• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my Camino from Burgos on 4th of march 16

Abdulla

Time of past OR future Camino
19 days in march 2016
Hello,
I am 30 yo, and I am starting my 19 days walk from Burgos, on the 4th of march 16, I am a hard working athelete, and I have been training since november , walking at least 26km a day 6 days a week. I have some questions, It will be much appreciated if someone could help me.

1-Its about 500km from Burgos, I have only 19 days! is my plan doable? I mean At this time of the year?
2- how's the weather at that time of the year in the route from burgos to santiago.
3- will I be alone? Or I will have some company at this time. I don't mind walking alone, but it will be nice if I found some open hostels.

Thanks in advance,
Abdulla,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, Abdulla. Welcome to the forum! I wish you a pleasant and fruitful stay among us.

Its about 500km from Burgos, I have only 19 days! is my plan doable? I mean At this time of the year?

Yes. The time of the year shouldn't be a problem. The only thing related with the time of the year that could make it undoable would be too much snow at some mountain pass that didn't allow to pass it (or that didn't make it advisable) but that's really unlikely on your dates.

how's the weather at that time of the year in the route from burgos to santiago.

Unpredictable. Weather is unpredictable and even more in that month that is so variable weather wise. It might be sunny or rainy or a mix. In the meseta (just one of the areas that you'll cross), maximum temperatures above 10ºC are likely but aren't guaranteed as well as minimum temperatures lower than 5ºC are likely too but aren't guaranteed either (i.e.: you might find minimum temperatures over 5ºC but you might find too minimum temperatures bellow 0ºC...). Fog may appear on some stages or may not appear...

will I be alone?

No.

1-Its about 500km from Burgos, I have only 19 days! is my plan doable? I mean At this time of the year?
2- how's the weather at that time of the year in the route from burgos to santiago.
3- will I be alone? Or I will have some company at this time. I don't mind walking alone, but it will be nice if I found some open hostels.

Thanks in advance,
Abdulla,

1. As an athlete that should be doable.
2. Pretty much everything, but do prepare for rain.
3. No.

Buen Camino ;-) SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,
I am 30 yo, and I am starting my 19 days walk from Burgos, on the 4th of march 16, I am a hard working athelete, and I have been training since november , walking at least 26km a day 6 days a week. I have some questions, It will be much appreciated if someone could help me.

Thanks in advance,
Abdulla,
1. As an athlete that should be doable.
2. Pretty much everything, but do prepare for rain.
3. No.

Buen Camino ;-) SY
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Abdulla,
Hi Abdulla, welcome to this wonderful forum.
1, it's doable, but you have to walk about 26km a day.
2 , the weather you can't predict.
3 , you will be not alone.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

With that kind of preparation, you should be fine, but I have seen very fit people fall by the wayside due to:
1. Heavy packs.
2. Ignoring pain and injury.
So go with very little except an open mind - and be prepared to change it; be flexible!

Hi Abdulla,
Welcome to the Foum.

You will have to walk 26 km a day which you are already doing, so that should be fine. That is not counting restdays, it could be good to allow for one or two days of rest just in case. If you do not spend the days, you will have more days in Santiago or you could continue to Finisterre.
It is hard to predict the weather but as SYates writes, be prepared for rain and maybe even snow around O'Cebreio. Stay warm, wear wool and make sure your boots are waterproof.
You will not be alone!
Buen Camino to you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in march and had everything from warm to almost hot weather to 5cm of snow in 2 hours. Anything is possible.

Burgos to SdC in 19 days surely is possible, but Unfortunately your fitness level does not guarantee you a problem free walk. I am very fit and on my first camino had many many foot and leg issues. Also here, anything is possible.

Nope, you wont be alone. Plenty of nice people to walk, talk and dine with :)

Last edited:
Hi, Abdullah,
I think your plan is perfectly do-able if everything goes well, but I would echo Kanga and Dutch's caution. I have found that frequently it's those young, very fit athletes like you who crash and burn. We older folks have less resistance and stamina and are more likely to stop at about the point our bodies begin to protest. That means we never push it to the breaking point and are able to carry on the next day. You young-uns, since you have superior cardiovascular systems and general overall fitness, can keep going, thinking you will walk through whatever pain you are experiencing. And sometimes that's a bad decision. Wishing you an injury-free buen camino!

I totally decided for myself that the correct thing is to rent a bicycle from Burgos to Leon, the flat meseta part. You see the same, just move slightly faster. Will save you a few days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm 76 and also plan to go from Burgos starting in early March. I'm very physically fit, and plan to complete the 285 miles in 25 days or so. I feel that will be a leisurly pace of 12-14 miles a day or so. I now slow jog about 20 miles a week, and have done 5 marathons in the past...I feel it is definitely doable. My concern is the albergues along the way, and to know how much they charge upfront, as well as the quality of the services. Also, do I have to arrive by any particular time (i.e. 4PM), and am I only allowed to stay one night each? Any help will be appreciated, since I am pretty much jumping into the unknown. I've read enough to know to travel light, so I'm trying to keep my loaded backpack to 12 lbs or less. Thank you for any responses and info you may wish to provide.

... My concern is the albergues along the way, and to know how much they charge upfront, as well as the quality of the services. Also, do I have to arrive by any particular time (i.e. 4PM), and am I only allowed to stay one night each? ...

Costs for albergues range from donation (which doesn't mean it is free!) to up to 15 Euro in private albergues. Average cost per night is ~8 Euro.
The services are a bit like in a youth hostel of times gone by, bunk beds, toilet, shower and perhaps a kitchen to prepare your own meals. Some albergues also offer meals.
As you have to leave the albergue at around 8:00 in the morning, you will be at your next overnight stop in the afternoon, but they will let you in until closing time (~22:00) if there are free beds. And yes, you are only allowed to stay one night, unless you are ill/injured. Buen Camino, SY

Costs for albergues range from donation (which doesn't mean it is free!) to up to 15 Euro in private albergues. Average cost per night is ~8 Euro.
The services are a bit like in a youth hostel of times gone by, bunk beds, toilet, shower and perhaps a kitchen to prepare your own meals. Some albergues also offer meals.
As you have to leave the albergue at around 8:00 in the morning, you will be at your next overnight stop in the afternoon, but they will let you in until closing time (~22:00) if there are free beds. And yes, you are only allowed to stay one night, unless you are ill/injured. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you so much for the information.

Thank you very much for the information. I plan to be on the road by 8AM and end the day by 3-4PM. Hope there are some local pubs so I can finish the day will a cold beer or 2-3-4 and a hot meal....whatever.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... I plan to be on the road by 8AM and end the day by 3-4PM. Hope there are some local pubs so I can finish the day will a cold beer or 2-3-4 and a hot meal....whatever.

No worries there will be plenty! And also enough Cafe con Leche opportunities whist you are walking. Have a wonderful camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back