• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the camino in BRUSSELS (Belgium)

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
During the lunch break at work, sometimes I go out for a little walk.
I noticed on the Grand Place of Brussels a camino shell marker, so I start to search for the way.
It's not so easy to spot the markers.
The camino to Santiago follows the GR route but not for 100%
The shells are pointing the direction, but the one on the Grand Place (first picture) is pointing to a souvenir shop. Maybe they removed the stone for a work and replaced it wrongly.
It goes from the Grand Place to Manneken Pis , and goes up to the Keizerlaan.
Here are some pictures.
13-BRUSSEL-grote-markt-camino.jpg

24-BRUSSEL-manneken-pis-camino.jpg

27-BRUSSEL-camino-eikstraat.jpg

28-BRUSSEL-camino-eikstraat.jpg

30-BRUSSEL-camino-keizerlaan.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love your photos and I love Brussels! After finishing my Camino, I began to spot Camino shells everywhere, in the strangest places. One was on a bicycle path in the vineyards of the Loire Valley in France (can you see it?) and another is in Antwerp. The first I ever saw was in Rothenberg ab der Tauber in Germany, about 3 months before I began my first Camino. It was a cold and snowy day but seeing that shell was a thrill I'll never forget.IMGP2432.JPG
IMGP5495.JPG IMGP4953.JPG

Hello Kathy,
Thank you for your feedback and thank you to post some other pictures. Next time I'm in Antwerp, I will look to the ground. Looking to the pavement, I think you took the picture close to the cathedral.
Meanwhile, in Brussels I found the next marker close to the Kapellekerk/église la Chapelle. So the next I will bring my camera at work, I will post more pictures and see till where I can walk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I visit friends in Belgium, and particularly in Antwerp several times a year. I used to live there - outside Antwerp. This might be a good idea to do a historic northern portion that eventually flows into the Camino Frances at St. Jean Pied de Port: Antwerp, Brussels...France...St. Jean Pied de Port. It might take more than one go. But I still think it is worth it. At the very least, it gives me something to dream about between Caminos. ;)

Does anyone out there have additional leads, URL lnks, photos or information that would allow me to plot this historic northern Camino segment? Is this northern segment part of the le Puy, Vezelay, or another Camino?

How about maps and guide books? Or listings of accommodation / lodging along the way? I can work in English, Dutch and French in that order of preference. Can anyone make recommendations?

This is awesome information! Now I can combine a visit to my friends with a Camino...joepie! (Dutch for yippee!)

Thanks to all and Merry / Happy Christmas!

Hello Tom,

I just found this map. Belgium has some opportunities to start: Antwerp, Brussels but also Brugge, Luik/Liège,...
Antwerp connects Brussels and continues to Nijvel, St-Quentin, Paris, Tours, SjpdP.
But in Brussels, you can choose the yellow marked GR126 to Namen/Namur => Rocroi and it should connect to Vézelay.
I'm sure the route I followed in Brussels is going to Paris.
belgium-camino.jpg

Gunnar: Thanks! That is a very good first step. Are there any English, Vlaams / Dutch, or French guides for the various routes in Belgium? I know that once I hit France, there are materials galore available from any number of sources to guide the pilgrim.

Based on the map, the most direct route, at least from Antwerp, would be the via Brabantica south to the via Gallia Belgica. On the other hand, the GR@12 connects to the GR 654 on the border at Rocroi. At some point I will need to sort this out. Right now, I am in basic research and information collection mode.

Thank you again.

I was in Brussels a few weeks ago and saw a blue and yellow scallop tile on a church (St. George I think). I was more excited about that than the fully clothed Mannekin Pis. It got me thinking as I quaffed Belgian beer in Le Cirio bar. The more Trappist beer I drank, the better the idea of walking to to Santiago from Brussels became. Can't imagine why.

Gunnar: Thanks! That is a very good first step. Are there any English, Vlaams / Dutch, or French guides for the various routes in Belgium? I know that once I hit France, there are materials galore available from any number of sources to guide the pilgrim.

Based on the map, the most direct route, at least from Antwerp, would be the via Brabantica south to the via Gallia Belgica. On the other hand, the GR@12 connects to the GR 654 on the border at Rocroi. At some point I will need to sort this out. Right now, I am in basic research and information collection mode.

