• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my first camino from Porto on mid-October

Akemi

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 Oct. Portugues for the first camino
Hello, I'm new to this (any kind) forum and not familiar with posting manners (Sorry if I did something wrong).

I'm a Japanese middle-aged woman who have decided walking solo on the Central Route in this mid-Otober (before the winter is comming).

This pilgrimage is planned rather hastily and I have to say, I should have found this helpful site a lot sooner, because information about Camino Portguese in Japanese is quite few.

On plannning, naturally I intedded to start from the Cathedral, but now I understand that I should avoid the heavy traffic around the big city Porto. So instead I plan to start walking from the Metro station 'Forum Maia' after the small research here.

Here is the problem: I have no sense of direction. Really awful one. Everywhere I go for the first time, I always get lost easily and end up sweating and cursing to myself. I also have lower-back pain problem and wondering about the direction in a totally unknown town with my backpack is the last thing I wanna do.

In short, is starting from the 'Forum Maia' right choice for me? I mean, no possibility of getting lost for the first day? Or is there any better way for this rather hopeless woman who limits each day walking to less than 15 km yet to complete in 16 days?

I'm departing from Tokyo tomorrow morning so that I might not be able to reply to your responses timely (if any), but I'm always grateful for your comments.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, I'm new to this (any kind) forum and not familiar with posting manners (Sorry if I did something wrong).

I'm a Japanese middle-aged woman who have decided walking solo on the Central Route in this mid-Otober (before the winter is comming).

This pilgrimage is planned rather hastily and I have to say, I should have found this helpful site a lot sooner, because information about Camino Portguese in Japanese is quite few.

On plannning, naturally I intedded to start from the Cathedral, but now I understand that I should avoid the heavy traffic around the big city Porto. So instead I plan to start walking from the Metro station 'Forum Maia' after the small research here.

Here is the problem: I have no sense of direction. Really awful one. Everywhere I go for the first time, I always get lost easily and end up sweating and cursing to myself. I also have lower-back pain problem and wondering about the direction in a totally unknown town with my backpack is the last thing I wanna do.

In short, is starting from the 'Forum Maia' right choice for me? I mean, no possibility of getting lost for the first day? Or is there any better way for this rather hopeless woman who limits each day walking to less than 15 km yet to complete in 16 days?

I'm departing from Tokyo tomorrow morning so that I might not be able to reply to your responses timely (if any), but I'm always grateful for your comments.
Olá Akemi. Welcome on the forum.
You do well posting !

Here is a link of a pdf file about the Porto metro
http://www.metrodoporto.pt/uploads/document/file/40/Mapa_de_Rede_ColorAdd.pdf
You find the metro station Fórum Maia on the line to Ismai
Once out of the metro in Fórum Maia it is a short walk westwards to the waymarked caminho

Just asked people around (younger people use to speak english more then elderly people) for the caminho Português - por favor diga-me onde estão as setas para o caminho de Santiago de Compostela direção Mosteiro de Vairão e Vilarinho ? Please tell me where are the waymarkers to the caminho de Santiago de Compostela direction Monastery in Vairão and Vilarinho ?

Mosteiro de Vairão is the first albergue you will encounter and two kms further in Vilarinho is casa da Lara.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
A good alternative and maybe better I remind now being there once by car is taking the metro direction Vila do Conde/Póvoa da Varzím and go out at the station Vilar do Pinheiro.
A short walk eastwards to Mosteiró brings you to the waymarkers more northwards than Fórum Maia and moreless directly into the green rural zone north of Porto.
From there is a short 5 kms walk to Vairão for the first day to warm up.
Look on google maps at home to orientate .
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
About your 15 kms a day it is fairly easy except for some stages

