• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my camino tomorrow!! Yippee!!

AnnieBobanny

Well tomorrow is the big day! I fly from London to Biarritz, then training it from Bayonne to St Jean, where I'll stay over at the L’Esprit du Chemin, then set out on Thursday morning for my journey. Wow. I only made the decision to do this about 3 weeks ago, so I've been really busy with preparations and I don't think it's really sunk in yet that I'm actually going to DO this. The odds may be against me, considering that I'm middle-aged, over-weight, out of shape, and a smoker. But those are some of the reasons I need to do this. More importantly I need to do it for my spiritual health. So I AM going to do it, come hell or high water. It's make or break time. Wish me luck!

Annie x

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If its any consolation I walked the Camino Inglés in 2009 with a blocked artery and lived to tell the tale.

I hope you have two walking sticks as they are invaluable for getting unfit people up mountains. :) I learnt this in 2009.

Have you booked the albergue that is on the way to Roncenvalles? If not see if you can get in.

If you find you are really not going to manage all of the Camino, at least go by bus or train to Sarria and walk the last 113km to get your Compostella.

But if you really want to fulfill your dreams take it easy, walk at your own pace and you will get there. Don't skip the meseta or go by bus from the outskirts into Burgos. People often jump these and then regret doing so afterwards.

Anyway you do not need anymore advice (even from unfit, overweight, insulin-dependent 54 year old non-smokers)

Otherwise blessings.

Take your time, walk as much or as little as you can each day, enjoy ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey AnnieB - away you go - Hurrah! It won't be remotely like you have imagined it - but will be marvellous :wink:

From L'Esprit, straight down the cobbled medieval lane, over the bridge and up and away. If you leave town in the dark look back after you pass the town gate pillars as they have embedded tiny lights into them - your first 'field of stars'.

Here's the thing - that first long long long climb and shorter descent to Roncesvalles is pretty tough for those starting on that day so start really early - really early! - so that you don't feel pressured by time. Take time and pace yourself. A good half hour or so break every now and then will revitalise you, and give you a chance to take your boots and socks off and massage your feet. Your feet will start to swell on that first day so be ready to loosen laces rather than suffer.

Be not afraid, it is do-able - millions have done it before you - you will do it and your first experience of a Spanish refugio will be the vast stone building in Roncesvalles, originally a 12th C hospital. The bathrooms are downstairs and along one wall there are shelves just piled with all sorts of things from clothing to kitchen sinks (not really) left by pilgrims who started to realise that they didn't really want to carry 'that' for even one more day (they are 'help yourself' shelves).

It is a terrible thing, reading about people going - the longings start to hit .... I want to be there!

Enjoy, don't forget to look back every now and then to see how far you have walked, it is really empowering (and much better than trying to work out how far you still have to walk :wink: ).

Buen Camino! Ultreiya!

Thanks David,
That "BR.", it stands for "Brother"? Are you a monk? : )
I have worries that my adult self has been conditioned to have, but my child self is very excited about this journey. I have always been a free spirit and taken my own path in life, much to my mother's dismay at times. The camino seems to represent so much of what I cherish: freedom, independence, exploring the world, setting out into the unknown. I'm sure my body will scream at me at times, but so what? It won't kill me, right? There are still many people in the world who have to walk miles every day just for water, so doing the Camino is a way is a luxury and privilege. It's interesting how choice and necessity differentiate our viewpoints on things.

I'll post along the way if I can. I'm sure there must some internet cafes along the way, but if not, so what? lol. I guess that will be my motto for this journey.

I just noticed the link on your profile. Is that shop yours?

Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
AnnieBobanny said:
There are still many people in the world who have to walk miles every day just for water, so doing the Camino is a way is a luxury and privilege.
You are so right Annie. What a great humiliating thought for us all! When I read some of these postings, I wonder how much are we willing to "leave everything behind"! We all have some little "luxury item", whether its something in the way of clothing and equipment, personal cleaning products, food or the new technical possibilities that come on the market on an almost daily rate.
Enjoy your Camino and don't rush this first week until you find your Camino legs (and feet). Buen Camino! Anne

Hi Annie!
I wish you a buen camino!
Take the time in the morning to have the good breakfast at the LÉsprit, ask for a lunchpacket and they will give you a delicious sandwich with omelett made in the morning.
Walk in your own speed up the mountain, do not mind if people rush ahead. There will be daylight to 9 in the evening so you will have time enough, and there is nearly always somebody behind you.
In Roncesvalles you will not experience the old albergue descirbed by Br. David but the brand new luxury albergue that opened in February. Have a good walk.
ranthr

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I never thought I would hear the words luxury and roncesvalles go together.

It almost makes me wish I could set off tommorow myself.

Still, there will no doubt be some old timers who will talk about the bad old days when it was tough to be a pilgrim and today's pilgrims have got it soft. :wink:

David, ranther, and methodist,
ha ha. Well, guys, come on over and join me and all the other pilgrims for another camino. What the hell. Life is short and you only live once. That we know of.

AnnieBobanny said:
David, ranther, and methodist,
ha ha. Well, guys, come on over and join me and all the other pilgrims for another camino. What the hell. Life is short and you only live once. That we know of.

I doubt if we will get a better offer this year but, alas, work and duty calls. Sigh.

