• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my journey in early March 2015

Snowball

Time of past OR future Camino
"Starting in March 2015"
I'm planning to start my journey from sjpp early march 2015, an was wondering if the albergues are open also will there be other people on the trail?
I was also thinking of camping a couple of nights, are you allowed to camp wild in spain and has anyone done it along the trail? if so any ideas on where would be good? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards
Snows

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are many smartphone apps like Camino Pilgrim that have a listing of all albergues and the months they are open; if I recall correctly http://santiago.forwalk.org also has the same information but it appears to be down right now. I'm departing Leon on March 5 and I know that there are some albergues open either year round or starting in march - I've planned my stops accordingly.

Early March is a good time to be on the Camino, you will experience the unfolding Spanish spring and all its glory of wildflowers, sprouting vineyards, wheat growing higher by the day, public gardens and a gradual warming of the temperature plus as an additional joy, you will celebrate Easter on the Camino. You might camp out but do realize that night temperatures may drop to Zero C requiring a heavier sleeping bag and there is a rain factor. Some villages provide a Camino-side rest area usually a cleared grassy area often with a picnic table and sometimes running water and it is possible to sleep there-however during busy periods on the Camino there may be a lot of trash more or less collected there and no toilet facilities beyond a well used nearby tree.. Most other places would require asking permission from the land owner, Spanish farmers do get up early so don't try and get around that one, how is your Spanish? As to albergues, March/April is my favorite time there and I never experienced any problems finding a place to lay my head.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are many smartphone apps like Camino Pilgrim that have a listing of all albergues and the months they are open; if I recall correctly http://santiago.forwalk.org also has the same information but it appears to be down right now. I'm departing Leon on March 5 and I know that there are some albergues open either year round or starting in march - I've planned my stops accordingly.

Thanks for Replying so soon code_monkey_001, The info is much appreciated I'll download the app and check it out. Enjoy your walk

Snow...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015!

You have indicated a SJPDP start; what is your timetable? How long will you be on Camino?
What does your pack weigh? A tent and ground cloth/mat and 0 degree C sleeping bag can add quite a bit of weight.
Temps can fluctuate quite a bit between SJPDP and Roncesvalles due to the extreme change in altitude 165m to 1430m.
Here is a good site that shows key info, such as: recommended stages/distance per stage, elevation changes, albergues (open/closed), etc. If opened in Google...it can be translated from Spanish to English.
All that said, once you purchase your ticket...the Camino takes over;)
Keep asking questions and you will be well prepared.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Early March is a good time to be on the Camino, you will experience the unfolding Spanish spring and all its glory of wildflowers, sprouting vineyards, wheat growing higher by the day, public gardens and a gradual warming of the temperature plus as an additional joy, you will celebrate Easter on the Camino. You might camp out but do realize that night temperatures may drop to Zero C requiring a heavier sleeping bag and there is a rain factor. Some villages provide a Camino-side rest area usually a cleared grassy area often with a picnic table and sometimes running water and it is possible to sleep there-however during busy periods on the Camino there may be a lot of trash more or less collected there and no toilet facilities beyond a well used nearby tree.. Most other places would require asking permission from the land owner, Spanish farmers do get up early so don't try and get around that one, how is your Spanish? As to albergues, March/April is my favorite time there and I never experienced any problems finding a place to lay my head.

Thanks scruffy1 for the advice, my Spanish is pretty bad and I'm learning simple words and phrases at the moment that hopefully will come in handy along the way. As for camping its more for spending the night in the open and roughing it, I'm pretty experienced when it comes to hiking and camping, haven't done a walk of this distance but done a couple of hundred K ones in all weather conditions sometimes four seasons in a day type of thing. I'll Always ask before camping on obvious privately owned land. By the sounds of things you have done the camino a couple of times are you doing it this year? I can't wait to get going its going to be a brilliant experience! once again thanks for the advice

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Snow...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2015!

You have indicated a SJPDP start; what is your timetable? How long will you be on Camino?
What does your pack weigh? A tent and ground cloth/mat and 0 degree C sleeping bag can add quite a bit of weight.
Temps can fluctuate quite a bit between SJPDP and Roncesvalles due to the extreme change in altitude 165m to 1430m.
Here is a good site that shows key info, such as: recommended stages/distance per stage, elevation changes, albergues (open/closed), etc. If opened in Google...it can be translated from Spanish to English.
All that said, once you purchase your ticket...the Camino takes over;)
Keep asking questions and you will be well prepared.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Hey Arn

Thanks for welcoming me, I'll be starting from SJPDP beginning march don't have an exact date because I'm planning on being in France for a week or so before making my way to SJPDP, I'll be on the Camino as long as it takes to walk it from start to finish I haven't set a timeline but from what i hear it normally take about a month or so.

