• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting second credential

CarolamS

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 VdlP/Sanabres from Salamanca to SdC
Good morning from León.
I have now filled up my first credential and tomorrow need to start my second. I am not sure how to fill out the first page. Would the start date and start point be the same as in my first credential? I started in Logroño on 23 Sept. So I should put that in my second, not tomorrow's date and León?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would do as @Kiwi-family suggested.
Though in the past I have just glued an extra piece of paper on.

That got me thinking about the current 'official' Credencial.
Whilst I know there are many others that are approved for use.
I mean this one. Which has the whole reverse side filled with maps!

Credencial.jpg

It has 36 spaces for stamps.
Assuming 2 stamps per day for the last 100 kms, let's call that 10 stamps.
That leaves 26 spaces / days, or 31 days in total.

For a longer Camino, or for anyone wanting to collect more stamps, it creates a bit of a challenge.
I'm wondering what might be best:

1. Use more than one Credencial. (I might need 3 next time)
  2. Use the reverse side with the maps, for additional stamps. But a bit messy.
  3. Glue some plain paper over the reverse side, allowing an extra 42 stamps (but it might detach)
I just wish there was a Credencial that had more space in it.
Like when you renew your passport, you can select a version with more pages......

I might try option #3 I think.

Maybe someone who has worked in the Pilgrim's office could comment on what might or might not be acceptable, in terms of creating more space?

Or maybe @ivar you could chat to the Pilgrim's office in SJPDP and get a batch of that version in stock? Lots more space in those...... (72) ;)
Though I think I had to extend one of those once too......

I don't walk far..........I walk slow.......... :cool:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Credencial.jpg

I have several of this style, and they all have 54 spaces for stamps.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Curious........
I wonder if yours and mine are different?
I have about 10 that Ivar sends with items I have bought from him.
All from the last couple of years.

I'm assuming the small shell dividers, indicate 6 per page?
2 per row in 3 rows.
And there are 6 pages for stamps.
You must be fitting 9 per page then?
That would be a squeeze wouldn't it? 3 per row....

Credencial.jpg

This is my most recent credential in that style.

PXL_20221009_091353953_copy_967x455.jpg

It has 8 boxes per page. There are six pages on the from side and one page on the back side for stamps.

It actually has spaces for 55 stamps. Seven on the first page with a larger box for the starting stamp.

I would do as @Kiwi-family suggested.
Though in the past I have just glued an extra piece of paper on.

View attachment 134446

Assuming 2 stamps per day for the last 100 kms, let's call that 10 stamps.
That leaves 26 spaces / days, or 31 days in total.

For a longer Camino, or for anyone wanting to collect more stamps, it creates a bit of a challenge.
I'm wondering what might be best:

1. Use more than one Credencial. (I might need 3 next time)
  2. Use the reverse side with the maps, for additional stamps. But a bit messy.
  3. Glue some plain paper over the reverse side, allowing an extra 42 stamps (but it might detach)
I just wish there was a Credencial that had more space in it.
Like when you renew your passport, you can select a version with more pages......

I might try option #3 I think.

Maybe someone who has worked in the Pilgrim's office could comment on what might or might not be acceptable, in terms of creating more space?

Or maybe @ivar you could chat to the Pilgrim's office in SJPDP and get a batch of that version in stock? Lots more space in those...... (72) ;)
Though I think I had to extend one of those once too......

I don't walk far..........I walk slow.......... :cool:
1665314551790.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good morning from León.
I have now filled up my first credential and tomorrow need to start my second. I am not sure how to fill out the first page. Would the start date and start point be the same as in my first credential? I started in Logroño on 23 Sept. So I should put that in my second, not tomorrow's date and León?
Copy the details from the first page of the first credential onto the first page of the second - you started in Logrono not Leon. Present all your credentials to the volunteer at the Pilgrim Office - do not lose the earlier ones!
Bear in mind the name you write on your credential is likely to be the version that appears, albeit in Latin, on your Compostela.
I prefer my full name: Jeffrey Thomas Crawley (Thomas after my Grandfather) but made the mistake of writing plain Jeffrey Crawley on one Camino and that's what was written on that year's Compostela

