• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting part way along the camino

Sal Morgan

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2015 (Ponferrada to SdC)
Hi all,
I'll be starting my first camino from Ponferrada in April. I'm getting the train from Madrid in the morning and arriving at around 3-4pm in the afternoon with a view to start walking the next day. I'm just wanting some advice around etiquette/practices for starting part way along the camino route (apologies if similar exists elsewhere, I've done a fair trawl through the forum this evening and only found answers to some of my questions).
On arrival in Ponferrada I should look to get my credential stamped as this will be my starting point, is that right? And with that, will I be okay to stay my first night in an albergue in Ponferrada? I'm just not 100% about the etiquette around whether you can stay in an albergue on your first night given that I will not have walked to Ponferrada (I hope that makes sense!). Any perhaps I'm worrying too much about it, from what I have read it is the credential itself that allows pilgrims accommodation in albergues (or similar).

Hopefully someone can put me right to ease my mind! : )

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all, I'll be starting my first camino from Ponferrada in April. I'm getting the train from Madrid in the morning and arriving at around 3-4pm in the afternoon with a view to start walking the next day. I'm just wanting some advice around etiquette/practices for starting part way along the camino route

Hello Sarah, and welcome! First things first, there is no such thing as a "starting point" for the Camino. Ideally it's when you step out of your front door, and some are still able to do it, but for those of us across the pond, not so easy ;0) I have a local "Friends" assocation and it gives out credenciales and stamps them for us - so it's like starting from home. Perhaps you can look for something similar in your area.

I know that the Ponferrada bus station has arrows in its parking lot showing the way to the albergue, perhaps the bus station also does. If it does, follow the arrows and have your credencial stamped once you get there - they may even have them on site for sale. You will be tired, but do take some time to at least take a look at the Templar Castle, it will make you feel as if you are a kid again, or a caracter in a Disney princess movie.

As for other "etiquette" issues: just be mindful of people napping when you arrive, try not to barge in despite of all the weight you'll be carrying on your back. Showers should be short and sweet, and backpacks, bags and stuff not impeeding circulation. Plastic grocery stores are not your friend, because they are loud and will wake others up. Snoring is allowed ;0)

Hello Sarah, and welcome! First things first, there is no such thing as a "starting point" for the Camino. Ideally it's when you step out of your front door, and some are still able to do it, but for those of us across the pond, not so easy ;0) I have a local "Friends" assocation and it gives out credenciales and stamps them for us - so it's like starting from home. Perhaps you can look for something similar in your area.

I know that the Ponferrada bus station has arrows in its parking lot showing the way to the albergue, perhaps the bus station also does. If it does, follow the arrows and have your credencial stamped once you get there - they may even have them on site for sale. You will be tired, but do take some time to at least take a look at the Templar Castle, it will make you feel as if you are a kid again, or a caracter in a Disney princess movie.

As for other "etiquette" issues: just be mindful of people napping when you arrive, try not to barge in despite of all the weight you'll be carrying on your back. Showers should be short and sweet, and backpacks, bags and stuff not impeeding circulation. Plastic grocery stores are not your friend, because they are loud and will wake others up. Snoring is allowed ;0)

Thank you for such a detailed response to my questions above, you have all more than settled my mind and calmed the pre-camino jitters. Perhaps I can take you all with me?! Much appreciated though. I love the way people go to the extremes to pay it forward on this forum, such a good resource.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The parochial albergue in Ponferrada is large, very rules oriented, and can be crowded. I would suggest the new one, which take reservations:

http://www.gronze.com/guia-del-camino-frances/albergues/albergue-alea

Buen camino!
That is a very nice albergue. Stayed there this past June when I did the Camino. Very gracious lady that runs the albergue and I had a delicious homemade paella dinner there that night.
paella.jpg
There is a tourist office in Ponferrada. You may be able to pick up a credential there if you don't already have one. It's not that far from the albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
. Perhaps I can take you all with me?!
Come on out for a slow walk on the Primitivo and we can walk together ;0)

And BTW, did not mean to deprive you of Camino jitters: no matter how many times I head out, I always get them, and have learned to love them ;0) Why is it that I always imaging the Everest and the desert when it comes to infrastructure when I think of the Camino, even if I know it is far from both. And how many times do I have to rethink what goes in my bag? Just part of the process. You will have a wonderful time, just take it a step at a time, and carpe diem.

That is a very nice albergue. Stayed there this past June when I did the Camino. Very gracious lady that runs the albergue and I had a delicious homemade paella dinner there that night.
View attachment 15670
There is a tourist office in Ponferrada. You may be able to pick up a credential there if you don't already have one. It's not that far from the albergue.

Thanks Mark, I did some research on the albergue and it does look great. I'm happy to hear a good recommendation from someone who has stayed there and that paella looked great! Big fan of the paella - guess I'm going to the right place!

Come on out for a slow walk on the Primitivo and we can walk together ;0)

And BTW, did not mean to deprive you of Camino jitters: no matter how many times I head out, I always get them, and have learned to love them ;0) Why is it that I always imaging the Everest and the desert when it comes to infrastructure when I think of the Camino, even if I know it is far from both. And how many times do I have to rethink what goes in my bag? Just part of the process. You will have a wonderful time, just take it a step at a time, and carpe diem.

I think that is super advice and exactly the right attitude to approach my journey with! I suppose nerves are natural when heading into the unknown, no matter how many wonderful photos and maps you look at! But I won't be letting that put me off! : )

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back