• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting on the 1st April 2018.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting April 1st midday if Napoleon Route and Orisson is open. If not, will start April 2nd over Valcarlos
Orisson just emailed and said they will be open on the 1st, so looks like the Napoleon route will open! They said to ring them the day before to book! So happy! Staying overnight the 31st in Bayonne and take the first train in the morning to SJPdP. So plan is to visit the pilgrim Office, have a look around the village, then walk the 8 km uphill to Orisson!

That’s g
Orisson just emailed and said they will be open on the 1st, so looks like the Napoleon route will open! They said to ring them the day before to book! So happy! Staying overnight the 31st in Bayonne and take the first train in the morning to SJPdP. So plan is to visit the pilgrim Office, have a look around the village, then walk the 8 km uphill to Orisson!
Thats great news. I was hoping that the Napoleon route was going to be open. I will be in SJPDP on the first. Not sure if we’ll be leaving there on the 1st though. Maybe the 2nd.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am already here . Lots of rain today ..saw many pilgrims going up the hill to from valcarlos and roncesvalles in snow and rain ..as you know Orisson is open. But Napoleon is not. They will bus people over to valcarlos if you decide to stay in Orisson

That’s g

Thats great news. I was hoping that the Napoleon route was going to be open. I will be in SJPDP on the first. Not sure if we’ll be leaving there on the 1st though. Maybe the 2nd.
If you are leaving from SJPDP on 1 April Orisson is open but Napoleon is still closed see my post above this one

Enjoy your Camino. Just be aware they become addictive.

Don't be disappointed if the Napoleon route is closed, it was for us on our start on April 8th, 2016. It is just one day out of many interesting days you will have on your walk. We enjoyed the Valcarlos route and had to deal with enough snow in the later stages of even that route.
If we start again from St. Jean, we will pick the fall so not as likely to have it closed as we would like to experience this route at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am already here . Lots of rain today ..saw many pilgrims going up the hill to from valcarlos and roncesvalles in snow and rain ..as you know Orisson is open. But Napoleon is not. They will bus people over to valcarlos if you decide to stay in Orisson
Where can we meet up? Pilgrim office? Breakfast isn’t served until 08:00 here so I’ll be along after that. If that’s too late let me know.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back