@Jeff Crawley On the Shikoku 88 temple pilgrimage most pilgrims collect their temple stamps in a special large notebook. But there is also a less common tradition of having the white pilgrim hakui jacket stamped instead. Might be washed less often than the pilgrim's face. :cool:

il_340x270.3901476580_nov1.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Copy the details from the first page of the first credential onto the first page of the second - you started in Logrono not Leon. Present all your credentials to the volunteer at the Pilgrim Office - do not lose the earlier ones!
Bear in mind the name you write on your credential is likely to be the version that appears, albeit in Latin, on your Compostela.
I prefer my full name: Jeffrey Thomas Crawley (Thomas after my Grandfather) but made the mistake of writing plain Jeffrey Crawley on one Camino and that's what was written on that year's Compostela
Thank you so much for answering my question 😊 Carolam is the name on my first Compostela but I've not needed more than one credential before.

Good morning from León.
I have used 3 credentials walking the Norte from Irun to Finisterre. I put the same information on page 1 of each credential, starting date and location in Irun, and for my own convenience I wrote Book 1, 2, and 3 on the cover page. It made easy in the Pilgrims Office when my credentials were checked for stamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning from León.
I am a stamp addict and I completely filled SEVEN of the SJPP French credentials (72 squares in each). All the first pages are identical - the starting date (26 May) and the finishing date (15 July) - with the cathedral stamp in each.

Attachments

• 1955E55C-28D9-42A6-B26C-40720F86B7E2.jpeg
    1955E55C-28D9-42A6-B26C-40720F86B7E2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
  • F405167F-9040-4877-AC8A-D7C5F8AC1CF3.jpeg
    F405167F-9040-4877-AC8A-D7C5F8AC1CF3.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 28
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Agree (I also had multiple credentials). Having different dates will confuse the volunteers at the Pilgrim Office.

And keep the earlier credentials, they’ll want to see those too.

Collect stamps shamelessly. It’s a lovely record of your camino and will help you recall the places you’ve been to 😊.

Good morning from León.
I finished the CF from SJPdP to SdC on 11 September. Because I wished to use only one side of my credenciales (due to eventual framing) with stamps, I merely completed the first page of credenciales #2 and #3 the same as what was on my starting credencial and wrote “Credencial #2” (or #3) at the top of the first (name) page. I handed in all three at the Pilgrims’ Office in Santiago and had my Compostela in 5 minutes.

Good morning from León.
I think the folks at the pilgrims office can see the dates on the two credentials are sequential and are a continuation of you Camino. Just get stamps on the second credential and present them.

€46,-
This is my most recent credential in that style.

View attachment 134454

It has 8 boxes per page. There are six pages on the from side and one page on the back side for stamps.

It actually has spaces for 55 stamps. Seven on the first page with a larger box for the starting stamp.

Hmm. Different layout to the ones I have. and an extra page.
I'll just carry 2 or 3 🙂

Good morning from León.
I know this is way too late for the OP, but in case others come across this thread in a similar situation...

When I had to start my second credential, what they did was put the start date and start point in the second credential the same as in the first, but after the starting point (Roncesvalles) in the second credential, they wrote in parentheses "#2 credencial".

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
White glue / cola blanca is your friend.

My current Credencial is one of the more extreme ones, but it's 10 of them glued together, about 4 metres long.

Oh, and that's double sided, and yes I have started filling in side B with stamps, as I still need to walk home.

And my Compostela is glued into it too.

Now, there's obviously no need at all to be so extreme, but the basic principle is a good one.

White glue / cola blanca is your friend.

My current Credencial is one of the more extreme ones, but it's 10 of them glued together, about 4 metres long.

Oh, and that's double sided, and yes I have started filling in side B with stamps, as I still need to walk home.

And my Compostela is glued into it too.

Now, there's obviously no need at all to be so extreme, but the basic principle is a good one.
Impressive!

Given that  many pilgrims are too lazy/dopey/thoughtless/forgetful/ignorant to fill in any details on the front pages of their credentials, PO staff will still quickly realise they are sequential and will stamp them all front and back to 'close' them, though they might insist the pilgrim fill in their details anyway. Best to put same details on all front pages to help expedite the process, but don't sweat it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.