• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

?Starting Sureste in early March

Hi Joe,
Yes I'm on the Invierno. Started from Ponferada yesterday and stopped in
Puente Domingo. I stayed at the Hostal La Torre for the special pilgrim price of €18 as opposed to booking.com €34 for the same room. Today I'm at the Alburgue in A`rua €15 which includes breakfast and I'm in a single room, result.

Astorga was a bit of a shock, so many people. I stayed in the Municipal Alburgue, it was pretty full and with 146 beds it was a little noisy. On the following day I stopped in Rabanal at Gaucelmo Alburgue which is a donativo that provides afternoon tea and breakfast. It's my third visit here and I always leave a good donation. Then it was on to Ponferada and a room of my own for two days.
The walk up from Rabanal to Cruz de ferro and down to Molenesqu is one of my favorite parts of the Frances way, especially when sunny with clear skies. I only spent two days on the Frances way it was enough for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Maxie,
I'm pretty definite now that I will take exactly the same route as you've done. It was always my intention but your feedback, all along this particular combination of ways to Santiago, has not only removed any doubts but has made me even more excited about the great camino. I have the Frances tee-shirt and while I hope to do it again some day down the line I seek the less trodden road. I'm a pretty social animal but really enjoy the isolation and space that some of these less popular routes provide. It is just under 15 weeks before I head out to Alicante and just can't wait! In the mean time I do hope the sun continues to shine on you as you approach Santiago.

Hi Joe,
After a very nice walk today I'm in Quiroga and staying in the Alburgue. For €10 I have a single room and as the weather forecast is for cold wind and rain tomorrow I've decided to stay 2 nights.
The Sureste and Invierno combination is a really good fit. If you have half as a good a time as I've had you will have a wonderful walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Joe,
After a very nice walk today I'm in Quiroga and staying in the Alburgue. For €10 I have a single room and as the weather forecast is for cold wind and rain tomorrow I've decided to stay 2 nights.
The Sureste and Invierno combination is a really good fit. If you have half as a good a time as I've had you will have a wonderful walk.
A little surprised you have opted to stay in Quiroga for 2 days - I found it to be a rather dismal place with littel choice for food in the evening unless you wanted to eat after 2200! I stopped at Monforte de Lemos which is about 35kms after Quiroga which has lots of accommodation choices ( I stayed at the Hostal Puente Romano) and a fine place to taste the local wines!

@MikeJS Quiroga is not a place I would normally stay for very long, it's OK but nothing special.
I love walking but don't care so much for walking in a head wind with rain, I do it but avoid it if I can. The weather is my only reason for staying more than one night.
Thanks for the recommendation for the Hostel Puente Romano I will check it out when I arrive in Monforte tomorrow.

Last edited:
I just checked Gronze.com and Booking.com and couldn't find Hostal Puente Romano, am I doing something wrong?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
See - http://www.hpuenteromano.com I did not book this through booking.com. I just walked in and asked for a room (they have a LOT of rooms). Its nothng special but right by the old roman bridge. There are lots of places to choose form in MdL so need need to book.
Cheers Mike,
A very convenient Hostal for €18 with Pilgrim discount.
Lovely walk today, weather was a little overcast but other than that a perfect day.

Hi Maxie,
How's things going? Have you reached Santiago Yet? Hope all well

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Finished a couple of days ago.
The Invierno is a Camino not to be missed.
Here is my track profile.
Screenshot_2018-05-19-11-32-03.png
Lots of nice scenery and plenty of quiet time. Accommodation is good and at reasonable prices.

Hi Maxie,

Firstly I want to congratulate you on your achievement in reaching Santiago all the way from Alicante. You had some really bad conditions along the way and more power to you for working through them. I also want to again thank you for all the wonderful and very useful information you have provided on your camino. I can't wait to try and follow in your footsteps when I start on the 23rd August from Alicante! Have you finished walking or are you still on the road somewhere?

May I wish you all the very best. Joe

Thank you for those kind words, Joe.

I'm staying in Santiago until the end of June doing my yearly Hospitalero stint. Then I go to the Pyrenees for July and August. This year I'm either going to walk the HRP or go bagging the 3000m tops that I haven't yet got. I've already through hiked both the GR 10 and the GR 11 the HRP will give me the triple crown. It all depends on the snow conditions as it has been a high snow year and the HRP crosses many high passes. After the Pyrenees, I will walk another Camino back into Santiago and will help close the Albergue for the season.

Good luck with your Camino, have a great journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are not a mere mortal and put most of us to shame! All the very best Maxie in all your future endeavours and stay safe up on those snowy peaks.

Hey @Maxie may I also ask you if the Sureste is doable if you are like me on a strict budget? I was getting information about the Camino del Norte and I saw there are many albergues or municipales that cost less than 10€ per night, I was then trying to find some info about the pices on the Sureste but I haven't found much (I have also the official guide from Alicante but the pricing isn't always expressed)

So to sum up: Are there albergues that ask max 10€ to sleep?

Thank you very much!

Hi Matte,
The Sureste is similar in price to other Caminos if you factor in that some days will cost nothing yet others can cost €20 per night. If you have a tent its possible to find a good camp spot every day, extra water will need to be carried if going for this option. Take showers in Polideportivos, zero cost for accommodation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Maxie Thank you very much, seriously that is for me some great news. I think I will start the Sureste as I will be in Alicante for work and see if I like this Camino, if I don't I will move to Norte.

Thank you a lot Maxie!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back