start from Pamplona. But I really want to cross the pyrenees.
Anyone has any tips, do's and dont's flying into France from the Netherlands.
They will let me through right?
I am fully vaxxed luckely. Got my PCR test planned and have my ' enegement-sur-l'honneur' form to fill out before I leave.
So I should be good. Or am I forgetting anything?

I have booked the first couple of sleeping arrangements to get a lay of the land and to get comfortable winging it from then on.

I feel ready and can't wait to start my journey.

I have gotten so much great advice on this forum, thank you all! you guys are awesome!.

Wishing you all the best, and hoping to see some of you guys/gals out there.

Regards,

Huub

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everyone,

This is just me, expressing my joy that I am finaly going to do the Camino, it was always something I was going to later, in the mythical land we call someday.

I will be starting in SJPP, at first I planned to start from Pamplona. But I really want to cross the pyrenees.
I am fully vaxxed luckely. Got my PCR test planned and have my ' enegement-sur-l'honneur' form to fill out before I leave.

I have booked the first couple of sleeping arrangements to get a lay of the land and to get comfortable winging it from then on.

I have gotten so much great advice on this forum, thank you all! you guys are awesome!.

Regards,

Huub
Good day Huub:

Hope all the travel restrictions are lifted for you to do this wonderful walk. I can tell you its an experience you will never forget. You will love it and get to meet some great people as an added bonus. I still keep in touch with people I met four years ago on this walk. Good luck and wishing you the very best.

The only piece of advice I can offer is make sure you always have water with you. Although you are never too far from a water source, hot weather and no water are a very poor combination. I got stuck on the very first day - Via Val Carlos route to Roncesvalles (Napoleon route was closed due to snow). One woman actually suffered dehydration and had to be taken to hospital. Had I filled up my water bottle in a town I passed earlier, I would have been fine. I just had the stupid idea that I could walk another 4 hours, in the heat and very little water. But, this was a result of my own stupidity. There are water sources along the way - just take advantage of them.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good day Huub:

Hope all the travel restrictions are lifted for you to do this wonderful walk. I can tell you its an experience you will never forget. You will love it and get to meet some great people as an added bonus. I still keep in touch with people I met four years ago on this walk. Good luck and wishing you the very best.

The only piece of advice I can offer is make sure you always have water with you. Although you are never too far from a water source, hot weather and no water are a very poor combination. I got stuck on the very first day - Via Val Carlos route to Roncesvalles (Napoleon route was closed due to snow). One woman actually suffered dehydration and had to be taken to hospital. Had I filled up my water bottle in a town I passed earlier, I would have been fine. I just had the stupid idea that I could walk another 4 hours, in the heat and very little water. But, this was a result of my own stupidity. There are water sources along the way - just take advantage of them.

Buen Camino
Hello Bernie,

restriction wise I should be good, keeping close tabs on the sources available for me.

I am very curious what the camino will bring for me. I’ll keep my head and heart open for all that it may bring.

That is no joke, running out of water. I’ll make sure I am not going to underesimate my water needs.
Sometimes we think we are imortal or something. Nature reminds us of our place.

Thank you for your response,

all the best!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone,

Regards,

Huub
Hi Huub,
That's good news!
I wish you a buen Camino and I also will start the Camino Frances from 15th june this year.
I am curious about your experiences.
Regards, Noud

Hi Huub,
That's good news!
I wish you a buen Camino and I also will start the Camino Frances from 15th june this year.
I am curious about your experiences.
Regards, Noud
Hello Noud,
Thank you very much!

When you’re heading out, ill be used to the road a bit, I hope at least😝. If you have any question then, feel free to ask. Always happy to ask.

Fellow dutchie btw? Judging by your name.

buen Camino!

Hello Noud,
Thank you very much!

When you’re heading out, ill be used to the road a bit, I hope at least😝. If you have any question then, feel free to ask. Always happy to ask.

Fellow dutchie btw? Judging by your name.

buen Camino!
I'm also from the Netherlands (from the south)
Can I also follow you digitally?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoy, Huub! Prepare for a life-changing experience. Regards from another Dutchie ;)

Enjoy, Huub! Prepare for a life-changing experience. Regards from another Dutchie ;)
Dankjewel Marcel!

How does one prepare for that 😝

Do you have any tips for me, some must see’s? Or other nugget of wisdom, besides the usual ‘pack light’ ‘drink plenty’ kind of stuff?

Regards

Good luck. All you'll need to do is convince anyone who asks that you are on an essential journey. The criteria are widely publicised.

Buen Camino
And I had a travel company tell me I was fine to come to Spain and walk. I’m not sure where they get their info but I think they are misleading people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I, too ran out of water on way to roncesvalle. When I left SJPP it was hot and sunny, once on Pyrenees, freezing rain, then snow!⛄️ I ended up melting snow to drink. But those are the wonderful challenges of the Camino! I hope you can travel there safely and embrace all the amazing experiences that await you. Buen Camino!
NancyLee

Attachments

• CD21905C-DB2A-42D1-BC68-58EF721991F7.jpeg
    CD21905C-DB2A-42D1-BC68-58EF721991F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 61749FBD-DE91-4F45-8EC2-E7BBC0F888C6.jpeg
    61749FBD-DE91-4F45-8EC2-E7BBC0F888C6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I, too ran out of water on way to roncesvalle. When I left SJPP it was hot and sunny, once on Pyrenees, freezing rain, then snow!⛄️ I ended up melting snow to drink. But those are the wonderful challenges of the Camino! I hope you can travel there safely and embrace all the amazing experiences that await you. Buen Camino!
NancyLee
That sounds like a memorable experience haha, drinking pyrenees snow water. Double on water when going up, check: ✅

what time of year was this?
Lovely photos!
ty very much

Hello everyone,

Regards,

Huub
Huub, have a wonderful time and savour every moment. If this past year has thought us anything it is that.