Thank you again.

There are indeed some very good guides from the flemish confraternity. I use the guide from the Via Limburgica regularly.
http://www.compostelagenootschap.be/article.aspx?id=548

Thank you very much. I will certainly look into that. I found the Flemish Society of Santiago de Compostela earlier today, after I wrote the first post above. So, now I will ask one of my friends to buy several of the guides and mail them to me, or save them for my next trip over to visit.

Thank you for the assist. If anyone has additional ideas, please let me know.

Thank you very much. I will certainly look into that. I found the Flemish Society of Santiago de Compostela earlier today, after I wrote the first post above. So, now I will ask one of my friends to buy several of the guides and mail them to me, or save them for my next trip over to visit.

Thank you for the assist. If anyone has additional ideas, please let me know.

Really quick to order them. Tell if I can be of assistance...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is very true. You do enjoy wonderful train service. When I lived there, I bought a stad fiets made by Oxford and used it every day. Now that I am home, the streets here are too dangerous to use a bicycle, so it sits in storage as one of my favorite memories of living in Belgium. And you are the first person living in Limburg I have met.

This is very true. You do enjoy wonderful train service. When I lived there, I bought a stad fiets made by Oxford and used it every day. Now that I am home, the streets here are too dangerous to use a bicycle, so it sits in storage as one of my favorite memories of living in Belgium. And you are the first person living in Limburg I have met.

Well Tom, that is a first : someone thinking our train service is good...;). Now seriously it is nice you found this service ok! Happy Camino preparation.

Some pics from flemish caminos...
The first is of the Monastica, other two of the Limburgica

Attachments

• monastica.jpg
    monastica.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Limburgica.jpg
    Limburgica.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Berg Limburgica.jpg
    Berg Limburgica.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those photos are VERY helpful. The markings in Belgium are different than in France or Spain. It is always good to see the variations.

Living in the U.S. EVERYONE has better train service than us. When we lived there, outside Antwerp, I used it regularly and found I could get close to wherever I needed to go.

Thank you again.

Peter Robbins' site has the maps, and the marked routes link to the associated reference sites. I too saw the bronze scallop shell in downtown Brussels; in Ghent as well. Also I noticed the red-and-white balises (same markings used on the GR routes in France). It's my understanding that there is an attempt to get everyone to shift over to the blue-and-gold stylized "Euro" shell.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi everyone out there!

@Gunnar: the very first scallop I ever saw here in Brussels is "Rue de Louvain/Leuvense Weg" - just close to the senate, the Flemish parliament and the sculpture of Arne Quinze
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arne_Quinze_Sequence3.JPG

It then passes along the "Saint Michel et Gudule"-cathedral before descending to Grand Place.
I just know that afterwards it is going towards "Porte de Hal/Halle Poort".
And I guess that this one is the way via Nivelles (Nijvel) heading towards Paris and the Via Turonensis

But as you already said, there are different options.
I have a book by Arnout Hauben "Weg naar Compostella" (he walked with a camera on his back to make a documentary series for the Flemish television, is it?).
He walked from Schaarbeek towards Namur to join Vezelay.
http://www.een.be/programmas/man-bijt-hond/weg-naar-compostela

@t2andreo
The Frenchspeaking "Amis de Saint Jacques" have also guides in French:
http://www.st-jacques.be/spip.php?rubrique6

Hi everyone out there!

@Gunnar: the very first scallop I ever saw here in Brussels is "Rue de Louvain/Leuvense Weg" - just close to the senate, the Flemish parliament and the sculpture of Arne Quinze
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Arne_Quinze_Sequence3.JPG

It then passes along the "Saint Michel et Gudule"-cathedral before descending to Grand Place.
I just know that afterwards it is going towards "Porte de Hal/Halle Poort".
And I guess that this one is the way via Nivelles (Nijvel) heading towards Paris and the Via Turonensis

But as you already said, there are different options.
I have a book by Arnout Hauben "Weg naar Compostella" (he walked with a camera on his back to make a documentary series for the Flemish television, is it?).
He walked from Schaarbeek towards Namur to join Vezelay.
http://www.een.be/programmas/man-bijt-hond/weg-naar-compostela