From Vilar do Pinheiro to Vairão is about 5 kms
Vairão to São Pedro de Rates about 14 kms
From Rates to Barcelos 18 kms
Barcelos to Casa Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães 18 kms
Casa da Fernanda is the best place to stay.. give Fernanda our regards
From Fernanda to Ponte de Lima 14 kms
Ponte de Lima to Rubiães 18 kms. Tip here. Forward your backpack by Tuitrans. It is a hard day, climbing a mountain. The hospitaleiro in Ponte de Lima can arrange Tuitrans for you. Costs about 6 € only take some food and water with you.
From Rubiães to Valença do Minho 18 kms.
Valença to O Porriño 18 kms
O Porriño to Redondela 15 kms
Redondela to Pontevedra 18 kms
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis 23 km but in between is an albergue nearby San Amaro after about 10 kms
From Caldas de Reis to Padrôn is 18 kms
From Padrón to Santiago is25 kms but you could walk to Teo a Casalonga 10 kms where is an albergue and walk the 14 kms easily next day to Santiago

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hello Akemi and welcome.

Let me propose something else if you are planing to walk the central route, the one detailed above by Albertinho and that can have you walk from tne cathedral.

You can walk from the cathedral, cross the metal bridge where the tram runs, walk past the port wine cellars along the river coast, cross it later with a small shuttle boat and then keep followong the river to Matoshinos, a borrough of Porto. From there (metro Mercado) you cross another metal bridge over a canal and you will start seeing arrows about 100 meters past the bridge, when you get to a street intersection and turn left. This will take you to the beach. Once you get to the beach to keep it to your left and walk onwards. You are on route! Just ask people to point you to the beach (praia).

You can also opt not to cross the metal bridge to the porto cellars and simply walk along the river shadowing the old touristy tram that goes from Porto to Matoshinos but you will miss the beautiful view of Porto from the cellar side of the river.

This is a long walk in 1 day so you can split it in 2, A) by walking with your backpack to Matoshinos and spending the night there after having walked some 10km or B) walking without pack to Matoshinos on day 1, taking the bus or metro back to your albergue/pension/hotel in Porto, spending the night there, and talking bus or metro back to Matoshinos in the morning and start day 2 from there, giving you about 20km of beach walking to Vila do Conde where you can spend the night at albergue Santa Clara. Your next day to Rates would be a short one, some 12 km.

Yes, there are 2 Mercado stations, you want the one on the Senora de la hora line that ends in Mastoshinos.

This is a beautiful quiet way to start your Camino. Along the beach you are walking on a boardwalk, so it is easy on the feet. There are restaurants every 5 km or so, so you get a chance to visit the little girls' room and eat along the way. You will pass a lovely fishing village where you actually walk 1 block from the beach to get back to the beach.

Ok, there is another option, also along the beach... Walk from Porto via Matoshinos, walk on the board walk to Labruge, which is about 11 km from Matoshinos and stay at the Santiago albergue (you will see the signs). It's a new albergue and people have written here that it was a good olace to stay. This means a 20km day or so from Porto, and the next day another 20km or so to Rates. The albergue has 8 beds, is a donativo and is located in the old school.

A word to the wise, if you have the Brierley guide, DO NOT follow the aquaduct route from Vila do Conde to Rates that goes through Pavoa de Barzim, take the route that starts just when you cross the bridge in Vila do Conde, at the entrance of town by the Santa Clara Monastery. If you want to see the aquaduct by all means go in further into town by the Santa Clara albergue and the church behind it, but come back to take the route along the river/canal by the convent. It's the route towards Arcos.

Hoping I have not confused you further.

Bom Caminho!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! I'm greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, Albertinho! You sound like a Camino dictionary to me.
Not only you have kindly replied to my question to the point with detailed explanation, but also provided me with how to ask directions in Portugese. Furthermore, you have created itinerary for me as well!

You really saved my day.
I'm starting my very first camino on the 18th from Porto after a bit of sightseeing in Lisbon and Porto. Till then I think about your suggested charming alternative plan. And yes, using Tuitrans before going up the mountain sounds like a must to me.

Now that my concern has been cleared away, I'm looking forward to meeting fellow caminos on the route.