Thanks for the information regarding the temp fluctuations etc, my pack is gonna weigh about 12 to 15 kgs haven't weighed it yet but on my other hikes that is the average weight I carry, thats including tent, roll mat, sleeping bag, stove, food, clothes, water etc.

what is the website you were talking about with all the information, you forgot to include it in your post.

Once again thanks for welcoming me and I can't wait to get going!!!

Kind regards
Snows

Snows...the Camino isn't your normal hike. I walked the Appalachian Trail in 96'. 2,164 miles end to end. There were few facilities and you had to carry about 2.5 lbs of food per day and be prepared to cook and carry things you "might" need.
I walked my first CF in 2008 from SJPDP with the same attitude about my ability and pack weight. By day 5 after pressing on when only slightly hurt...I fell and became very hurt.
You can replenish any thing you think you might need in the towns you will pass thru.
If your pack weighs more than you have indicated (12-15) excluding water...try to make the 12 kg mark.
Buen Camino,

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Snows...the Camino isn't your normal hike. I walked the Appalachian Trail in 96'. 2,164 miles end to end. There were few facilities and you had to carry about 2.5 lbs of food per day and be prepared to cook and carry things you "might" need.
I walked my first CF in 2008 from SJPDP with the same attitude about my ability and pack weight. By day 5 after pressing on when only slightly hurt...I fell and became very hurt.
You can replenish any thing you think you might need in the towns you will pass thru.
If your pack weighs more than you have indicated (12-15) excluding water...try to make the 12 kg mark.
Buen Camino,

Arn

Arn Thanks for the quick reply, I'll def take what you said on board and I'll keep my pack as light as possible, I have read that there are loads of places to buy supplies along the route and that was my intention, I'll get packing in the next couple of days and let you know what my pack comes to. I'm basing my pack weight on passed experience, not having anywhere to replenish for a couple of days... so I'm sure it will be lighter than 15kgs. I'll be spending most nights in an albergue and camping a few night along the route just because I love camping. Are you walking the camino again this year?

Ps. How was the Appalachian trail? must have been out of this world!

Snow,

The AT is, for me, a one time event; unlike the Camino(s).
On the AT it's miles and miles of miles. Yes, you meet some interesting folks, yes, you have time by yourself and, yes, there comes a time when one more "scenic overlook" is just that...one more.

On the Camino, it's different each time: which Camino: Frances, Portuguese, Ingles and those less traveled. All have one thing in common...the Camino is right there with you...making adjustments to your plan...or completely throwing a spanner in the works.
The people you meet, the places you stay and the time of year...make the Camino unique.
Honestly, we Forum members can tell you all about OUR Camino(s)...but they will pale in comparison with YOUR Camino.

Buen Camino...my friend,

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi and welcome to the forum also from me, Snowball!

There is really no need to bring a tent to the Camino! Wild camping is forbidden in Spain, with a few exceptions that don't really apply to the CF. Plus you will often have difficulties to find a landowner to ask permission from. Also in March there is no need to worry about finding a bed as most albergues will be open and the 'crowds' have not yet arrived. Also the albergues are the places where you might other pilgrims, eat with them, laugh with them.

15kg, even all included, is too much, believe me. Think of the Camino as a 'from village to village' hike NOT as a wilderness hike! The longest 'without nothing' stretch is 16 km, but typically you will pass a village every 5-8km. 8kg even at that time of the year is more than plenty. If you put your packing list up here we give you feedback and tell you what you don't need on the CF.

Buen Camino! SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi and welcome to the forum also from me, Snowball!

There is really no need to bring a tent to the Camino! Wild camping is forbidden in Spain, with a few exceptions that don't really apply to the CF. Plus you will often have difficulties to find a landowner to ask permission from. Also in March there is no need to worry about finding a bed as most albergues will be open and the 'crowds' have not yet arrived. Also the albergues are the places where you might other pilgrims, eat with them, laugh with them.

15kg, even all included, is too much, believe me. Think of the Camino as a 'from village to village' hike NOT as a wilderness hike! The longest 'without nothing' stretch is 16 km, but typically you will pass a village every 5-8km. 8kg even at that time of the year is more than plenty. If you put your packing list up here we give you feedback and tell you what you don't need on the CF.

Buen Camino! SY

Thanks for the information SYates, and thanks for welcoming me.

My intention was or is to stay at albergues most of the time to enjoy the company of other pilgrims and use the tent for the odd night under the stars even if it be in the garden of a albergues or if I happen to stumble upon a camp site along the way, the only reason for this is I love camping and sleeping outside, I'm a Farm boy grew up on farms in South Africa and spent days sleeping out in the open, and this walk would be an excellent opportunity to relive the experience albeit it be for a couple of nights.

As for the pack weight I'll post a kit list on here in couple of days and i will heed any ideas fellow pilgrims have such as add ons or leave behind items.

Kind Regards
Snows

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the advice Arn

Really appreciate all the help I'm getting on here,

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back