• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting soon.....

TippMan

leaving SJPDP on June 20th, was really excited about this trip up to maybe a month ago but I'm now having doubts...........

I need to be in Santiago by July 25th, is it a reasonable expectation to achieve this in 35 days walking?

Doing it on my own and would love to meet people along the way, my problem is that I only speak English, will this pose a problem? Also is there a chance of some holiday romance? Just wondering.

Anyone else here starting out that day?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anything is possible. ;) While speaking only English can hamper you somewhat, you'll pick up on Camino lingo pretty quickly. There will be lots of folks on the Camino in July & 35 days is plenty of time. Is that all the time you have, or do you have a couple of flex days, in case you need to rest?

Kelly

Hi Kelly, thanks for reply, my flight leaves Santiago for Dublin on July 25th in the evening. I've 35 days in all so maybe two days at max to rest. I'm reasonably fit and 32 so should be physically able unless there is some unforeseen injury etc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bueno!

I did the camino in 32 days with 1 day rest. I was 56 and I walked 5k a day 5days out of 7 on a regular basis prior to my Camino so, no worries! Your English shouldn't be a problem. There were people from everywhere communicating and not a common language to be found. It's part of the adventure!

Buen Camino

Jim

Hi
I started walk inSt Jean Pied DePont on 30th of April and finished in Santiago on 31st of May.
A total of 31 days.Im 54 and wasnt all that fit and also overweight. I soon got into my stride. I walked slow a few times and at the end I walked faster. Yousould have no problems. As for the language barrier? Thats no problem at all.One day near the end of my camino a few of us were sitting around talking and between us we had met people from 35 countrys.English is spoken a lot. As for romance, dont go looking for anything on your camino.Things will find you if thats whats meant to be.
Bon Camino
Padraic Sligo Ireland

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As for romance, dont go looking for anything on your camino.Things will find you if thats whats meant to be

Good advice from another Irish bloke / pilgrim.
Just be yourself and enjoy the adventure.
All going well you can walk this journey within your timeframe. Should something go against you, and it is important to you to reach Santiago you can always hop on the bus for a stage.

With the forum badge on your pack you might find a fellow forum member on the way...

Buen Camino

Don't worry you will have no problems in finishing your Camino within your time limit.
Be very careful not to push yourself too hard over the first week. Allow your body tome to get used to the new routine.
Once you are acclimatised after the first few days you can adjust your pace as necessary.I would reccomend that you break your journey over the Route Napoleon by staying at Orrison.Our group arrived in Biarritz Airport at lunchtime and left SJPdeP at 3.30 We reached Orrison at 6ish and thought we were going to die! next day however we got into the routine .......slowly and after a few days we were very strong.
The language is not a problem......show willing and have a few phrases!
The craic will be unbeatable....... just be open to anything and see what happens!
Prepare yourself for a Life changing experience.

Up Tipp!

j maguire said:
Don't worry you will have no problems in finishing your Camino within your time limit.
Be very careful not to push yourself too hard over the first week. Allow your body tome to get used to the new routine.
Once you are acclimatised after the first few days you can adjust your pace as necessary.I would reccomend that you break your journey over the Route Napoleon by staying at Orrison.Our group arrived in Biarritz Airport at lunchtime and left SJPdeP at 3.30 We reached Orrison at 6ish and thought we were going to die! next day however we got into the routine .......slowly and after a few days we were very strong.
The language is not a problem......show willing and have a few phrases!
The craic will be unbeatable....... just be open to anything and see what happens!
Prepare yourself for a Life changing experience.

Up Tipp!

it better be worth it, I'm missing Tipp V Clare and the Munster final for this :lol:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jacobus said:
Bueno!

I was 56 and I walked 5k a day 5days out of 7 on a regular basis prior to my Camino so,

Jim

TippMan: Romance ? Sure - we are all looking for someone with smelly feet, who needs a good wash - some blisters are considered a bonus !!!! but it will eat into your days and you'll probably wander off-track in that dreamy kinda headspace looking for flowers :)

I would like to ask about Jim's walking preparation of 5K (5days out of 7). Should anything else be added ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey, Let's get everything into perspective here. The trip to Tipp,followed to getting all the breaking ball & subsequent journey to Croke Park, is far more demanding & important than the walk to Santiago,except in a Holy Year. So as you lads shout up the Banner etc I'll cheer an Lú abú.If you can promote that worldwide the rest of the pilgrims will have easy access to albergues.
Deirdré with Munster blood,the pilgrim chick with the blue shells, can happily sit on fence and enjoy banter.
P.S. If you come for romance in the wee county, impress the chicks/pilgrims by visiting St. Oliver's Shrine in early July.

Hello,
I am starting on the 22nd of June out of SJPDP but I need to fly out of santiago on the 25th of July also. Mostly I'm worried about finding somewhere to sleep and carrying my backpack. If I have to take a bus at some point then it is not the end of the world (or that is what I am telling myself).

Maybe I'll press the turbo button on my lovely boots and catch you up along the way!!

All the best for your camino,
Lydia

lydstar said:
Hello,
I am starting on the 22nd of June out of SJPDP but I need to fly out of santiago on the 25th of July also. Mostly I'm worried about finding somewhere to sleep and carrying my backpack. If I have to take a bus at some point then it is not the end of the world (or that is what I am telling myself).

Maybe I'll press the turbo button on my lovely boots and catch you up along the way!!

All the best for your camino,
Lydia
Do that, it'd be good to meet you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
crackmrmac said:
Hey, Let's get everything into perspective here. The trip to Tipp,followed to getting all the breaking ball & subsequent journey to Croke Park, is far more demanding & important than the walk to Santiago,except in a Holy Year. So as you lads shout up the Banner etc I'll cheer an Lú abú.If you can promote that worldwide the rest of the pilgrims will have easy access to albergues.
Deirdré with Munster blood,the pilgrim chick with the blue shells, can happily sit on fence and enjoy banter.
P.S. If you come for romance in the wee county, impress the chicks/pilgrims by visiting St. Oliver's Shrine in early July.
excellent post, getting out of Munster isn't the problem for Tipp, its the fear of meeting Louth in Croke Park that has us feeling the fear :lol:

The best preparation is to walk vigourously for about an hour a day for a few week's before you leave.It will be a big advantage if you can spend some of that time on the Galtees or the Devils Bit !. ............. Any time spent on hills will help...... particularly on the Route Napoleon.

This year forget about Clare............... Just make sure that you are home for the win over Kilkenny in the first week in September................... your Camino should be well and truly finished by then!

Hi Tipp-man...I am arriving in to SJP hopefully on evening of 20th and am like you doing the whole thing, you never know we may bump into each other...I am intending to stay at Orisson on the first night and I dont mind admitting that since I arrive in SJP at earliest 8pm I am getting a taxi to there to take the edge off what I believe will be quite enough for one day having set out from Listowel at 5.30 am...I intend to walk it all PG but I am not a believer in compulsory pain.. 8)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
kerrysean said:
Hi Tipp-man...I am arriving in to SJP hopefully on evening of 20th and am like you doing the whole thing, you never know we may bump into each other...I am intending to stay at Orisson on the first night and I dont mind admitting that since I arrive in SJP at earliest 8pm I am getting a taxi to there to take the edge off what I believe will be quite enough for one day having set out from Listowel at 5.30 am...I intend to walk it all PG but I am not a believer in compulsory pain.. 8)
Seanie Boy, i'll have started out the morning you arrive so i'll be a day ahead of you, but no doubt you'll catch up. I'll have to tie a Tipp headband to my rucksack to make myself identifyable.

No doubt our paths will cross somewhere along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back