• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my Camino

James Addington

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone!
So I'm starting my camino in some months. I have about 10 days there (too little but work constraints keep me back) and was wondering if anyone could just aid me in deciding which route to take. I would like to enjoy it and could do about 25km per day.

Also the issue with the schengan visa and accomodation.
Help here would be really appreciated!
Thanks
James

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome James!
I have not walked yet but you should get plenty of help here.

Mike

What country are you a citizen of to be concerned about a visa?

As for where to walk in 10 days, assuming you want to walk the Camino Frances, there are many lovely areas, others not as lovely. I love the part in Navarra: start in SJPP and head toward Burgos. Burgos may be tight (assuming to blisters to slow you down) but doable, and a lovely stretch. The alternative is to walk from Leon to Santiago: you get your compostela, but miss the beautiful Pyrenees and Rioja. But you get O'Cebreiro and Astorga. This site may help: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
James...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015.
Leon - Santiago is very doable in 10 days, though not much time to enjoy the Way, nor time in Santiago. Consider Sarria - Santiago. Reduce km per day to 18 -20 and breath deep, see the sites, enjoy fellow pilgrims and bask in the splendor of the Cathedral city.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Or start in Ponferrada and enjoy any 'leftover' days in Santiago ;-) Buen Camino! SY

Another option is to walk one of the shorter routes and then walk to Muxia and Finisterre. I did a slightly longer Camino Ingles last year over six days, followed by walking to Muxia and Finisterre over five days. You could do the CI in five days and Finisterre in three or four days - a total of eight or nine days - if you wanted to, and have some time in Santiago. It would need some longer days though. At least two of my days were over 30km (Ferrol to Pontedeume and Muxia to Finisterre).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well you give no idea where you are from, if that would involve jetlag and where you could conveniently land. Nor do you indicate your motive(s). Do you want a compostela for example. Can you fly into SDC or A Coruna? If so I would suggest considering Doug's idea of the Ingles. It can be spread over a 5 days or more and yes you could use the excess in SDC or even walk to Finistere or Muxia, or even do the walk of walks around Santiago. The Ingles seems to be recommended by all on this forum as a lovely walk. Good luck with your decisions, planning and training. Welcome and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I was looking at starting in Leon but dont think i want to walk that much and would rather enjoy myself! I'll look into your ideas and see!
oh, and im from South Africa, the visa requirements include accommodation per night and i dont know how to arrange that. Perhaps just reserving hotels along the route with no cancellation fees? Or perhaps an invitation letter?

Thanks hey!

PM Johnnie Walker re letter of recommendation. Maybe a free cancellation booking with something like booking.com? Then cancel once you are in Spain?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola and welcome. If you take your time on the Camino Inglés it could take up to 9 days. It is possible to book nearly all places on booking.com or venere.com which gives you proof of accomodation. The exceptions are the albergues, but as Al says you could cancel outside of the time limit and avoid charges. Mesón Novo has a cancellation charge but is a good place to stay if breaking the Betanzos/Bruma stage. If you book for one night at Meson Novo then book 2 nights in Ordes you could cancel the first night there (or both) to stay in Bruma... etc; Betanzos has one hotel on Booking and another on Venere as well as the albergue. You would have time in Santiago as well depending on how many days you actually take for the Inglés.
IMO it would be good to check out the Gronze site for accomodation links and download Johnnie Walker's Inglés guide for directions and more help, and the guide might help with your visa application too.
Buen Camino

... oh, and im from South Africa, the visa requirements include accommodation per night and i dont know how to arrange that. Perhaps just reserving hotels along the route with no cancellation fees? Or perhaps an invitation letter? ...

PM @sillydoll here on the forum for tips regarding this or ask @ivar buen Camino! SY

Thanks everyone, that;s great.
I finally booked everything (super excited). Now I just need to wait and see with this visa application!
Buen Camino!!
James

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone! I was looking at starting in Leon but dont think i want to walk that much and would rather enjoy myself! I'll look into your ideas and see!
oh, and im from South Africa, the visa requirements include accommodation per night and i dont know how to arrange that. Perhaps just reserving hotels along the route with no cancellation fees? Or perhaps an invitation letter?

Thanks hey!

James,

Contact the Confraternity of St james of South Africa: http://www.csjofsa.za.org/

If you join them, they wil provide you with a letter, to be used with your visa aplication. They also issue Pilgrim records, to collect the stamps along the way.

I walked from Leon to Santiago in 10 days, with a day or 2 in Santiago.

Buen Camino,
Johan
Worcester (South Africa)

Sorry James it took me 13 days, I am not a fast walker.

Hi James,

Another saffa here.

I walked the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct/Nov last year. If I had 10 days to do a part of it again I would do the first bit in a heartbeat. Starting St Jean PdP. So so beautiful.

It was a last minute decision for me so with no training I went super slow in the beginning. Stopped to smell all the roses and loved it. I was in Torres del Rio in 10 days. If you make good time you could get to Belorado.

Whatever you choose to do, you'll love it. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Buen Camino!
Kerry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.