• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Portuguese Camino on Tuesday

ricrog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (07), Ingles(09), VDLP (09/10/11), Portuguese (12/20), Del Sur (18), Algarve Way(14/17)
Flying into Faro today, then Lisbon on the weekend and start walking next Tuesday 18th Sep from Porto, 32 deg forecast for Faro today and 29 deg for Porto on Tuesday ---AAAAAAAARGH! Arriving in Faro at 10pm, no buses into town so will camp out under a bush at airport, probably cooler under the stars. YEEE HA!
Be looking out for all you Peregrinos out there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bom Caminho!

Good luck with the Portuguese language! Easy enough to read usually but it sounds like Russian with a Spanish tweak when spoken. Should you remember, leaving Tui, in the woods, is a small shrine honoring, sorry you are British, honouring Saint Telmo by his "bridge". I am ex-Navy so please give him my regards.
S

I am planning on doing the Portuguese Camino next year and would love to read about your journey. Please post often. Since I do not speak the language, communicating will be a challenge—one that I am looking forward to. On the Camino Frances I was able to speak in French and Spanish and did not have a problem getting information, directions, etc.

Once you complete your pilgrimage, please let me know which maps and guides you used and if they were adequate. Looking forward to reading more about the Portuguese Way.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I fly out today for the Camino Portugues from Tuy, just the five day part, which may take me six days. It is mostly a warm up for the Camino Primitivo. You would have to move real fast to pass me, ricrog, but I will save a cold beer for you in Santiago!

There is probably little more to be said about the route than has been posted here, but if I find unique information, I will drop into the Forum to pass it on.

As always, many thanks to Ivar for providing this invaluable website.

falcon269 said:
I fly out today for the Camino Portugues from Tuy, just the five day part, which may take me six days. It is mostly a warm up for the Camino Primitivo. You would have to move real fast to pass me, ricrog, but I will save a cold beer for you in Santiago!

There is probably little more to be said about the route than has been posted here, but if I find unique information, I will drop into the Forum to pass it on.

As always, many thanks to Ivar for providing this invaluable website.
Hey Falcon, guess I missed you in Santiago, hope you drank my beer for me!
Rick :wink:

k-fun said:
I am planning on doing the Portuguese Camino next year and would love to read about your journey. Please post often. Since I do not speak the language, communicating will be a challenge—one that I am looking forward to. On the Camino Frances I was able to speak in French and Spanish and did not have a problem getting information, directions, etc.

Once you complete your pilgrimage, please let me know which maps and guides you used and if they were adequate. Looking forward to reading more about the Portuguese Way.
Hey K-Fun
Don't worry about Portuguese, Spanish will get you by. You can view my journal of the walk here
http://ricrog.blogspot.co.uk/
As to maps and guides, I made a word document from various sources to carry with me, I'd be glad to share it with you, it's too big to upload here but I could email it to you if you send me your address
Rick :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
scruffy1 said:
Bom Caminho!

Good luck with the Portuguese language! Easy enough to read usually but it sounds like Russian with a Spanish tweak when spoken. Should you remember, leaving Tui, in the woods, is a small shrine honoring, sorry you are British, honouring Saint Telmo by his "bridge". I am ex-Navy so please give him my regards.
S
Hiya Scruffy, got this too late to comply with your request, but did note the shrine.
Portuguese was no problem as I speak it quite fluently due to having been married to a Brazillian "lady"-(bad memories!) many years ago.
Rick :x

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back