• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the camino in a couple of weeks

BroncosPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013) Camino Frances
Hello everyone, I have quite a few questions so please excuse the post if it seems that I am jumping from one place to another.

We (my wife an I) are set to start the camino on the 20th or 21st of this month. We are planning to go as far as Burgos this time around. So far the route that we are planning to follow is this one: http://tinyurl.com/brav5u5 (have been reading and will continue following this thread: el-camino-frances/topic16961-200.html and paying close attention to Navarricano's post on weather updates so the start of our route may change depending on the weather as we get closer to the date).

Some of my questions are:
- Do the albergues accept credit cards or should we just plan on cash?
- How much money should we be carrying? I have heard that there are ATMs around in the towns but I am wondering how accessible they are specially early morning or late in the afternoon/night when we get to the albergues.
- We are planning to be on the Camino for 11 to 12 days. Is our goal to reach Burgos a realistic one? We are both very fit and the outdoor type of people but the last thing that I want to be is rushed and not enjoy the walk. I guess what I am really asking is if for this leg of the trip we are allowing ourselves a little elbow room.
- Weather permitting we would like to spend a night or two sleeping outside in the lower elevation areas (probably around Pamplona), does anyone have any recommendations on a good area to do this?

We purchased the latest revision of the 'A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago: St. Jean -Roncesvalles - Santiago (Aamino Guides)' guide and it does provide a bit of insightful information. However, I would like to know if someone could give me some tips on some of the best eateries that are representative of the culture in the region.

Thank-you for help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
- Do the albergues accept credit cards or should we just plan on cash? Cash

- How much money should we be carrying? I have heard that there are ATMs around in the towns but I am wondering how accessible they are specially early morning or late in the afternoon/night when we get to the albergues.To save on bank fees, withdraw 300E about every five days. Small villages may not have an ATM, so make withdrawals in larger towns when you have the opportunity.

- We are planning to be on the Camino for 11 to 12 days. Is our goal to reach Burgos a realistic one? Yes.

We are both very fit and the outdoor type of people but the last thing that I want to be is rushed and not enjoy the walk. I guess what I am really asking is if for this leg of the trip we are allowing ourselves a little elbow room. Not a lot of room at 11 days! It will be 26 km a day.

Falcon, thank-you for the reply.
One more thing I forgot ask is if there are albergues to stay at in SJPdP where we can spend the night prior to starting the Camino or if we should make reservations elsewhere.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mr Brierley and others make arriving in Burgos the end of the 12th day so you won't be pushed as long as nothing goes wrong, weather, injury, wanting to detour or have a day off ...

Do carry cash, the refugios and smaller villages deal in cash, and with the economy as it is (they don't have one) cash exchanging hands is much more preferable than plastic :wink: - but split it up when you carry it so that should you lose your cash you only lose some of it!!

6 kms before Logrono there is a large lagoon which is a haven for birds - you will see a bird-watching building - well worth going in as the wall overlooking the lagoon is all glass and they have telescopes and binoculars on tripods for people to use (and they have a toilet!!).
I have met more than one person who camped by the lagoon. There are many footpaths and it is isolated and rather pleasant - except for mosquitoes later in the year.

You know, you can always hop a bus - lots of good and frequent and cheap buses in Spain - Estella to Logrono for instance, so much better than being rushed.

Enjoy

Buen Camino

My plans are to be in SJPP on the 16th of May and I tried making a reservation at espritduchemin and it looks like it is booked solid! Hopefully, I will be able to find some place to sleep!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
wonzi said:
My plans are to be in SJPP on the 16th of May and I tried making a reservation at espritduchemin and it looks like it is booked solid! Hopefully, I will be able to find some place to sleep!
I reckon you'll be fine. The pilgrim's office will help. L'esprit du Chemin has a great reputation on this forum at least, so it's bound to get booked up early. Buen Camino!

Plenty of room in St Jean. If you walk down the cobbled street that the pilgrim welcome centre/office is in - go in and get your first Sello! or buy a passport for 0.50€ - , which is on the Camino itself, and you will see that some refugio owners will be at their doors to invite you in, as well as signs in the windows showing vacancies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back