• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting next week

allison

:eek: We are four friends originally from Glasgow now living in spain and we are starting our Camino from St Jean next Wed. (19th August), I've been reading the forum now for months and it is extremely helpful, thanks to everyone who contributes, but I have one niggling little question, I see from various postings that the Camino is very busy in August, is there anyone who has done it at this time of year who can confirm (or otherwise!!) that we will get accomodation along the way without too much of a problem.
thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Allison,

My first camino i did from mid-august, and I never had a probelm getting a bed. However... this was in 2003 and there are more pilgrims now than back then. I would hate to be the one who promise you that there wont be any problems getting a bed/bunk...

You might find now and then that the 4 of you wont be able to sleep in the same albergue... if there are only 2 bunks left... the other 2 might have to continue... - many albergues are not allowed to let more pilgrims in than they have beds... (for security reasons)...

There will also be some pensions/hostals along the way in case albergues are completely full.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Alison,

I will be in St.jean on August 27th and there is currently no accomodation. I've been told to go to the tourist office and they should be able to direct me somewhere. The hostel I called has walk in spaces but they can only be filled the day you arrive. This is my first time and although I'm nervous I'm going to try and not think about it too much!

Good luck
Leena

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
leena_19 said:
Hi Alison,

I will be in St.jean on August 27th and there is currently no accomodation. I've been told to go to the tourist office and they should be able to direct me somewhere. The hostel I called has walk in spaces but they can only be filled the day you arrive. Leena

Leena, it is probably the Pilgrim Office you should aim for rather than the tourist office in SJPP. The Pilgrim Office is very helpful, and will help you find a place to sleep. You just have to climb the hill to get there.....
Margaret

Hi Allison!

Me and my friend will leave from Pamplona on the morning of the 21st! Maybe we will see you? We haven't really trained so we won't be going very fast!! :D

I'm thinking it's going to be very busy but I think the only thing we can do is walk and see! I suspect once you get into the swing of things you'll work out what is best to do bed-wise. Some people leave early and stop early to get somewhere to sleep, some people have a more laid back approach. Often it's good not to stop on the main end-of-stages (the pilgrim office will in St Jean will give you a profile guide with the journey set out in day stages) lots of people follow these so if you stop in little places that aren't the main destinations you may have more chance of getting a bed... Also if you have the money to upgrade to more expensive accomodation when need be you will probably be fine in most places!

Buen Camino! :D

Thanks guys, guess we'll just have to wait and see!! last packing of rucksack today and bus from Alicante tomorrow!! 1 more sleep!!

Elizi, we will all have a little bit of tartan on, so if you see us give us a shout, where are you coming from?

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just came home from my camino. And yes, it is a problem for beds. The last 200km it's just running from alberg to alberg. So, take your sleeping mat with you, so you can sleep outside (we did it sometimes - because we didn't want running every day for bed).

Two times in albergs was no beds for me, so i needed to walk 10km more (first in Vianna - fiesta, and second time Alto de Poyo - so 40km in one day - not comfortable :lol: ).

Buen Camino to you, enjoy and profit from this unbelievable experience!!!

Yes, a sleeping mat might be a good idea - in case an albergue is really full.
And beside, you probably might sleep better outside than inside with the stars over you, a cooling wind and the birds' songs waking you up...

I did the Camino in May - a very "busy" period as well-, and sometimes albergues got quickly 'full'...
Well, generally they help you to find an alternative with f.i. "taxi-service" (they come and take you and bring you back in the morning so that you can continue the camino exactely where you stoped the day before) but for 4 it might be a little more tricky...

Trust your Camino, and everything will be just fine.

PS for Ajda : "Alto do Poyo"...
Well, we stayed there and it was just really horrible. The worst place to be and to stay. Rather unfriendly owners, dirty, not very nice food (for a not very nice price) and when waking up in the morning, everything was wet!!! (so some of us had to put their clammy clothes on to start the day... Uuuurrrgh!!!
Not a loss if you didn't get a bed there!

FatmaG said:
PS for Ajda : "Alto do Poyo"...
Well, we stayed there and it was just really horrible. The worst place to be and to stay. Rather unfriendly owners, dirty, not very nice food (for a not very nice price) and when waking up in the morning, everything was wet!!! (so some of us had to put their clammy clothes on to start the day... Uuuurrrgh!!!
Not a loss if you didn't get a bed there!

You are not first who said that this place is horrible. Acctually, i had a bed in this place, but than i decided to go with my friends(met them on the way) who did'n get a bed there and give "my bed" to sam other pilgrim, who was really tired. In one hand... it was a really nonsense what i have done, but in other hand.... i had never regret this decision. Especially when I heard that it was most horrible alberg on the camino. It was my best decision on my Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walk two years ago and no problem finding a bed during September/October. However, I did start walking each day before 6 am...in the albergues some people would usually turn out the lights while we were out eating around 8:30 pm...when 5:30 am came around I was wide awake after a long 8 - 9 hours of sleep...why lay in bed when you can be out enjoying a beautiful sun rise and the pleasure of walking alone for most of the day....

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back