• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my first Camino from SJPdP on 6 April

mikebond

Time of past OR future Camino
French Camino (April-May 2017)
Hello, my name is Michele (= Mike) and I'm Italian, now living in Brittany (NW France).
After quite a bit of thinking, reading (and worrying), I booked a night car to Bayonne on 4 April, and a bed at a private albergue in SJPdP for the following night (5-6 April).
I see that the Route Napoléon may be closed and may be snowy anyway, which would make the Valcarlos variant an almost compulsory choice for me. I do like walking but have never done any long-distance hiking. I am not very fit but think/hope I can do the whole Camino at my pace.
I have read many threads on this forum, but I thought I'd start a new one to gather any useful insight or suggestions you would like to share with me.
Since I am going to walk the Camino with a religious purpose, alongside with a personal one, I wonder how/when I will be able to attend Holy Week and Easter services (considering that pilgrims usually leave early in the morning).
Any practical advice or experience will be very welcome.
Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Michele, how fortunate to be in Brittany - my favorite vacation was a long wander through it. You will build strength along the way. If the Napoleon Route is open, you could, if you wanted, make use of Caroline's Bourricot Express out of SJPP (her office is next to the pilgrims office on Rue de la Citadelle and she leaves from the main tourism office on the main road for cars through town). If you ride with her service up to Ourisson, you would cut out the initial very difficult/steepest climb and not miss any of the breathtaking beauty of the Pyrenees. If not, you could just go as far as Valcarlos on the lower route that first day. Just a thought in case you'd like to start out less strenuously. The pilgrim mass at Roncevaux/Roncesvalles is very moving. I hope you have a wonderful Camino!

@HighlandsHiker thank you for being the first to reply to my first thread! I love Brittany and plan on visiting it more by bike when I am back from the Camino.
I had read about the Bourricot Express and have just had a look at their website. I fear it may be a bit expensive for my budget, and anyway I have read the Valcarlos route is also beautiful (I'm more into towns and villages than mountains...)
Thanks for recommending the pilgrim mass at Roncesvalles. I'll add it to my to-do list.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, my name is Michele (= Mike) and I'm Italian, now living in Brittany (NW France).
After quite a bit of thinking, reading (and worrying), I booked a night car to Bayonne on 4 April, and a bed at a private albergue in SJPdP for the following night (5-6 April).
I see that the Route Napoléon may be closed and may be snowy anyway, which would make the Valcarlos variant an almost compulsory choice for me. I do like walking but have never done any long-distance hiking. I am not very fit but think/hope I can do the whole Camino at my pace.
I have read many threads on this forum, but I thought I'd start a new one to gather any useful insight or suggestions you would like to share with me.
Since I am going to walk the Camino with a religious purpose, alongside with a personal one, I wonder how/when I will be able to attend Holy Week and Easter services (considering that pilgrims usually leave early in the morning).
Any practical advice or experience will be very welcome.
Thank you!
Take your time, it's not a race

@HighlandsHiker thank you for being the first to reply to my first thread! I love Brittany and plan on visiting it more by bike when I am back from the Camino.
I had read about the Bourricot Express and have just had a look at their website. I fear it may be a bit expensive for my budget, and anyway I have read the Valcarlos route is also beautiful (I'm more into towns and villages than mountains...)
Thanks for recommending the pilgrim mass at Roncesvalles. I'll add it to my to-do list.
You are most welcome. I live in the mountains, and found the Pyrenees to be stunningly beautiful, but you'd really have to like the mountains. The first time, I hiked over during Hurricane Henri on Sept 16, 2015 (I am quite insane, evidently:0)). The second time it sleeted (if that is a word) and hailed. You won't lack for lovely towns and villages! Pamplona is a wonderful town. Burgos Cathedral is light and spectacular, and the monastery off of the riverwalk called the Cartuja de Miraflores and the Abbey of Las Huelgas in Burgos are definitely worth a look. The monastery at Canas (turnoff at Azofra) was a good side trip also. You'll catch plenty of good masses along the way!

I am walking with a Spanish-American priest. Every night he finds the mass at church, and attends/participates. You can be as religious as you want. His heaviest piece of equipment is his Bible. He is 72 years old, on sabbatical, and making his first pilgrimage.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We have started a "conversation" on this forum that now has about twenty folks who will begin in SJPdP the first week of April. The assumption is that a few of us will perhaps see some familiar faces as we pass along the camino. I will send you a separate message to "join" that conversation.

We have started a "conversation" on this forum that now has about twenty folks who will begin in SJPdP the first week of April. The assumption is that a few of us will perhaps see some familiar faces as we pass along the camino. I will send you a separate message to "join" that conversation.
Please add me to your group - I start on April 8th from SJDP and I am travelling solo so would be very interested in meeting fellow friends

Please add me to the group. I will begin from SJ on April3rd. Looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Michele, how fortunate to be in Brittany - my favorite vacation was a long wander through it. You will build strength along the way. If the Napoleon Route is open, you could, if you wanted, make use of Caroline's Bourricot Express out of SJPP (her office is next to the pilgrims office on Rue de la Citadelle and she leaves from the main tourism office on the main road for cars through town). If you ride with her service up to Ourisson, you would cut out the initial very difficult/steepest climb and not miss any of the breathtaking beauty of the Pyrenees. If not, you could just go as far as Valcarlos on the lower route that first day. Just a thought in case you'd like to start out less strenuously. The pilgrim mass at Roncevaux/Roncesvalles is very moving. I hope you have a wonderful Camino!
Thank you ! I am not the OP, but am very wooried about getting shin splints on the mountain. I will definitely do this!

Add me too, please! Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back