• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting place?

Alison Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014
Hi,

So I was planning on walking the camino Frances from sjpdp toward the end of September, but I'm worried that I'm not fit enough. I have been training and managed a 28km walk today but my feet are feeling very sorry for themselves. In addition to that, all my training has been in fenland, so very flat, and I am very worried about the ascent.

Another factor for my doubt is that the money I was hoping to have for the camino has been halved, so I will prob only have €20 a day, which I really don't want to do.

So my question is, if I were to walk the camino from either Logrono or Burgos, (probably Burgos) would my pilgrimage mean less than if I were to start from over the border? Also, what are other people budgeting?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The "meaning" of your Camino is entirely up to you! Everyone has different starting points and different ways of walking, it does not lessen your experience in any way. There are so many silly discussions about what it means to be a "real pilgrim", but I say as long as you are walking on that trail and enjoying what the Camino has to offer, than you are a pilgrim and it is a meaningful experience.

It's great that you are training- and managing a 28 km walk right now means, in my opinion, that you can definitely make it up and over the Pyrenees on day one! Yes, it's tough, but if you start early and just take your time you should be fine. I remember being so nervous for that day and it was nowhere nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

As for budget....that's all a personal thing. I do budget 20euros a day and that works just fine for me- but I don't really partake in pilgrim menus (I am a vegetarian so not many worked for me and also it was usually too much food for me so wasn't really worth it) and I will always try to find the cheapest bed. I think an average of 20a day is fine, and somedays you will spend less and then be able to splurge on other days.

Last edited:
Ultimately the only person who cares at all about how much your pilgrimage means is you. So its up to you to determine where you will start and finish.

I was spending 25 - 35 euro per day. I ate menu peregrino daily and stayed at albergues. So I would suggest that unless you want to eat cheese sandwiches 3 x daily ... 20 Euro is pretty tight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alison-- please let me just say first that a pilgrimage is a completely personal journey that does not have to mean anything to anybody, but yourself. If you truly worry about what others think of your pilgrimage, then you REALLY need to go on the Camino......

You mentioned finances, fitness level, and time, all three quite important factors going into the Camino. I would guesstimate 25-30 Euros a day for a comfortable Camino. There are incidentals like meds, ocassional ticket so go in a museum, etc..., the glass of wine, so budgeting a little extra would not hurt. If your heart is set in doing the Camino Frances and in going now, start at Burgos, not a bad idea. The Camino isn't going anywhere and the more reason to plan a return. Another option is to do do a shorter camino; Portugues, Sanabres, Primitivo, or Ingles. BTW, 28 Kms is above average for long distance walking (25 kms) and you do get stronger as you go.

Have fun planning! Buen camino!

Remember that it is not mandatory to finish in Compostela. You can do a section (for instance, ten days from SJPP to Santo Domingo de la Calzada), and come back another year. There are many persons that do that, for time or budget constraints.
Buen camino!

There are no rules. Many of us come to realize that this isn't a once in a life time experience and look forward to returning. I flew to Madrid took a 2-1/2 hour bus ride from the airport to Burgos and started there. I learned a lot about the Camino this year and plan to remember those lessons when I walk it again next year. Next year will be a longer walk. Making it on 20 euros a day is possible. Just don't plan on eating out every night. Get your food at the markets when you can. Take good care of your feet and bring some extra plastic bags for toilet tissue in case you need to step off the trail for a nature call. Just follow your heart and you won't get lost. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You've got some good advice. Personally I'd say a week-long Camino in which you can free up your mind will be more meaningful than a month-long Camino with constant money worries. It is possible to eat cheaply by cooking for yourself (and others for a contribution) in albergues. Pilgrim menus in bars etc. are good value largely because they include wine, rather than for the quality or quantity of food. I'd still suggest having some kind of contingency if you're aiming for 20 euros a day, though.

You've got some good advice. Personally I'd say a week-long Camino in which you can free up your mind will be more meaningful than a month-long Camino with constant money worries. It is possible to eat cheaply by cooking for yourself (and others for a contribution) in albergues. Pilgrim menus in bars etc. are good value largely because they include wine, rather than for the quality or quantity of food. I'd still suggest having some kind of contingency if you're aiming for 20 euros a day, though.
Tyrrek...you mean the Pilgrim menu comes with Food too!
I thought the 1st, 2nd and 3rd courses were vino:D
Saludos,
Arn

Hi Alison,
I just finish my Camino a month ago, It took me 35 days from SJPP to Santiago, I understand yours worries about the fitness and the money, and I can assure you that you can do it. I´m not very fit myself, it took 2 days past Los Pirineos, but I did it, and it was great, the views are amazing. I walk around 20K a day and a little more in the meseta. And remember as the days come pass you get stronger and it gets easier to walk and maybe even do longer walks.
About the budget, if you cook and hand wash 20€ a day its more than enough.
It can be done, however if you still want to start from Logroño or Burgos, that doesn´t mean your pilgrimage mean less at all, there are no rules for doing the Camino, it does not lessen your experience in any way. I personally love Burgos. Like the others said you can manage your time and money, and even your Camino how you prefer it. It´s all part of the experience.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for all your advice, some really really good advice, thank you so much.