@t2andreo
The Frenchspeaking "Amis de Saint Jacques" have also guides in French:
http://www.st-jacques.be/spip.php?rubrique6

FatmaG: Thank you very much for the assistance. I sincerely appreciate it. My French is slightly better than my Dutch.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Fatma,
Meanwhile, here are some other interesting pictures I took last Friday.
Behind the cathedral, there is an important GR cross.
The direction to the right Ukkel -Paris-Rocroi is pointing to the front of the cathedral (picture 3) and goes to the Grand Place. It make sense that this direction goes to the Hallepoort/Porte de Hal and afterwards to Ukkel. After the Hallepoort, does it go to the Barrière de St Gilles?
The shell you noticed at the Leuvenseweg is direction left. But here is something I don't understand. The direction left is direction Leuven-Luik and not Antwerpen. As Antwerpen is in fact behind me, the place where I took the picture. This is confirmed by a colleague who already did Antwerpen-Brussels by following the GR.
So I suppose the directions must be corrected.
In fact, for me it's a nice project to clear this out during lunch break.

Adrian, I can't find the St-George church in Brussels. Can you tell me where this church is?
In Brussels, there is the Finistere church in de Nieuwstraat/Rue Neuve, the main shopping street. But is has nothing to do with the end of the camino. They gave this name to the church because many, many years ago, this area was all flat agriculture land and they gave this name because it look like it was the end of the world.

04-BRUSSEL-achter-de-kerk.jpg

05-BRUSSEL-achter-de-kerk.jpg 07-BRUSSEL-voor-de-kerk.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was in Brussels a few weeks ago and saw a blue and yellow scallop tile on a church (St. George I think). I was more excited about that than the fully clothed Mannekin Pis. It got me thinking as I quaffed Belgian beer in Le Cirio bar. The more Trappist beer I drank, the better the idea of walking to to Santiago from Brussels became. Can't imagine why.
So now I'm thinking of a "pub pilgrimage." Don't worry, I think the saints would understand.
Merry Christmas!!

Now I see which church.
This must be the one. The camino shell must be on the wall where I drew the red circle. Google didn't pass in the street in front of the church. I have to check.
And if someone is one day in Brussels during the lunch break or may be at the weekend, we can do the Brussels camino together.
Put dots in the blank spaces to contact me.
gunnar walgraeve@belgacom be

bxl-olivetenhof.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So now I'm thinking of a "pub pilgrimage." Don't worry, I think the saints would understand.
Merry Christmas!!

Ah HA! I've got it. How about a three - five day "Camino Lite from Bergen Op Den Zoom" (NL) through Antwerp to Brussels following and documenting all the markers (not the trail maps - that would be too easy)? It would be sort of a scavenger hunt to locate and document all the brass scallop shells in the pavement, GR markings, and assorted signs posted along that section of The Way.

With three days to walk about 70 Km over mostly flat terrain, it could also be a relaxed pub crawl. We could consider it field research for bringing the low country Caminos to greater significance.

But given the weather in that part of the world, I recommend a summer time frame. It never gets too hot, and there is always a brasserie nearby.:)

I AM serious about this. I do my long-distance Caminos in the spring and autumn. But this is something different and likely best done over the summer months.

But, still, I am just thinking out loud...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For me it's perfect. To get there from Belgium: at least the train till ESSEN before the border and do a pre-camino of +/- 10km?
Summer (july-august) is perfect.

Gunnar: Instead of getting off at Essen, could we not connect at Roosendaal and ride (connecting local train) to the starting point of r via Branantius in Bergen op den Zoom? I hope I remembered all the spelling. It's been a few years since I was last there. I used to live in Brasschaat.

Good idea but If my experience of the Belgian cafe in my home town and visits accross the Channel are anything to go by a Camino Lite could easily turn into a Camino Heavy Hangover. Those monks sure know how to brew strong grog.

GREAT!
I am in too - I live in Brussels.
During summer or even in winter : 3 years ago, I walked on a 1st and 2nd January in the snow (between Namur and Dinant) and it was just great!