Oh, one more thing.
Meliza, thank you for saying 'like' to my posting. It took me a lot of nerve to post for the first time especially in my second language so that your 'like' was really encouraging.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello and thank you, Anemone del Camino!
While I was writing a reply to Albertinho by using an English dictionary, you kindly proposed me another route! Your plan looks charming as well since it sounds like more authentic, like starting from the Cathedral.
I'll think about your suggested route on the flight and during the sightseeing.
Now I'm SO HAPPY with receiving more than two kind replies in such a short time.

I'm off to bed now...It's past midnight in Tokyo and tommorow is a big day for me.

See you !

Hi @Akemi , here's wishing you a safe journey from Tokyo, and Bom Caminho!!

I will be walking in mid November too, probably taking a combi of the Coastal and Central routes!

Hi @Akemi. I walked the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon to Santiago in April-May this year with my 25 year old daughter and loved it. We took the coastal route from Porto via Caminha and Vigo to Redondela and found it very scenic. I can recommend the walk out of Porto from the Cathedral via the river to Matasinhos. it would be a very gentle, pleasant first day for your walk. Because you always have the water on your left-hand side it is very easy to find your way. You could then link back to the central route via Vila do Conde and Rates if you wished to walk mainly in the centre. We also found the Brierley guide book very helpful, despite its occasional limitations. I hope you have a wonderful camino! David.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with everybody choosing the coastal alternative rather than the traditional way to Vilarinho but due to the chance of bad weather along the coast , the traditional route is more preferable in autumn and wintertime.
I walked both stages and as the advice is to take the metro to Fórum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro, I enjoyed both.

I agree with everybody choosing the coastal alternative rather than the traditional way to Vilarinho but due to the chance of bad weather along the coast , the traditional route is more preferable in autumn and wintertime.
I walked both stages and as the advice is to take the metro to Fórum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro, I enjoyed both.

Olá Albertinho I agree with you taking the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro. I did it twice. Once I took the metro to Santa Clara and went 100m back to the big roundabout. Then I turned left into Av. Bernardino Machado. There the way is marked. Orientation was a big warehouse in the distance. It´s the way via Touguinho > Arcos > Rates. From Santa Clara to Rates it´s roundabout 13 kms. That was the way I prefered once.

Last edited:
Olá Albertinho I agree with you taking the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro. I did it twice. Once I took the metro to Santa Clara and went 100m back to the big roundabout. Then I turned left into Av. Bernardino Machado. There the way is marked. Orientation was a big warehouse in the distance. It´s the way via Tuoguinho > Arcos > Rates. From Santa Clara to Rates it´s roundabout 13 kms. That was the way I prefered once.
That is a different variation to get in Rates, published in the 2015 and 2016 th issue of John Brierley from nearby Vila do Conde.
The waymarked path from Vairão and Vilarinho comes together with the one from Vila do Conde just before Arcos .

It is good to mention all variations to the forum readers so they will know that there are many roads which lead to Santiago. Expertise is an important thing for them who are preparing their caminho and find all answers here on the forum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Akemi and welcome.

Let me propose something else if you are planing to walk the central route, the one detailed above by Albertinho and that can have you walk from tne cathedral.

You can walk from the cathedral, cross the metal bridge where the tram runs, walk past the port wine cellars along the river coast, cross it later with a small shuttle boat and then keep followong the river to Matoshinos, a borrough of Porto. From there (metro Mercado) you cross another metal bridge over a canal and you will start seeing arrows about 100 meters past the bridge, when you get to a street intersection and turn left. This will take you to the beach. Once you get to the beach to keep it to your left and walk onwards. You are on route! Just ask people to point you to the beach (praia).

You can also opt not to cross the metal bridge to the porto cellars and simply walk along the river shadowing the old touristy tram that goes from Porto to Matoshinos but you will miss the beautiful view of Porto from the cellar side of the river.