Beun Camino and God speed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very happy for you! SJPDP is an absolutely breathtaking town and I could not fathom NOT starting the Camino Frances from there!! Get there with time to visit the Office of the Pilgrim; kind and helpful volunteers. You also need to get your first stamp there :D . Buy some fruits for the Camino and a bottle of water in town. There is a store about 5 houses down from the Office of the Pilgrim solely for The Camino items; stick(s), hats, socks, etc...for those things you may have forgotten. The Citadelle is worth a visit, the Roman Bridge is lovely, and overall the town is so charming.

Bring in enough COMPEED bands, most towns with pharmacies sell them; some at outrageous pricing... :evil:

Not sure how flexible you can be, but only leave SJPDP if good weather....the route is absolutely breathtaking and its beauty will energize you! I was told this was the toughest one-day in the whole Camino. I do not agree. Just go easy, no hurries and before you know it you will be spotting the wonderful Roncesvalles complex from Collado Lepeder! It does begins to go steep downhill from there so calibrate yourself. To me much more difficult than SJPDP to Roncesvalles was Roncesvalles to Zubiri (the last 5 kms is steep downhill-- rough!). At the most early sign of a blister, STOP and COMPEED or Vaseline. I used these two remedies PROACTIVELY and I am VERY proud to say I walked the Camino WITHOUT ONE SINGLE BLISTER!

annakappa said:
What a great humiliating thought for us all!...Enjoy your Camino and don't rush this first week until you find your Camino legs (and feet). Buen Camino! Anne

Thanks for that Anne. I have no intention of rushing the first week! lolol. I'll probably be crawling 10k out of SJPP. hee hee hee

Right, I'm off to repack my bag once again, hopefully getting rid of a few more things.

Annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie
How long do plan for? I too decided on the Camino about 3 weeks ago! I leave for the UK next weeka nd will start on the 2nd of August. I have done other thru-hikes and they are all a spiritual experince and people you will meet make it an even more amazing expereice as you will find support and friends everywhere (maybe a little Trail Magic too, all thru-hikers will know this and you are about to experience it, it is the little wonderful things that happen on the trail that really seem like magic!) Start slow, take breaks when needed, treat yourself to a nice hotel and a hot bath once every week or two. Enjoy your time on the trail and the sights and people! Remember there is no race, only go as far as you are comfortable. Don't concern your self if you feel bad and hurt and are not making the distance planned, as time goes on and furhter down the trail you will find your pace and feel healthier and hurt less, you will look forward to hitting the trail every morning and surprise yourself when you complete it and will forever have the awesome feeling knowing you did it! Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Annie, You sound like a real free spirit! Jumping in to the Camino on 3 weeks notice is fine. You will become strong and fit along the way. But those early days will be a trial. If you get blisters, try different socks, walk in your sandals... whatever it takes to relieve the friction. Stop and take a few days off to let your blisters dry and heal if need be. I've seen pilgrims push on until a doctor says it is time to quit, or take 10 days off.

Have a wonderful time. You sound like the kind of person who is blessed by this kind of experience, and is a blessing to others.

Pack light
David, Victoria, Canada

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Wow, you're all wonderful. Thanks for the support everybody. I had heard about this camino thing several months back, read a bit about it online, then forgot about it. Then I saw that movie The Way, and thought, oh yeah, I remember that, and I'll be damned but I'm going to do that! I just felt compelled, and here I am. I knew it would be amazing. It already is amazing and I haven't even left the house yet :) Thanks everyone.

Don't worry, I've got a really good pair of walking shoes (which I've broken in) and a fantastic pair of insoles for arch support, 3 pair of good merino wool socks from the camping store, plenty of compeeds, blister preventive rub-on stuff by compeeds (read somewhere that vaseline actually increases the heat on hot spots), and a pair of Crocs for down time, so my feet are sorted. Plus I plan to take it easy. This indeed is not a race. I will do what I can and then I will stop and rest. It's that simple.

Buen Camino!
Annie

P.S. By the way, methodist, I ended up buying some poles. Made a mad-dash out last evening to Cotswold's in Covent Garden. They were the only ones open til 8pm.

Wish me luck!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino indeed.

you do not need luck, you are in the care of St James.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen Camino Anne!! I stayed at the very same place in St. Jean. Awesome people!! Have a wonderful journey. Take it slowly. Have you made reservations at Orrison? It is a bit of a journey over the Pyrenees all in one day. Good luck. Post now and then.
Joni

Buen Camino !
You are in for an amazing experience. Enjoy each moment, even the ones where your ankles are sore, your back is tried and your feet can't wait to be out of their boots... Those moments will lessen each day - - we all go through those tough first weeks.

Take your time - my worse offense to myself was to want to keep up to a faster walker because I was enjoying our walking conversation! People can always meet later on, at the albergues so keep to YOUR own pace... this is a key advice I read many times, and experienced myself.

Don't be too tied to schedule - if you see something you want to explore, do so. A 30 minutes side track is not the end of the world.

Water - - - it's everywhere! The fountains are fabulous, cool, refreshing and safe unless marked otherwise. Fill up every chance you get, especially given the weather at this time of the year.

And just LIVE the Camino experience every moment!
Can't wait to hear all about your journey!
Aldy (just returned from my first Camino May-June)

Hi, i wish you good luck.
I'm leaving today for my camino.
Actually, i'm nervous since its my first trip that i do on my own.
Maybe we will meet on the way.
I'm from Canada Québec.
Sorry if my english is not to good.
I'm sure you will succeed and everything will go well for you.
Good luck
Daniel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie & Daniel, You will undoubtedly each have a unique and wonderful Camino.
Be patient with yourself, listen to your body.
May all the pilgrims from the past protect you :)
¡Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back