• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my very first Camino in 2 weeks time

MrAWESOME247

I'm from the UK , i'm also a muslim but i'm not very religious but i do have alot of respect for religion .

I just booked my flight to biarritz and from there it's off to saint jean pied de port :D

for me my first Camino is more a spiritual one , i'm going in very open minded and i honestly dont except anything to come out of it but if anything does then that well make it even better.

Now seeing as i'm Muslim, i'm a bit scared and nervous about some unfriendliness that i possibly might come accross while walking the camino , has that ever happend to any other muslim man or woman in the past that have walked all the camino ?

if i were to bring my mobile phone with me would it be possible to charge it here and there at any one of the albergues ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Camino draws a very friendly crowd; you should not expect hostility, but there may be curiosity about a Muslim walking a Christian pilgrimage, so expect the question, which won't be hostile in nature, just inquisitive.

There are outlets for charging cell phones, though sometimes a lot of pilgrims want to use it at the same time. If you take a multiple outlet, you can expand the number of plugs available.

First of all, have a buen camino.

The peregrinos on the camino trail are a very friendly crowd. We don't really talk about politics on the route. We talk mostly about everything else. Each one of us walks the camino for different reasons. You have nothing to be scared about. If you are asked for the reason the why does a muslin is doing the camino, you don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable. Just mention for personal reason. We have peregrinos of different faiths and different persuasions walking the camino all the time.

By the way, the plug in spain is different from that of uk. Go to the pound shop or the 99p store to buy a european plug that can be used in spain.

Again enjoy your camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll have a great time, so don't worry! And as a Muslim you are welcome to enter churches etc just as Christians can enter mosques.

One thing to be aware of is that several centuries of Spanish history involved driving the Moors out of Spain, so often this is depicted in art and local festivals etc. Nobody will drive you out of Spain though, so enjoy yourself! Buen Camino! :D

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I honestly dont mind people asking me questions about why a muslim is doing the Camino or even any other questions , i'm just more concerned about any violence that could happen, but it's really good to know that everyone on the Camino trail is friendly :)

I know I certainly wouldn't mind if you were on the camino. I have no right to judge you, your actions, or your religion. Enjoy your camino! :)

{Candace}

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
MrAWESOME2477 said:
...i'm just more concerned about any violence that could happen...
Obviously people are people and there might be some idiots somewhere. The only places I can think of really are the major cities and towns (Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon etc). I never heard of any problems, though. In the villages you'd only ecounter an islamophobic dog or cat. Wear your scallop shell to show who you are and all should be well! Buen Camino!

p.s. I really don't want to tell you to hang around other pilgs when walking at night because that suggests you're at risk, which you most likely are not. However there is strength in numbers for all of us. :twisted:

I doubt that anyone would know you were a muslim..unless you volunteered it.
It should not be an issue unless you want it to be.

I have not had anyone ask about my religion on many caminos. It may come up if you entere into a conversation about religion...but you would probably have to enter into the conversation on purpose.

I would say that you will not have any problem.

I briefly met a Muslim lady who was walking in 2004. She had made plenty of friends and no one had been hostile to her.

The only time anyone was disrepectful towards me was because they thought I was American and that was back in 1998.

The camino is not the alcohol fuelled Ibeza.

Most of the albergues require you to be in bed and lights out at 10.00 pm 22.00, so I doubt if you would be out late at night when, lets be honest, trouble can start just because people have had too much to drink. It is worth bearing in mind that the police in Spain are a lot more no nonsense than in the UK, so they will not tolerate it when people kick off. All pilgrims know that as guests in someone else's country we have to behave responisbly.

I would be amazed and hugely disappointed if you had even a hint of trouble.

Have a wonderful Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
The only time anyone was disrepectful towards me was because they thought I was American and that was back in 1998.

What happened?

Also, as far as being a Muslim, if anything I would be very interested to learn of your background and religion. :D

{Candace}

Do not worry at all!!! I can only agree with all of my predecessors on this topic.

I can't describe myself as a (traditionally) religious person, but I remember the day when I was leaving Burgos and heading for the next shelter. And the storm was coming in fiercely. I was weeping out-loud, crying, screaming, for my personal reasons. Suddenly a buddhist monk (!!!) passed me, turned his head, smiled and went on like nothing happened (I can send you a photo).

And yes - nothing happened. Not in personal, social or political way. But at the same time everything happened. That's Camino, man :D

Buen Camino!

Choweth said:
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:

What happened?

Also, as far as being a Muslim, if anything I would be very interested to learn of your background and religion. :D

{Candace}

Well as child i was bought up to be a religious muslim like everyone else i knew and for a bit i was very much into my religion but as i grew up i just began to see alot more clearly about how religion is being disorted and is being used for all kinds of nasty things and i just didnt really want to be part of that world . I still believe in religion but i just believe in my own version of religion which is
religion= peace.

And in a way doing this Camino i'm also trying to find myself as since my gran passed away , i've been very lost.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
May all your concerns evaporate as you set foot on the pilgrimage. May you be made truly welcome by everyone you meet and may you have a truly amazing experience.

Buen Camino!

First of all, Buen Camino, and lucky you who have this amazing experience ahead of you. I can't see how you religion would make any difference, for a lot of people it is a spiritual experience rather than a catholic church thing. I didn't discuss religion that much with other pilgrims but when we did it was more of a question of understanding each other. See it as an opportunity to see how alike we all are even if the name f our God differs. Show the others how a muslim can be and have a wonderful time. My guess is that the question of what religion you belong to will not be asked so often. People tend to talk about other things. Less personal.

As many have said above, religion is not a frequent topic of conversation. Everyone is busy getting along with others and quietly seeking whatever it is they seek or hope to find them. Contentious topics of conversation are rarely entered into, and then normally in a reasonable manner (usually with fellow travellers who over time have become close friends). Even then I would expect it to be a civilised and respectful conversation as along the Camino people are almost universally respectful to others (except for flashing lights and bag rustling in the albergues :(). Relax about this, go with the flow and you will have no problems. To be honest as long as: you can remember which albergues you stopped in; what the showers/food/noise levels/temperature at night etc. were like; how far you walked; where you next intend to walk to; where you intend to finally finish; and where you had your cafe con leches you will find that your evening has been full of conversation. Bye the way, in case you don't already know - be aware that January the 6th is "3 Kings" day and that it is celebrated in Spain, so there might be some supply side problems to be careful about.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.