• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting point (for Credencial)?

Jo Rutter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (2015)
Hi - my sister and I are about to meet with our parish priest who is going to give us a blessing in our church before we travel to Spain (by air). I would like to fill in my home, or the church, as my 'starting point' on the credencial, and have the priest sign in the first block, as we have no sellos here in England. Will the office in Santiago accept this as a starting point, even though we have to then travel to Ferrol by air/bus, or must I put Ferrol as the start, as that is where we will be starting to walk and collect sellos?

Thanks -

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jo,
I honestly think that you will need to put Ferrol as starting place for Camino as you begin to walk from there, mainly for statistical reaso s for pilgrims office! You can still get your parish priest to signature the first sello box i imagine.
Buen Camino to you both
Aidan

Jo, you can ask for your home church as your start point, we have done so in the past. Our church has no sello so the parish priest signed the credencial as did our 2 church wardens, all in the first space. We have also given our cathedral as start point with their sello in first space.
The difference it will make will be where you are recorded as starting for the paper work (Inglaterra or Ferrol). To cover this you could put your home church and Ferrol in the start place then give Ferrol as the start of your walking. We did something like that this year because of walking round the coast from Ribadeo, then picking up the Inglés in Ferrol. We gave Ferrol as our start in the office because that seemed easiest.

If you opt to start in the UK you might just be able to have some other sellos if you are walking:- local post office, library, the airport as you leave etc. We have sellos from the ferry port and the ferry as a record of our journey. The Pilgrims' Office is quite used to this.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, Tia Valeria and AML. We had a lovely blessing service this morning and our priest has signed in the first box. We will put Ferrol as our official start place, though, as it seems that will be better understood. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Great Jo, best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how the Ingles goes, i intend to walk this way late September.
Buen Camino
Aidan

I always put Ferrol as my starting point but my first stamp is always my local church in the UK and a signature and date which I try to get the day before I leave.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is exactly what we've done! We leave tomorrow - thanks for the confirmation.

Hi - my sister and I are about to meet with our parish priest who is going to give us a blessing in our church before we travel to Spain (by air). I would like to fill in my home, or the church, as my 'starting point' on the credencial, and have the priest sign in the first block, as we have no sellos here in England. Will the office in Santiago accept this as a starting point, even though we have to then travel to Ferrol by air/bus, or must I put Ferrol as the start, as that is where we will be starting to walk and collect sellos?

Thanks -
No problem. Walked 3 times. One time from Lisbon, one time from Ferrol and one time from Porto .
Got my 3 credentials from a friend from Lisbon, stamped with first block in the Lisbon Cathedral. No bother at the pilgrims office in Santiago.Even the date does not matter
There are people who walk a part of the camino, go home and next time they come back and continue and obtain a Compostela certificate.

Buen camino. Enjoy. The Inglès is a great walk

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No problem. Walked 3 times. One time from Lisbon, one time from Ferrol and one time from Porto .
Got my 3 credentials from a friend from Lisbon, stamped with first block in the Lisbon Cathedral. No bother at the pilgrims office in Santiago.Even the date does not matter
There are people who walk a part of the camino, go home and next time they come back and continue and obtain a Compostela certificate.

Buen camino. Enjoy. The Inglès is a great walk
We got our first sello for our first camino ( Santiago - Finisterre / Muxia ) from our local parish priest at Mass on the Sunday 2 days before we departed for Santiago . It was very appropriate as our local church is actually dedicated to St. James ! The parish stamp has "Sancti Jacobi" in the centre .

Most read last week in this forum

On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back