This is a long walk in 1 day so you can split it in 2, A) by walking with your backpack to Matoshinos and spending the night there after having walked some 10km or B) walking without pack to Matoshinos on day 1, taking the bus or metro back to your albergue/pension/hotel in Porto, spending the night there, and talking bus or metro back to Matoshinos in the morning and start day 2 from there, giving you about 20km of beach walking to Vila do Conde where you can spend the night at albergue Santa Clara. Your next day to Rates would be a short one, some 12 km.

Yes, there are 2 Mercado stations, you want the one on the Senora de la hora line that ends in Mastoshinos.

This is a beautiful quiet way to start your Camino. Along the beach you are walking on a boardwalk, so it is easy on the feet. There are restaurants every 5 km or so, so you get a chance to visit the little girls' room and eat along the way. You will pass a lovely fishing village where you actually walk 1 block from the beach to get back to the beach.

Ok, there is another option, also along the beach... Walk from Porto via Matoshinos, walk on the board walk to Labruge, which is about 11 km from Matoshinos and stay at the Santiago albergue (you will see the signs). It's a new albergue and people have written here that it was a good olace to stay. This means a 20km day or so from Porto, and the next day another 20km or so to Rates. The albergue has 8 beds, is a donativo and is located in the old school.

A word to the wise, if you have the Brierley guide, DO NOT follow the aquaduct route from Vila do Conde to Rates that goes through Pavoa de Barzim, take the route that starts just when you cross the bridge in Vila do Conde, at the entrance of town by the Santa Clara Monastery. If you want to see the aquaduct by all means go in further into town by the Santa Clara albergue and the church behind it, but come back to take the route along the river/canal by the convent. It's the route towards Arcos.

Hoping I have not confused you further.

Bom Caminho!

Olá Anemone, there is something in your post I didn´t understand. You wrote: "Yes, there are 2 Mercado stations, you want the one on the Senora de la hora line that ends in Mastoshinos."

Living in Angeiras I use the blue line very often. The final stop is Senhor de Matosinhos and the stop at Ponte Móvel is Matosinhos Mercado. Senhora da Hora is only a junction, long before Matosinhos. Yes , there is a line called Senhora da Hora, but there it is its final stop. You can take that line, but then you have to change there to the Senhor de Matosinhos line.

Ola! This posting might be irrevelant to the current topic (I'm afraid to say, I'm not following the thread) , but I just wanted to say thanks a lot to you all by reporting my current situation.

On the first day (18th) , I took the Metro ftom Porto to the station, 'Vilar do Pinheiro' and l was SO HAPPY to be able to find the first waymaker easily!!ヽ(*´∀`)ノ Yes, I did study Google map beforehand. Thanks again for your kind advice, @Albertinho, m(__)m.

Since then, the yellow arrows are abundant. I think the guys who have painted the waymakers are quite thoughtful: the signs appear exactly when needed.

I'm now at albergue 'Amigos da Montanha' in Baecelos enjoying its Wifi service after 2 days' loss of connection. This public albergue is amazing, with its cool designer style, a gym, and a climing wall. Though I wish there were a washer and a dryer instead. Handwashed thick socks never can be dried up under this rainy weather.

So far I've learned two things: it rains a lot (ノ゚ο゚)ノ(´;ㅿ;`) and this route is quite desserted ( ´•ω•` ) probably because it's now mid-october ? I do feel lonely on the route and sometimes scared especially when I walk in a dark narrow path surrounded by thick trees, with an abandoned (empty) car parked ahead (*º ロ º *)!!

Well, overall, people are nice, pilgrim menu costs only 5 euros and delicious, there are enough cafes on the way, which make walk ing easy and comfortable. l'm happy here on the Camino Santiago. See ya!

Don't forget to stay at Casa Fernanda your next stop .18 kms from Barcelos.
It's on the caminhopath at the left side .
Give mama Fernanda, husband Jacinto and daughter Mariana our regards please

Bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back