I too hope to cross the Pyrenees as soon as I can travel safely. When I began my Camino in 2016 the route was closed because of snow so even though I have the last leg from Triacastela to Santiago to complete and of course the trek to the "end of the world" in Finisterre I then plan to return to St Jean de Pied and begin again and cross the Pyrenees.

There's something magical about walking the Camino - you will love it.

Buen Camino

Good luck Huub from another Dutchie ;-)

You made your reservations already, so I suppose you sleep in Roncesvalles in Hotel La Posada? The big albergue (I have been a hospitalera there for the last six years and I am also a member of the Working Group of Hospitaleros) is closed at the moment, probably until the end of June. If you are a member of the 'Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob' (the Dutch Assiciation of Saint James) you have received yesterday evening the newest 'Ultreia' (Dutch monthly newsletter of the Association) with up-to-date-information of our Working Group about the Pilgrim's Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the auberges at Orrisson and the new auberge Borda, just 900 metres after Orisson, and of course information about the situation at the moment in Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Huub, have a wonderful time and savour every moment. If this past year has thought us anything it is that.

I too hope to cross the Pyrenees as soon as I can travel safely. When I began my Camino in 2016 the route was closed because of snow so even though I have the last leg from Triacastela to Santiago to complete and of course the trek to the "end of the world" in Finisterre I then plan to return to St Jean de Pied and begin again and cross the Pyrenees.

There's something magical about walking the Camino - you will love it.

Buen Camino
Hello,

Thank you!!

Wish you all the best and happy trails!

Good luck Huub from another Dutchie ;-)

You made your reservations already, so I suppose you sleep in Roncesvalles in Hotel La Posada? The big albergue (I have been a hospitalera there for the last six years and I am also a member of the Working Group of Hospitaleros) is closed at the moment, probably until the end of June. If you are a member of the 'Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob' (the Dutch Assiciation of Saint James) you have received yesterday evening the newest 'Ultreia' (Dutch monthly newsletter of the Association) with up-to-date-information of our Working Group about the Pilgrim's Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the auberges at Orrisson and the new auberge Borda, just 900 metres after Orisson, and of course information about the situation at the moment in Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!

Hi there!

Man this place is just crawling with people from the Netherlands isn't it 😋 And we even have a Dutch association of St. James. I am such a newbie, have to check that out. Thanks for the tip. I will sign up for the newsletter. Could you send me the latest newsletter? would love to read it.

Feels like there is a whole new world opening up to me, literally and figuratively. Feels good and exciting.

Yes I have made the first few reservations already. In Roncesvalles I am going to Hotel Roncesvalles not La Posada. Seemed like a good choice, we'll see.

Are you still a hospitalera there? what excactly does that mean? do you work there, is it your place? You must have met so many cool and interesting people.

Very nice to meet you!

Thank you very much

Buen Camino!
Edited by Moderator to remove personal information. Please use the PM function

Last edited by a moderator:
Huub, will send you an e-mail tonight (in Dutch 😉).

Yes, I am still a hospitalera. We are a group of 130-140 Dutch volunteers who work and live there each for two weeks in groups of 6-8 hospitaleros per period as from the beginning of March until mid- November (in non-Covid years that is). I was scheduled to work there last April, but haven't been there. Now I hope one of the hospitaleros who are scheduled in the next months has to cancel his period, so in that case I can replace him or her!

And yes, we meet so many interesting people daily, that is what makes the day of a hospitaler@ so phantastic we want to do it again, and again, and again ....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Man this place is just crawling with people from the Netherlands isn't it
As is the Camino itself!
Could you send me the latest newsletter? '@gmail.com' would love to read it.
You should edit your post to remove your actual email address. Members can send private messages to each other without revealing their email address for all the world (and spam-bots) to see.

I hope that you will keep us updated as you are on the Camino as to the actual conditions on the ground. Inquiring pilgrims want to know!

Huub, will send you an e-mail tonight (in Dutch 😉).

Yes, I am still a hospitalera. We are a group of 130-140 Dutch volunteers who work and live there each for two weeks in groups of 6-8 hospitaleros per period as from the beginning of March until mid- November (in non-Covid years that is). I was scheduled to work there last April, but haven't been there. Now I hope one of the hospitaleros who are scheduled in the next months has to cancel his period, so in that case I can replace him or her!

And yes, we meet so many interesting people daily, that is what makes the day of a hospitaler@ so phantastic we want to do it again, and again, and again ....
Hi!

Thanks for taking the time, I’ll write a response tonight.

ty

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As is the Camino itself!

You should edit your post to remove your actual email address. Members can send private messages to each other without revealing their email address for all the world (and spam-bots) to see.

I hope that you will keep us updated as you are on the Camino as to the actual conditions on the ground. Inquiring pilgrims want to know!
Awesome!

that’s probably a good idea, thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back