Yes, and I stayed in the monastery of Leffe - but just water and no beer in the house...

@ Gunnar: weird the scallop in the wrong direction. Weird or Belgian?

Yes, I remember reading about your escapades Fatma!

I would love to join in but I will most likely be in Spain walking the Levante in July/August.

A little pre-Camino training would be welcome though. How about in May (we have quite a few long week-ends) or June (weather is so unpredictable in these parts anyway)?

We might need to start a mail conversation I'd say - and "doodle" a date.

Interesting will be the language shared - until now we are Dutch-, English- and German speaking.
I personally wouldn't mind at all improve my NL...

Haha!
Sabine, here we go!

And LTfit, of course we could speak French (I am pretty sure both Sabine and Gunnar speak it as well as I do), but I am one of these few Germanspeaking fellows of this curious country - you should thus rather practice your HOCHDEUTSCH with me ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, now I understand. I had been wondering where the German was coming from. Sorry but that is one language not on my list. I have enough trouble dealing with French, Spanish, Dutch and English:).

Good idea but If my experience of the Belgian cafe in my home town and visits accross the Channel are anything to go by a Camino Lite could easily turn into a Camino Heavy Hangover. Those monks sure know how to brew strong grog.

Yes, and that is why the Abbey Ales are frequently referred to as "Lunch in a bucket." They can be very filling, not too mention having a high alcohol content.;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha!
Sabine, here we go!

And LTfit, of course we could speak French (I am pretty sure both Sabine and Gunnar speak it as well as I do), but I am one of these few Germanspeaking fellows of this curious country - you should thus rather practice your HOCHDEUTSCH with me ;)

Oh gosh, being the colonial who speaks but a smattering of French and Dutch and even less German, I will do what my Italian heritage compels me to do - I will pantomime with my hands...;)

But seriously, we will manage...we WILL persevere. Remember the Camino provides and St., James works in really strange ways sometimes.

Hello all,
Next week I will meet a colleague at work who already did Bergen-Op-Zoom - Brussels in different stages. So I will have an idea where are the opportunities. When I have the info, I will come back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, you guys are seriously thinking about a "Pub Pilgrimage"? Centered around Brussels?? Hmmm. I could get into that. Although I thought I saw enough "Pis" on the Camino, if you catch my drift.
Let the puns begin.

Camino Pis? Never heard of that statue. There's Mannekin Pis, Jeanneke Pis and Zinneke Pis. What's with all the pis?

Camino Pis? Never heard of that statue. There's Mannekin Pis, Jeanneke Pis and Zinneke Pis. What's with all the pis?
I can think of a few places on the CF where there should be a statue! Just thinking about it brings a certain . . . aroma . . . to my nose.
:eek:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1387459745.789138.jpg

Here the (2nd) scallop with sculpture.

ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1387459790.654451.jpg

And here the Belgian curiosity - scallop pointing to the entrance of a chocolate shop...

(Gunnar, I made this morning Leuvense Weg till Rue Royale - I didn't see a scallop towards Liege/Luik, and they guided me towards the Grand'Place ... The one you were talking about must be another one thus)

Last edited:
Hello Fatma,
Meanwhile, I already saw how the GR from Antwerpen goes into Brussels. And you are right. It comes from the North, in fact from the Atomium, and it makes a kind of curve at the boarder between 1000-Brussels and 1210-St-Josse-Ten-Noode. So it enters 1000-Brussels on the Leuvenseweg, the way you followed. Did you notice other shells on your way?
Your second picture is the first picture I took on top of this thread (for the readers who doesn't know Brussels)
It points to the chocolate shop, so this make sense. At least, the owner must give you a chocolate sello on your credencial. TO TRY OUT!
It's also the best maintained shell marker. Look how it shines.
Meanwhile, I found 2 others after the Grand Place. There is one on the other side of the road of my last picture in thread#1. But it's not visible/accessible with the pending works. It points to the right, to the Bowling centre.

