• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Camino from Porto October 1

2018Retirement

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2018 Fall)
Hi there! First time walking and was just putting this out there if there is anyone I can connect with that is starting the Camino October 1st this year. Thank you...….Barbara

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there! First time walking and was just putting this out there if there is anyone I can connect with that is starting the Camino October 1st this year. Thank you...….Barbara
Hi Barbara
Congratulations on your retirement.
The freedom to choose just when you want to be on camino !

No need to worry a lot about company from Porto .
This route is getting good numbers nowadays and yet not so many that you will feel overrun ..

If you haven’t already ordered your credencial from this forum from Ivar., you can get one at the cathedral in Porto. Lots to see in Porto so give yourself enough time to ease into your camino. Not far from cathedral is the railway station. It’s worth checking out — beautiful tile work inside .. you’ll see many tourists arriving to check it out too.

Check out Jill Salts post (she mentions some good ideas of things to do in Porto ).

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ut-for-the-lowveld-ramblers-we’re-back.56275/

Porto to SdC was my first camino and others recommended we take the train a few stops out to miss some of the cobble stones. In hindsight , I’m not sure it was a good idea ., I’ll never know unless I go back and walk it again.
A beautiful way though., I hope it goes as well for you.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Enjoy, this is a wonderful route. I walked from Porto. We began at Cathedral Se and walked along to water to Vila do Conte and then on the central route from Barcellos to SdC. Consider spending a few days in Porto. It is a beautiful city. (Their motto is 1/2 the size of Lisbon, but twice the fun.) I'd also suggest taking a rest day at the 1/2 point in Tui at the Portugal/Spain border. Both sides of the border are fascinating towns that are well worth savoring. Bom Caminho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hiya, I'll be starting ten days before you. I'm planning on the central route and will be writing a blog daily (I've not long since been back from walking sjpdp to Santiago). If I find any good albergues or places of interest they'll be included in the blog. Feel free to check it out.
Hope it helps
Andy

firstcamino.wordpress com

Hiya, I'll be starting ten days before you. I'm planning on the central route and will be writing a blog daily (I've not long since been back from walking sjpdp to Santiago). If I find any good albergues or places of interest they'll be included in the blog. Feel free to check it out.
Hope it helps
Andy

firstcamino.wordpress com

Camino bug got you early.

Buen camino to you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I will be starting in Porto on Sept. 22. We plan to start on the coast and cut over. We are planning a “relaxed” Camino. (12 - 14km average). Hope to see some of you and will follow the blog.

Hi Barbara
Congratulations on your retirement and doing the Camino. Four Old Guys Walking meet in Porto on Oct 1 and start our trek to Santiago on Oct 2nd. We plan to walk the coast to Vila do Conde and then cross over to the central route at Arcos. But as other have said, don't worry about company, there will be ample. In any case you are certainly welcome to join us.

Buen Camino
Bob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be starting from Porto on October 1, walking the first day along the coast and then heading over to the Central to end up at Casa da Fernanda on October 4 (and then on from there to SdC). Perhaps I will see you. Are you setting out from Porto immediately upon arrival or are you arriving a bit earlier and starting walking on the first? I'll be arriving in Porto in the afternoon on September 30, but will start walking the next morning.

Camino bug got you early.

Hi Barbara
Congratulations on your retirement and doing the Camino. Four Old Guys Walking meet in Porto on Oct 1 and start our trek to Santiago on Oct 2nd. We plan to walk the coast to Vila do Conde and then cross over to the central route at Arcos. But as other have said, don't worry about company, there will be ample. In any case you are certainly welcome to join us.

Buen Camino
Bob
Thank you Bob! Very kind.....i'll let you know....Barbara
I will be starting from Porto on October 1, walking the first day along the coast and then heading over to the Central to end up at Casa da Fernanda on October 4 (and then on from there to SdC). Perhaps I will see you. Are you setting out from Porto immediately upon arrival or are you arriving a bit earlier and starting walking on the first? I'll be arriving in Porto in the afternoon on September 30, but will start walking the next morning.
I will be arriving the 29th and heading out October 1st....seems like quite a few people head for the central route ?

I will be arriving the 29th and heading out October 1st....seems like quite a few people head for the central route ?
I think by the numbers the central route has the most traffic, but the walk out of Porto has a bad reputation. The walk along the coast is supposed to be the much nicer exit from the city. So I think a lot of the people walking the central route start with one day on the coast to give them that nicer exit and a taste of the coastal.

I haven't yet booked accommodations in Porto for the 30th. Can I ask where you are staying and why you picked it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
I think by the numbers the central route has the most traffic, but the walk out of Porto has a bad reputation. The walk along the coast is supposed to be the much nicer exit from the city. So I think a lot of the people walking the central route start with one day on the coast to give them that nicer exit and a taste of the coastal.

I haven't yet booked accommodations in Porto for the 30th. Can I ask where you are staying and why you picked it?
I haven't booked accommodations yet. Retiring from the policing world I would also caution people, and women in particular, not to divulge such information to anyone that they don't know......Barb

Hi Barbara

Buen Camino
Bob
thank you and maybe see you on the way! Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Barbara

Buen Camino
Bob
Hi bob. Which route are you taking out of Porto?

Hi Barbara

We are walking to the coast and heading north to Vila do Conde; staying there then crossing over to the central route at Arcos. This thread has told us walking the central out of Porto is mind numbing. It is 10 or more Km of industrial areal. The alternative is to take the underground north 10 to 15 Km and start the central walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back