• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting out May 5 from Lisbon

mike105

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2016
Via Francigena 2018
Madrid 2019
San Salvador 2019
Primitivo 2019
I plan on walking from Lisbon to Porto starting may 5th. I've already walked from Porto to Santiago and this Camino fits my time availability. I hope to see others along the route!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I plan on walking from Lisbon to Porto starting may 5th. I've already walked from Porto to Santiago and this Camino fits my time availability. I hope to see others along the route!!!
I'll be two days behind you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I really don't have any idea, other than not nearly as busy as north it Porto.
Thanks. I kinda like going into it not knowing. Makes it more of an adventure...lol

I know you’ve seen this, @mike105, but for others starting out from Lisbon — the Alpriate albergue has announced its re-opening on March 15! Great news after a long covid closure.

I would also say for those who are concerned about not having the latest up to date info — Mario at Santarem Hostel is a great forum friend (and a great guitar player, I’ve been told). There are several options in Santarem, but Mario has been there since the 2000s and is in good contact with owners up and down the route before Porto. So I will put in a plug for his place.

I know you’ve seen this, @mike105, but for others starting out from Lisbon — the Alpriate albergue has announced its re-opening on March 15! Great news after a long covid closure.

I would also say for those who are concerned about not having the latest up to date info — Mario at Santarem Hostel is a great forum friend (and a great guitar player, I’ve been told). There are several options in Santarem, but Mario has been there since the 2000s and is in good contact with owners up and down the route before Porto. So I will put in a plug for his place.
I'll stay there for sure. I value loyalty! Thanks again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know you’ve seen this, @mike105, but for others starting out from Lisbon — the Alpriate albergue has announced its re-opening on March 15!
I wrote to them a while back to find out when they were opening, and they asked that I reserve 10-15 days ahead.
Here's the email address albergue.alpriate@vialusitana.org

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I really don't have any idea, other than not nearly as busy as north it Porto.
When I walked from Lisbon in 2017 it was like night and day. I think the most crowded up to Porto was the first night in Alpriate. It was the only place to sleep and most of the people who arrived after that little albergue filled up almost immediately. This was because it was the 100th anniversary of the Miracle in Fatima and way more people were walking there. By way more it wasn't alot compared to North of Porto or the Camino Frances. Most nights there were just a handful of pilgrims in any albergue I slept in. Different of course from Porto.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2017 it was like night and day. I think the most crowded up to Porto was the first night in Alpriate. It was the only place to sleep and most of the people who arrived after that little albergue filled up almost immediately. This was because it was the 100th anniversary of the Miracle in Fatima and way more people were walking there. By way more it wasn't alot compared to North of Porto or the Camino Frances. Most nights there were just a handful of pilgrims in any albergue I slept in. Different of course from Porto.
Thanks. Good info...

Starting Lisboa to SdeC 24/25 April 2022
Anyone hitting the camino then ?!
Every Best Wish

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not busy to Porto. after Porto it will be busier depending you walk the central route or the coastal
Thanks. I'm excited to see off the beat and track parts of Portugal. I really enjoyed the camino from Porto the last time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
25th is a holiday in Portugal, just FYI.
Thanks for pointing that out. I would think that the May holiday for Fátima will also be of concern, since so many of the albergues south of Porto could possibly be filled with pilgrims going to Fatima. I have never been clear on what days are particularly special, except that google tells me that the apparition itself happened on the 13th of May, 1917. Others have commented over the years that the entire month of May is high pilgrimage time.

So… long way of asking, what impact do you think Fátima feast days have on the Caminho and its accommodations?

I will be starting from Lisbon to SdeC on/around 24th/25th April 2022.. anyone hitching up to start then ?

Starting Lisboa to SdeC 24/25 April 2022
Anyone hitting the camino then ?!
Every Best Wish
I was going to point @CaptainBonnie to the calendar, which I always found to be a useful way of answering such questions. I cannot find the link in the menu bar any longer. Have I just lost it, or has it been lost?

There is this thread which I don't find as useful as a resource, but might help him find the information he is seeking.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was going to point @CaptainBonnie to the calendar, which I always found to be a useful way of answering such questions. I cannot find the link in the menu bar any longer. Have I just lost it, or has it been lost?

There is this thread which I don't find as useful as a resource, but might help him find the information he is seeking.
That's because the Calendar is being eliminated in favor of the monthly start threads.

So… long way of asking, what impact do you think Fátima feast days have on the Caminho and its accommodations?
I can’t answer that myself, having not walked this route at that time. What I can say is that based on speaking to quite a few people on the Nascente last year, the Fátima pilgrimage is like the medieval pilgrimage to Santiago in one sense, which is that people who live in central Portugal walk from their own house even if that doesn’t take them on a recognised route. So people will descend on Fátima from all directions, not just on the caminho.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back