Mmm, I never tried to follow them more than that - but I might soon have a closer look on all that (I'll tell you)

Until then : merry Christmas to all of you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In BXL at Porte de Hal there is also a menhir to mark the start of the cammino out of the city

If we are talking about July or later during 2014, count me in. However, I will be re-doing the Camino Frances from late April through the end of May with particular emphasis on covering those sections of the route I was compelled to bus or taxi over due to foot problems. THIS TIME, I will see the podiatrist (foot doctor) BEFORE I leave.

Plus, I volunteered to serve as an AMIGO at the pilgrim office at Santiago for the month of June. They will not make selections until February 2014. If I am selected, I will be in Spain from the end of April through the beginning of July. I suppose my family would like me to return home to see them for a bit in July. ;)

So, I am projecting that mid-to-late August actually works the best for me. I could fly back to Brussels. But, if everyone else needs to do it at another time, just have at it. I do not want to spoil it for others. Although it would be a hoot and a half to have a sizable "peloton."

My notion is that we either all meet at a train station in Brussels or Antwerp on a given date and or time, on our way up to the NL. Or, we could all just meet at the train station in Roosendaal for the local (NL) connection to Bergen Op Zoom. Finally, we could make our way independently to Bergen Op Zoom and plan to meet in front of the main church (now Protestant I think but) originally Catholic in medieval times , Sint-Getrudischruch just off the Grote Maarkt We would then bless our endeavors with beer and start the next morning... :) I assume the route starts at Sint-Getrudischruch. Someone local needs to confirm this.

This could work out great! The "Camino Pils" portion of the Via Brabantica... Starts at Bergen Op Zoom and ends at Nivelles, in Wallonia, just south of Brussels. Should we custom design a patch that reads "I "walked" the Camino Pils, with perhaps a beer stein or glass with a scallop shell on it as a logo? I am just thinking...

See this map. Look for the Via Brabantica: http://www.compostelagenootschap.be/article.aspx?id=512

Also, see this link for more information: http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/brabantica.html

But, I suspect THIS is the link, and guide book we want. http://www.st-jacques.be/spip.php?article340 So, how long to do 158 Km, on mostly flat ground from Bergen Op Zoom to Nivelles, allowing for late starts due to beery nights before? I wonder if we can end this segment at an abbey brewery? That would be über cool.

As regards language, I would simply poll all the folks who demonstrate an interest after a date, starting and ending point are set. Simply ask what language they can hold at least a basic conversation in.

If there is a common denominator language - like if everyone speaks at least level-one (tourist) French, we go with that. If it is English, so be it.

I can go with whatever the group decides, almost. While a native English speaker -sort of (US). I can handle Nederlands and Francais okay - at a basic level - I have not yet learned to swear well, but I can speak to my 4-year old Vlaams nephew. But I do a mean pantomime - as I am of Italian heritage and use my hands in every language I speak even barely - even Thai.

Happy New Year to all!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take into consideration that there is alot of roadwalking too.... Antwerp city centre has a beautiful refugio/ albergue.
And please beware that belgian beers are strong. Take it easy !

Take into consideration that there is alot of roadwalking too.... Antwerp city centre has a beautiful refugio/ albergue.
And please beware that belgian beers are strong. Take it easy !
Sabine, I just watched the television report you put out in 2011 of the Belgian journalist who went from Brussels to Santiago. I thought it was short but sweet.

Has anyone here actually walked any of these routes for any length of time? More than a day or two or a weekend? I like the map posted earlier of some of the routes in Belgium and NL. I ran into many pilgrims on the CF from NL, mostly cyclists, so I know it's possible. Is it like the CF, where you get your credencial stamped in order to stay in "gite/albergues/whatever-they-are-called-in-the-local-language" for a small amount of change?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone here actually walked any of these routes for any length of time? More than a day or two or a weekend? I like the map posted earlier of some of the routes in Belgium and NL. I ran into many pilgrims on the CF from NL, mostly cyclists, so I know it's possible. Is it like the CF, where you get your credencial stamped in order to stay in "gite/albergues/whatever-they-are-called-in-the-local-language" for a small amount of change?

There is lodging ( private places, mostly belgian pilgrims who are with the fraternity and want to give something back ), some youthostels and some cloisters and abbays. But longer distances ( like in France ) to cover. Getting a stamp is nowhere a problem....local townhalls, police, pharmacies, libraries....etc...

