• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting on the Meseta on Saturday. I'm a bit nervous.

cilento

This is my 3rd Camino, but it's my first time alone. I'm starting on the Meseta on Saturday (7/20); leaving tomorrow night. I'm all packed and prepped to go, but now the nerves have set in. I could use some encouragement on 2 topics;

1) I have a major fear of dogs. When I was traveling with a friend, it didn't really bother me, but now it's becoming an obsession. I'm worried that I'll spend half my time being frightened of what lies around the next corner.

2) I haven't heard of too many people who have started on the Meseta, and I'm wondering why not. It seems like a good plan; relatively flat for the first few days. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have a great time!

Starting on the Meseta sounds like a great idea, and I can't think of any downsides. I'm sure many people doing the Camino in stages start one of them in Burgos or nearby. It's quite warm in Europe at the moment, so be mindful of those stretches with little shade/water!

Hopefully most of the dogs will be asleep under trees etc. Remember that the Camino will be busy so if the worst comes to the worst just pause and let other pilgrims catch up so you can pass any unfriendly looking dogs as part of a 'group'.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked part of the Meseta alone a few weeks ago and found no problems with dogs, in fact I can't remember seeing any at all and certainly none to worry about.

There is a hill after Castrojeriz, but not too steep and you are rewarded with probably the best view from the top. It should be a great way to build up your stamina.

I can thoroughly recommend staying at San Bol or San Nicolas de Puente Itero for genuine camino spirit.

Have a good one

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Most of it is too remote and many of the villages on the meseta seemed abandoned by man and dog.

Dogs weren't an issue till Galacia.

Hi, cilento, I'll bet you're counting the minutes now.

I don't know where on the meseta you're starting, but I don't think you'll be alone even if you want to be! I have never had a problem on the Camino Frances with dogs, and a bite in my childhood that required surgery to repair has left me with a bit of dog anxiety, so I would remember an incident.

I've been told by many Europeans that the EU has imposed pretty stringent penalties on dog owners whose dogs bite (if anyone bothers to report it, that is), so I think that the huge numbers of people on the Frances has prompted owners to make sure their dogs are confined.

And I agree with others that starting on the meseta is a fine idea. I personally love those wide open spaces with big skies and no obstruction in any direction, but others find it boring. Too much sun might be the biggest drawback, but hat, sunscreen, and lots of water will fix that.

Buen camino to you, hope it's a great one. Laurie

Where does the Meseta begin and end?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
cilento,

Glad to learn that you will be walking on the wonderful meseta; now it should be blazing hot but when I walked in late autumn and winter it was always FREEZING with a wicked wind from the west. It is always a pleasure to walk the Camino spine through Castrojeriz and stay at the municipal albergue de San Esteban on the plaza mayor. Nearby at 43 Real de Oriente is a nice cafe, La Taberna, with a Brazilian connection. A big photo of the author Paulo Coelo standing with the owner is next to the door. I have often eaten here over the years since their pilgrim dinner is varied, excellent and cheap. The owner-barman, a true diplomat, always remembers me. You might enjoy it also either for a cool drink or a meal.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi

I have just finishen the meseta ( or almost in Leon now ). I did not experince and problems related to wild dogs further i have not heard of other persons who have had problems this year.

There is plenty of people on the road so u will not be alone. The reason that many people decide to skip this part could be the heat - just bring plenty of wather and walk in the morning and you will be fine

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm in Burgos now and getting ready to start in a couple of hours. Your posts have been really helpful. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.