• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Camino del Norte at the end of August

NickJM

Norte, Primitivo & Finisterre 2021, Frances 23
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte, Primitivo, Finisterre 21,
Arles,Frances 23
I'm starting the Camino del Norte at Irun in the last week in August and planning to do easy stages of 15-20km daily, finishing up in Ribadeo in early October (and then do the other half to Finisterre in spring 2022). My walking companion has had to pull out at the last minute so I'll be going solo. Wondering how busy the Camino is in late summer/early Autumn - nice to have company along the way. Any tips and advice welcome. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm starting the Camino del Norte at Irun in the last week in August and planning to do easy stages of 15-20km daily, finishing up in Ribadeo in early October (and then do the other half to Finisterre in spring 2022). My walking companion has had to pull out at the last minute so I'll be going solo. Wondering how busy the Camino is in late summer/early Autumn - nice to have company along the way. Any tips and advice welcome. Thanks.
Hi there. Currently on the Norte about 12 days in. Been fantastic and very straightforward so far with good weather. I am a solo traveller (from UK) but have connected with quite a few people from various countries including USA, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Life’s feels very normal again and the cities and towns are very busy esp. the bars, restaurants and beaches!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there. Currently on the Norte about 12 days in. Been fantastic and very straightforward so far with good weather. I am a solo traveller (from UK) but have connected with quite a few people from various countries including USA, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Life’s feels very normal again and the cities and towns are very busy esp. the bars, restaurants and beaches!
Thanks Chef66....good to know. Looking forward to starting. Rgds, Nick

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Interesting. What sort of accommodation are you staying in?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, my wife and I are flying out to Madrid on the 20th, have booked a train to Burgos in order to walk the Frances to Santiago but are seriously thinking of staying on the train to San Sebastián and walking the Norte instead. We’ve been concerned about the possible lack of accommodation. We do try to stay in a double rooms in albergues if possible, though in private hostels if not. What’s your view on the accommodation situation at the moment? Cheers.

Hi, my wife and I are flying out to Madrid on the 20th, have booked a train to Burgos in order to walk the Frances to Santiago but are seriously thinking of staying on the train to San Sebastián and walking the Norte instead. We’ve been concerned about the possible lack of accommodation. We do try to stay in a double rooms in albergues if possible, though in private hostels if not. What’s your view on the accommodation situation at the moment? Cheers.
I would be prepared to spend more on the Norte in the summer, since the northern coast of Spain is a popular holiday destination. Also I would plan to book a couple of days ahead. But I think that you will love it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We arrive in Irun August 15th to walk full Norte including Finisterre. Originally scheduled for July 24 but postponed out of Covid caution. Hopefully all OK by then. I will follow this post as we get closer.

We arrive in Irun August 15th to walk full Norte including Finisterre. Originally scheduled for July 24 but postponed out of Covid caution. Hopefully all OK by then. I will follow this post as we get closer.
Thanks Donny, I think i'll be about 10 days behind you....interested to read your thoughts along the way. Nick

Book ahead. You are competing with tourists and there are a lot of them at the northern coast at the moment. Why don't you right now try to find places to stay for your fist 2 or 3 stages or so? Then you will get an impression of how difficult (and how expensive) this might get and make up your mind.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So about 20 days into the Norte. No real issues re accommodation . I tend to look first at booking.com and then work from there. Mainly Hostels from either booking.com, hostels calling ahead to next destination, a couple of private rooms and a couple of donativos. Asturias feels the trickiest but should work out. Quite a lot of pilgrims most of who just turn up of day and not heard of any issues. guess I have stayed in at cities...Irun, San Sebastián, Santander and Gijon and a few tourist destination so always going to be space there. Currently at donativo at San Martin de Lapspra.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stayed at the Municpal at Soto de Luina last night! Lots of pilgrims but thankfully more than enough beds. 8 euro.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back