Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Point

moefees

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues (2013)
What city/town is a good starting point if I've got 10 days for the Primitvo and want to end in Santiago without destroying my feet?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

Very difficult to find a spot. It would be somewhere between Oviedo and Lugo...
Best suggestion would be to extend your walk to 14 days and start in Oviedo, in my opinion.
Or walk from Lugo to Santiago and on to Muxia/Finisterra. That could make your walk easy and still spend 10 days walking.

About Norte in 10 days it is also difficult.
Gijon would be a good starting point, but it would take more than 10 days. More like 12-14, but there will be long days.

Remember that you will be starting 'cold', with the first week being hard, as getting your body to adjust to the physical demands.
The demands will be heavier on Primitivo than Norte, as it is through mountains, whereas Norte is more along paved automobile road, which can be hard on your feets.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Thank you so much for your helpful information.
It is very appreciated!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How far do you hope to walk in a day? Without that information it is not really possible to answer. We have 3 possible starting places in mind. Two can be accessed from the Oviedo end and one from the Santiago/Lugo end.

Trying to keep at a maximum 30kms. per day, less is better. I know that will cut into the distance that we can make in 10 days.

Our suggestion would be to take the ALSA bus towards Grandas de Salime from Oviedo to Tineo - there might be only 1 bus per day. More buses go to Salas, but that is an extra day's walking. If Tineo is too many days then going to Pola de Allande, Berducedo or Grandas itself is an option. Starting in Pola de Allande gives you the walk over the beautiful mountain pass at Puerto de Palo. There is no public transport beteween Grandas and Fonsagrada, but you can shorten the long day after Fonsagrada by taking the little bus to Cádabo from there or from Paradavella (Lugo bus - 3 a day?). If short of time I would choose to start in Tineo or Pola and then shorten a day, or miss a stage, elsewhere because the Camino between there and Fonsagrada is what makes the Primitivo so special. If you have the CSJ guide to the Primitivo (Caminos del Norte; F) then you can work out the distances and it will help choose your starting point. Distances are also on our Primitivo blog, see link below my post, we walked short days so took 'double time'.
Note: You reach Grandas by bus from the Oviedo side only and Fonsagrada by bus from the Santiago/Lugo side only.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our suggestion would be to take the ALSA bus towards Grandas de Salime from Oviedo to Tineo - there might be only 1 bus per day. More buses go to Salas, but that is an extra day's walking. If Tineo is too many days then going to Pola de Allande, Berducedo or Grandas itself is an option. Starting in Pola de Allande gives you the walk over the beautiful mountain pass at Puerto de Palo. There is no public transport beteween Grandas and Fonsagrada, but you can shorten the long day after Fonsagrada by taking the little bus to Cádabo from there or from Paradavella (Lugo bus - 3 a day?). If short of time I would choose to start in Tineo or Pola and then shorten a day, or miss a stage, elsewhere because the Camino between there and Fonsagrada is what makes the Primitivo so special. If you have the CSJ guide to the Primitivo (Caminos del Norte; F) then you can work out the distances and it will help choose your starting point. Distances are also on our Primitivo blog, see link below my post, we walked short days so took 'double time'.
Note: You reach Grandas by bus from the Oviedo side only and Fonsagrada by bus from the Santiago/Lugo side only.
Buen Camino
Hi, By chance, your answer to that question has been perfect for me too! and your 2012 blog. A lovely blog. I am going to Oviedo on 6th April and have 11 days to walk....I was hoping I could work it out as I was going along. But with your info, I'll plan to get the bus to Tineo and maybe have to catch a bus another day too. I have the CSJ guide. Thank you. Slainte! Miriam

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back