• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my first Camino

Noey

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2015 began on the Camino Frances and then moved to Via de la Plata and ended in Santiago. Hope to walk more of the Camino Frances someday
hi folks I will be starting my first Camino tomorrow morning (oct 17th). Currently in Pamplona and will take the bus to SJPdP. Are there any other pilgrims beginning tomorrow? Any tips from past pilgrims on where to stay for the night? Lastly, any tips for maintaining through the first days uphill climb and downhill descend? I met a pilgrim last night who had a hard time walking after the first day. I already have a bad knee on one leg and a pulled something on the other. Plan on pushing through, but any tips are welcome. Gracias!
Noey

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
hi folks I will be starting my first Camino tomorrow morning (oct 17th). Currently in Pamplona and will take the bus to SJPdP. Are there any other pilgrims beginning tomorrow? Any tips from past pilgrims on where to stay for the night? Lastly, any tips for maintaining through the first days uphill climb and downhill descend? I met a pilgrim last night who had a hard time walking after the first day. I already have a bad knee on one leg and a pulled something on the other. Plan on pushing through, but any tips are welcome. Gracias!
Noey
Hi Noey, I would say walk kalm the first day's and keep listening to your body.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Noey, heed the advice of Peter.
Enjoy each step! Wish you a Buen Camino!

Buen camino! Know when to quit! It is easy to overdo it the first days; you have a lot of enthusiasm and adrenaline that may mask the need to stop. What you do in these days sets up your entire camino as with the pilgrim you met. Have fun! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, will do.
And bring some food and snacks from St Jean for the walk from Orisson because there is nowhere to stop or eat on the way to Roncesvalles! Also if you get a bed at Orisson, take it. Buen camino!

If you already have a bad knee I would STRONGLY suggest you take stage 1 in two days.

Stop at Orisson and either walk or taxi back down to SJPP. Sleep there a second night. Next morning, taxi up to Orisson and continue.

There is no need to hurt yourself the first day and risk your entire Camino.

On my first Camino I had reservations for Orisson. The hospitalero at SJPP insisted I should go all the way to Roncesvalles so I cancelled that reservation.

It was horrible for me and resulted in feet so painful I cried each step plus shin splints a day or two later.

Don't risk it. Spend the cash for a taxi. Carolyn takes pilgrims up to Orisson every morning. Your hospitalero can call and make the arrangement or you can. She speaks great English. Express Bouricot (sp?) is the company.

The downhill into Roncesvalles is harder to me than the uphill.

Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen camino! Know when to quit! It is easy to overdo it the first days; you have a lot of enthusiasm and adrenaline that may mask the need to stop. What you do in these days sets up your entire camino as with the pilgrim you met. Have fun! :)
I'm not in the greatest shape and I've spoken to a few pilgrims who are beginning in Roncesvalles, because it is so difficult from SJPDP. I'm starting to feel unsure since I will be solo. The pilgrim I met at the albergue said he was alone most of the way to Pamplona. Does anyone have insight to risks being alone with the iffy weather and the descend?

Noey
Your FIRST Camino? How I envy you. I remember being full of questions and not satisfied with the speed at which answers came. Which is the first lesson I learned on the Camino. The time on The Way is the best. Reaching Santiago is great but the time on The Way..... there's nothing like it. Have water with you at all times, and some nibbles: dark chocolate works wonderfully well for me. Just enjoy yourself. You're ON THE CAMINO. Buen Camino, Sister

Hi Noey,
I'm also going Camino 2016 and I have this plan:
- From SJPP to Honto is 309 m elevation and from Honto to Orisson another 308 m. In total 617m elevation.

- From SJPP to Arneguy is 59 m elevation and from Arneguy to Valcarlos another 116 m. In total 175m elevation.

My choice is Valcarlos, not Orisson.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I crossed from SJPDP in April in 2 stages,1st Night at Orrison and on next day.If you want to enjoy the experience stop at Orrison and continue next day.You will also enjoy the company of others doing the same.So much easier than pushing to the limit.I expected that my lack of fitness and my age(68) would make the crossing difficult and even with the break ,it was.
Buen Camino

Depending on your personal level of fitness and preparation, the upper route can either be a walk in the park or exhausting. Apart from that, you have to take notice of weather warnings in St Jean. We went over in September on a clear day and the only inconvenience was a strong wind. What it's like now, I've no idea but take advice accordingly. We happily went the high route but would have gone the other way if advised to.

If you're worried about fitness, take the advice of other posters and either arrange a stop at Honto or Orrison. From what you say, you are already carrying injuries so caution might be advised. The descent to Roncevalles can be done in a couple of ways, as I remember and the Pilgrim Office used to advise taking the road route. We ended up doing a bit of both. A bit of care was needed but that's all.

Again, I've not been on the Camino this late but I would have thought you could judge numbers likely to be walking from how many rucksack carriers are about in St Jean and in the place you're staying. Ask around to see if there are people setting off when you are with whom you might like to walk.

Buen Camino! I did that first stage three weeks ago! I did it in a single pass but have walked with, passed, and been passed by folks who did it in two, everyone is on her own schedule here. When you begin the descent, you may notice that the official path cuts straight down, while a wider road seems to meander. Taxi drivers who were delivering people to this point directed me to the road which had a much gentler slope. I'm glad for this advice as it was not treacherous or slippery with loose footing at all, even if it added a km or two extra.