For the moment I'm reading the book GR12 from Bergen Op Zoom - Braine le Chateau
It's edition 2002. I heard the path is actually the same today.
The path is long because it makes a lot of zigzags.
From Bergen Op Zoom till Antwerpen-Rivierenhof = 62,6km
Antwerpen Rivierenhof is not the centre of Antwerpen. The cathedral should be 6-8 km away from it.
From Antwerpen-Rivierenhof - Lier till Mechelen Vrijbroekpark is 59,8km. This is the center of Mechelen.
From Mechelen Vrijbroekpark till Brussel Grote Markt is 26,3 + 9,1 = 35,4km
Total till Brussels centre = 98km.

I don't like the idea of beer&camino.

For the moment I'm reading the book GR12 from Bergen Op Zoom - Braine le Chateau
It's edition 2002. I heard the path is actually the same today.
The path is long because it makes a lot of zigzags.
From Bergen Op Zoom till Antwerpen-Rivierenhof = 62,6km
Antwerpen Rivierenhof is not the centre of Antwerpen. The cathedral should be 6-8 km away from it.
From Antwerpen-Rivierenhof - Lier till Mechelen Vrijbroekpark is 59,8km. This is the center of Mechelen.
From Mechelen Vrijbroekpark till Brussel Grote Markt is 26,3 + 9,1 = 35,4km
Total till Brussels centre = 98km.

I don't like the idea of beer&camino.

Is this guide in English? The path you describe sounds very doable.
Beer was my beverage of choice on the CF. Cheap, available, very thirst quenching and hydrating. I don't recommend doing any Camino with a buzz on.:rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like the idea of some days of common 'belgo-belge' camino. Beer is definitely the 'after-camino-drink', either in Belgium or abroad.
I don't think the common idea is to drink but to walk.
Am I wrong?

I like the idea of some days of common 'belgo-belge' camino. Beer is definitely the 'after-camino-drink', either in Belgium or abroad.
Am I wrong?

When in moderation, then all is good! Unless it is planning your next Camino : that has to be done in abundance...;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Am I wrong?

First we walk a proper a number of kilometers each day. One must work up a proper thirst. Then we drink. First things first.:)

I am all for the walking, drinking is of course optional!
I never liked beer but during my summer on the Vía de la Plata I was introduced to Clara con limón. It has now become an afternoon treat after completing my day's walk in hot weather.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am all for the walking, drinking is of course optional!
I never liked beer but during my summer on the Vía de la Plata I was introduced to Clara con limón. It has now become an afternoon treat after completing my day's walk in hot weather.
:)

Hello,
I found this very interesting leaflet. It's available in The Sint Gorikshallen (www.sintgorikshallen.be) for free. Just enter the building between 10:00 and 18:00, walk over the cafe part and at the end, you will see a desk. The brochures are standing in front of the desk, some left, some right. It's part of a bunch of leaflets, all with historical walks in Brussels that are very interesting and all leaflets are for free. If the Santiago de Compostela brochure is not available (like in my case), ask the lady and she will search others.

Where are the Sint Gorikshallen/Halles St.-Géry? FatmaG will certainly know and will certainly go there one of these days :)
Sint-Goriksplein 23, 1000 BRUSSEL. It's close to the Beurs/Bourse, at the other side of the Boulevard.

Now looking to the map, I made the mistake to walk (see post #1) directly from the Grand Place to "6" Manneken Pis. I noticed at the other side of the Grand Place (close to the Bancontact (ATM)) another shell at "4". The camino passes by the Police station and goes to the O.L.V. van Goede Bijstandskerk, "5" on the map. See the picture of this church on post #26.

I only scanned 25% of the brochure. So there is much more to read.

brussel-santiago-wandeling.jpg

Last edited:
The split of the camino at the O.L.V. van Goede Bijstandskerk, ("5" on the previous map) is marked with a double shell on the ground. It's placed somewhere at the picture on post #26 where the text "Report a problem" is written. I just looked again in Google StreetView and the shells are not there. It seems that the Google car passed there (2009) before the shells were placed.

