• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my first Camino

Tony Bobcat

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Hello everyone thanks for being so helpful throughout the last 12 months, I am starting my first Camino on 13 of May.
I have booked accommodation only up to Orbison, do you think I need to book in advance or just walk till I get tired.
I have allowed 34 days to get from SJPDP to Santiago and can any one tell me how the weather looks. Thanks once again looking forward for all your respond. Cheers Tony

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone thanks for being so helpful throughout the last 12 months, I am starting my first Camino on 13 of May.
I have booked accommodation only up to Orbison, do you think I need to book in advance or just walk till I get tired.
I have allowed 34 days to get from SJPDP to Santiago and can any one tell me how the weather looks. Thanks once again looking forward for all your respond. Cheers Tony
Sorry for the miss spelling accommodation booked up to Orrison

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You might want to book the next night at Roncesvalles or beyond, as the albergue in Roncesvalles is limiting the number of beds it can offer, as discussed in this thread. You can make reservations there, or down the road in Burguete or Espinal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You might want to book the next night at Roncesvalles or beyond, as the albergue in Roncesvalles is limiting the number of beds it can offer, as discussed in this thread. You can make reservations there, or down the road in Burguete or Espinal.
Hi Trecille the accommodation at Orrison has already been booked for the 16 of May as I fly out of Australia on the 13, I don't actually start the Camino till the 15. Thanks for your advise Cheers Tony

I have walked the CF both ways - without any bookings, and then with a mix of bookings and just walking. My view is that if you don't want to book, just make sure you have a strategy in mind for dealing with a place that is full. It might be as simple as walking on to the next town, or if you are done in at the end of the day, taking a taxi and returning the next day to where you left the Camino. If you have access to the internet, using a service like booking.com or gronze.com to search for nearby accommodation is another approach. Don't feel compelled to book, but equally don't be surprised if you find places are full if you plan to arrive later in the day.

On the weather - my crystal ball is a bit hazy. There are a number of good weather sites you can use that will give you good forecasts closer to your departure and along the way, but it is probably too soon for these to be of much value. Just remember to pack for the climate, then you can dress for the weather.

random side note: starting my Camino on May 15, so we might bump into each other ;)
Shall you see a big red back pack with a "Fritzi" label on it - that's me :)

And PS: I've booked Roncesvalles in advance, just be be on the safe side for the first day. You might want to do this as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
random side note: starting my Camino on May 15, so we might bump into each other ;)
Shall you see a big red back pack with a "Fritzi" label on it - that's me :)

And PS: I've booked Roncesvalles in advance, just be be on the safe side for the first day. You might want to do this as well.
We will be starting in August, you now have me considering booking in advance ! Buen Camino !!!

It's almost time Tony!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.