• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Nov. 5/6 from Coimbra -- Arriving SdC approx. Nov 22

• Thread starter Former member 91017
  • Start date
F

Former member 91017

Hello all;

I have walked the Francés twice and depart for the Portugués later this fall. I leave N. Am. on Nov 4th, land very early in Lisbon on the 5th and intend to take the train up to Coimbra that day, leaving from Coimbra on the 6th.

I could not, for many reasons, go earlier in the season, and my next opportunity for the Portugúes won't come for 2 years... so late autumn with rain it shall be.

I have it in mind to mix the coastal and the inland routes (I am from a mountainous coastal region and miss it now that I don't live there). I adore walking in the Galician mountains, so I want to head back to them. I'd be turning inland around Caminha to Valenca I think.

But.... I am really nervous about the weather *this* year. It seems like it is going to be much colder on average, and perhaps far more rainy. Even with a rain skirt, rain jacket, umbrella hat, rain gaiters, etc., I could be a very cold, wet duck.

Does it make more sense to head in from Lisbon to Salamanca and walk up to Astorga or Ourense? Leave the Portugues for another 2 years hence? Or will the VdLP be largely desolate for the start of winter?

Taking thoughts and thank you in advance to the community.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Faye. Where did you get your info about it being colder this year in Portugal? I'm curious as am considering the same time ex Porto

Hi Faye. Where did you get your info about it being colder this year in Portugal? I'm curious as am considering the same time ex Porto
Hello Pilgy -- just looking at the long-range through the Weather Network, and also a thread for a women's Camino group.
I'm pretty experienced with hiking in the cold, but only in the context of going home at the end of the day to central heat, fluffy blankets and a hot bath...
I'm committed as my tickets are already purchased... and I can't go earlier because of work and family. So November it is.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Greetings Faye. I saw a posting this morning perhaps on the CP pilgrim site, but definitely not on Camigas, suggesting slightly warmer temperatures through Oct and Nov...Will try to locate. Weathernetwork proved rather wrong for me last year on the CP. mid to late October I had steaming hot weather while they had forecast lots of rain. Jude

Greetings Faye. I saw a posting this morning perhaps on the CP pilgrim site, but definitely not on Camigas, suggesting slightly warmer temperatures through Oct and Nov...Will try to locate. Weathernetwork proved rather wrong for me last year on the CP. mid to late October I had steaming hot weather while they had forecast lots of rain. Jude

You are making me very happy with this news!

While I walked Coimbra to Porto in spring, I walked the rest to SdC in January. The only night I didn't have anyone else was staying in albergue in Marinhas on coastal route. But it was 1, 2 , 3 or 4 pilgrims the rest of the time. I got perfect settled weather but it was cold, though most albergues were warm (only one do i remember with water being less than warm for a shower) . But the issue is if a storm front comes in you may need to be flexible and not have too tight a time frame. But I think walking in November is very doable but as the weather is influenced by Atlantic, rain is possible. It just means having wet weather gear. But note I am from Ireland and am used to hiking in the rain

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will be walking the CF starting October 29th. I am prepared for the weather but who knows. I see you have walked the CF before, don't know when but you know the weather in the fall in Galicia can be rainy, snowy and cold. Probably just as cold and unpredictable as Portugal. Remember if you choose the route from the VDLP the elevations will be much higher than anywhere on the CP. Most of the CP never gets above about 300 meters and that is only for a short time and if you walk the coastal route well it is the coast so you may trade more wind and maybe more rain for lower elevation.You have time to buy a light warm jacket, some layering and being prepared to walk. I would also buy a sleeping bag as you never know which albergues wil have blankets. I say go for it. You never know which route will be the easiest to walk. One final note I would download the Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim apps as well as look at Gronze.com on Google Chrome. It is winter and you never will know what albergues are open. No book or app is complete. The more you have in the winter the easier it is to get a bed. I doubt you would need to worry about crowds but I would always call ahead, especially if where you will stop has only one albergue to confirm it is open.

Thank-you It56NY. I landed in SdC in the 2nd week of October on my first go, start of the 2nd week of September on the second go. The first one was definitely a walk across seasons. I had gloves by León for the mornings. Wore my fleece often enough. This trip... I am vacillating between my Wool/down/silk blend Icebreaker jacket and my down/nylon jacket. I will take fleece lined running tights, water resistant hiking trousers.... rain jacket, umbrella-hat that straps to my head (ridiculous but effective), rain gaiters, mid-season boots for warmth as I always run cold anyway... Running gloves. Quilted hiking skirt instead of shorts -- can wear over top of the fleece tights if I need one more layer but not "too much more". Merino base layers/socks/ etc. I figured on sleeping in base layers in my silk liner rather than taking a sleeping bag... I will watch the weather forecast as the departure gets closer.
I do have the Wise Pilgrim and am planning based on "open all year" spots.
What I am wonder is whether November is considered winter or fall.... Here it is late fall, definitely not winter. We have average temperatures where I live of about 8-10C and loads of rain. But I don't generally try to go 30+km in a day here. 10-12... *maybe* 15...

Early November would typically be more fall-like than winter-like. We have often, in central Portugal, been outside in shirtsleeves in November. North of Viana do Castelo and Galicia will be cooler and rainy, I suspect. Here's the Portuguese weather link for Coimbra to show you what it's like right now:

and here's the "normal" for Coimbra:

The light blue, green and orange lines are the ones that are most useful--average low, average mean, and average high.

You can easily look up other places along the way from this.

Bom caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back