One thing I wish I did sooner was get a massage on my calves. The ascent turned my calves rock hard with lactic acid, which sure enough, contributed to some pain one week in. I finally succumbed in Santo Domingo.

Best wishes to you--

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you already have a bad knee I would STRONGLY suggest you take stage 1 in two days.

Stop at Orisson and either walk or taxi back down to SJPP. Sleep there a second night. Next morning, taxi up to Orisson and continue.

There is no need to hurt yourself the first day and risk your entire Camino.

On my first Camino I had reservations for Orisson. The hospitalero at SJPP insisted I should go all the way to Roncesvalles so I cancelled that reservation.

It was horrible for me and resulted in feet so painful I cried each step plus shin splints a day or two later.

Don't risk it. Spend the cash for a taxi. Carolyn takes pilgrims up to Orisson every morning. Your hospitalero can call and make the arrangement or you can. She speaks great English. Express Bouricot (sp?) is the company.

The downhill into Roncesvalles is harder to me than the uphill.

Buen Camino.
Agree about the downhill more difficult. Buen camino

Hi Noey, I would say walk kalm the first day's and keep listening to your body.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hola Noey, as what Peter said, walk/hike slow watch your step...one day you walk the planned distance, another day listen to your body.. walk your own pace you are comfortable doing, you will get to your destination in one piece. Take care of your bad knee, you can buy a knee brace next town. Downhill more difficult, use your poles and go down slowly! Drink lot's of water to avoid dehydration

Buen Camino,

Noey

Well, I was waiting for the bus in Roncesvalles. to take me from Roncesvalles to St Jean Pied de Port. The bus arrived I said a very quick goodbye to the new friend I made, turned around to grab my pack and the bus was gone. It never even opened its door. I was in shock. I realized I needed to take a cab now. no other pilgrims were going there at that time. It's a Saturday and the transportation is limited. The tourist office was closed and I didn't know where to go. I ran into another pilgrim I had met earlier and he began to help me figure out a taxi. I then run into the other pilgrim I made friends with and she says, what are you still doing here? I tell her the bus left me. She said Noey it's a sign. The Camino has many signs and this is one of them. You are meant to stay here and begin with us. I hesitated for a minute. I came all the way here to begin at what folks say is the hardest part and now I'm not going to do that. Then I let go and said okay, maybe this is the way it is meant to be. I will begin from Roncesvalles tomorrow with you two. They walked me to the monastery so I could get a bed and I will bring my journey with them in a few hours. I appreciate the feedback on SJPDP from you folks. Maybe someday I will come back and begin my journey in SJPDP, but this journey is beginning in Roncesvalles. :)

Update. I did the leg from Roncesvalles to Zubiri and it was so wonderful until the last 1-2 miles where it became very steep and so slippery from the rain. I fell a few times no major injuries.

Thanks all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I then run into the other pilgrim I made friends with and she says, what are you still doing here? I tell her the bus left me. She said Noey it's a sign. The Camino has many signs and this is one of them. You are meant to stay here and begin with us.

Thanks all.
Hi Noey,
it is one of the true, my friend pilgrim told me.
Do not be afraid, let these signs show you the way. :)

Buen Camino

Hi Noey,
it is one of the true, my friend pilgrim told me.
Do not be afraid, let these signs show you the way. :)

Buen Camino

Thank you for your note Botaivica.

So happy for you to have arrived safely in Zubiri.
Yes, perhaps taking the path from Saint Jean is for another time. There is no shame in beginning from Roncesvalles, do not feel bad.
Buen Camino, Noey, enjoy the rest and do post when you can to let us know how you are getting on.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Noey,

May you have the best of all journeys.

Always carry extra chocolate and wine to share. :)

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Last edited:
Good to hear. You're on your way and you've some company as well. Job done, apart from a month's walking. Good luck, Noey.

Have a wonderful journey Noey. My advice is to make sure you have a walking stick or poles, mind that knee and make sure you tend to any blisters you may have. Buen Camino!!
PS: Keep walking, keep going and when you reach the middle keep your eyes out for the albergue in San Bol!! This is a true desert oasis and somewhat of a hidden gem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So happy for you to have arrived safely in Zubiri.
Yes, perhaps taking the path from Saint Jean is for another time. There is no shame in beginning from Roncesvalles, do not feel bad.
Buen Camino, Noey, enjoy the rest and do post when you can to let us know how you are getting on.
Thank you. I arrived in Pamplona. Walked alone a lot but really enjoyed it. Some of the descends are tough. I'm moving on to Ourense tomorrow and the day after beginning the VDLP for the last 100k.

Have a wonderful journey Noey. My advice is to make sure you have a walking stick or poles, mind that knee and make sure you tend to any blisters you may have. Buen Camino!!
PS: Keep walking, keep going and when you reach the middle keep your eyes out for the albergue in San Bol!! This is a true desert oasis and somewhat of a hidden gem.
Thanks! Great advice. I will miss the albergue in San Bol. I'm taking a train to Ourense to do the last 100k.

Good to hear. You're on your way and you've some company as well. Job done, apart from a month's walking. Good luck, Noey.
Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Noey,

May you have the best of all journeys.

Always carry extra chocolate and wine to share. :)

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon
Mmmm chocolate and wine. Thanks!

Thank you. I arrived in Pamplona. Walked alone a lot but really enjoyed it. Some of the descends are tough. I'm moving on to Ourense tomorrow and the day after beginning the VDLP for the last 100k.
beautiful entry to Santiago from Ourense . Enjoy.
Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.