I think I'm going to start at SJPP, and fitness wise, see how it goes. Luckily the money problem is not going to be as bad as I thought, but if it does become an issue, I will be happy to get as far as I can, and then return at a later date.

I'm so excited for this!

Hurrah for you Alison, that the cash flow situation is looking up! Thats one less thing to distract you as you walk. Though it doesn't matter where you start, I think starting in SJPD is (in our heads) like making a New Years resolution. You could make a resolution any time of the year, but it seems to carry more weight if it's done at New Years. The same with starting in SJPD. It just feels more "right". At least that was my feeling. And besides, once you see the views on the road to Roncesvalles, you'll be glad you went that way.

20 euros is definitely doable. Really, the Camino is cheap. Walking is free.
An albergue will run 5-10 Euros. Food--you can eat a bocadillo sandwich in a bar for 2.50-4 euros. You can stop at shops and groceries. Baguettes are 80 centimos to 1.10. you can get canned fish (or octopus in Galicia!) for a euro. things that are easy to carry and will last you a couple days. If you stay in an albergue with a kitchen, you can cook pasta. I would personally choose more time on the Camino living more simply than spending less time there and eating at restaurants or staying in nice hotels.

Also, if you're up for it, you can sleep outside,
or in donativo albergues
David makes a good point about SJPP.

Happy planning!
Ultreya-

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Alison, don't worry about your fitness. If you can walk 28 km (with your pack) now you'll be fine. You just sort of 'walk into' the Camino. Start slowly and don't over do it too soon. Let's face it, it's not really possible to train for an 800 km walk, you just do it!

Good advice on this thread Alison - I find that nearly ALL pre-pilgrims have doubts, anxieties .. it is that chattering mind that is terrified of uncertainty and wants to get all the possible futures sorted ... but the Camino isn't like that - it is a leap off the cliff ... but millions have done it before you. Once you have been out there for a day or two you will relax and all will be well.

Walking to Roncesvalles? Don't get drunk the night before! Hydrate the night before. Carry food and water. Start really really early, take your time, have breaks, enjoy the views .. don't keep measuring how far you have to go; if you keep walking you will get there. It isn't frightening, it isn't a mountain ascent - no Sherpas needed - it will be fine!

Where you start? It is your Camino! Though I would say don't let fear cheat you out of the experience. You want to start at St Jean? Start at St Jean.

Money? Sure, 20€ is a tight budget but is fine ... just forget the cafe society .. coffees and cakes, cokes, evening meals (which are usually dull and fairly horrid unless you strike lucky!) cafe stops just leak the money away and there is absolutely no need for any of it. You won't suffer any form of malnutrition eating simply and providing for yourself and there is a wonderful feeling of independence doing just that.

You can carry bread, sausage, cheese, fruit - just check where the shops are downstream so you don't run out. If you also carry some pasta you can make a fab cheap meal at a refugio - and in some there will be a group meal, with wine, being offered if you throw in 5€.

About that budget - you have enough time to go through your house and sort all those things you never use to sell on Ebay .. why not? - take lots of good photos, write honest descriptions, and end the auctions mid evening on a Wednesday, approx between 9.20 and 10pm. (Wednesday evening people are at home, at that time they are relaxed and most likely will have had a drink!).

Buen Camino!!!!!!

Another option is to start from SJPP, walk for a while and see how you do, and adjust the overall schedule based on time and budget by taking the bus for one or more portions as necessary. Just be sure you do the last 100 km if you want to get the Compostela.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Alison - excellent advice as usual from the Forum members.

A couple of months back I had a couple of weeks volunteering at a refugio and as a keen cook myself I was so impressed with some of the meals that pilgrims made - pasta dishes, rice and lentil dishes, both with tons of vegetables and perhaps some jamon or chorizo, baked potatoes with toppings, Spanish omelettes - all fantastic - all ingredients readily available and not expensive. There was a lot of sharing of meals and the kitchen was busy every afternoon and evening.

One idea that I was particularly impressed with was several of the pilgrims prepared hard-boiled eggs and put them in the fridge overnight, so they had a nutritious, protein-filled snack for the next day. The small shops in the village would happily sell one or two eggs - not necessary to buy a carton. (BTW - remember the salt and pepper for the eggs, and also to mark your name on the plastic bag containing anything you buy and put in the fridge to avoid mix-ups).

Have a happy and healthy Camino - Take joy in every step -

Cheers, Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back