I entered the church and noticed a wooden statue of Santiago in front, a little bit to the right. It's a gift from the Flemisch association Compostelagenootschap. Also in the entrance door, there is a shell carved in the wood.
I didn't have my camera with me, other wise I could post some pictures.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

If you like the citrus taste in your beer, try Hoegaarden, the Belgian wheat ale. It is made with orange and coriander and has a decidedly citrus taste. In the States, we also have a Belgian style wheat beer called Blue Moon. It is the closest thing to Hoegaarden in the domestic market.

Here is Hoegaaren's web page: http://hoegaarden.com/

Weird is good too! :)

But if we are going to make a detour / omlegging for the Manneken Pis, we must also do the same for the Jeanneke Pis on the Impasse de la Fidélité / Getrouwheidsgang (Fidelity Alley), located just off the Rue des Bouchers / Beenhouwersstraat. After all, fair is fair...;)

I am going to seriously have to figure out how to get a map of all this. o_O
OK, Forum friends. I have a son who lives near Mons. I'm in Stuttgart. Any suggestions for a no-less-than-one-week-no-more-than-two walk in Benelux?? Probably in the Spring (April? May? June?). I'd like to start north and work my way south. I plan to carry everything and stay at the least expensive places possible (ala albergues).
I guess the first thing I need is an approximate starting point.

I am going to seriously have to figure out how to get a map of all this. o_O
OK, Forum friends. I have a son who lives near Mons. I'm in Stuttgart. Any suggestions for a no-less-than-one-week-no-more-than-two walk in Benelux?? Probably in the Spring (April? May? June?). I'd like to start north and work my way south. I plan to carry everything and stay at the least expensive places possible (ala albergues).
I guess the first thing I need is an approximate starting point.

Starting in Aachen would be nice , then to Maastricht, Tongeren , all on the old Roman roads and then further from Tongeren to Waremme and Namur ....

Starting in Aachen would be nice , then to Maastricht, Tongeren , all on the old Roman roads and then further from Tongeren to Waremme and Namur ....
Sabine, thanks for this advice. I'm going to get a map and start working on this route. I may ask my son to look for that brochure mentioned in post #68. Would that be along this route? Also, I'm thinking of getting that map book in Dutch mentioned in #59. If it has enough maps, I should be able to figure it out - do you think it would help?

Kathy,

No the route I was thinking of is more to the south. Start in Germany in Aachen, GR to Maastricht ( Holland ) then Tongeren ( Belgium ) and from there a part on the Via Limburgica and then the Via Monastica to Namur ....the small booklets for those two routes can be bought at the flemish confraternity of Compostela

€83,-
Oh, my! This is really good. Thanks Sabine, thanks Flemish Confraternity, and thanks Google Translate (first time their translations ever made sense)!!

Oh, my! This is really good. Thanks Sabine, thanks Flemish Confraternity, and thanks Google Translate (first time their translations ever made sense)!!

Ha, good to hear about google translate... my personal dutch blog came out really funky when translated...;-)

That doesn't surprise me Fatma. It took a Spanish friend of mine and long time Camino aficionada (has been walking the Camino since 1993) 2 years to notice a yellow arrow by her house. She lives on the Camino de Madrid! I guess that we 'see' things when we are ready.
Now when she longs for the Camino she visits a mojón within walking distance from her house. When I visited last time she took me to it. We have nick named it 'Gema's mojón'.

Hi Guys (and girls),

Great thread here. Have you all already been camino pubbing?

I've been thinking about walking the camino from home, which is about 40km north of Bergen op Zoom.

I want to walk from home to Sjpp, but in stages. Cant vanish for six weeks of all of the time :)

The first stage i would like to do is home -> Paris, via Antwerpen and Brussels, but i can't seem to find the information i need. Following the GR12 is too long, i would like a more direct route like Bergen op zoom, Antwerpen , Brussels, St Quentin, Paris.

Now i can find some (Dutch, my French is AWFULL) info to walk to Brussels and also to walk from St quentin to Paris, but nothing to walk from Brussels to St Quentin.

Does anybody here have any ideas on how to walk?

I can't even seem to figure out how long the route that i want to take is, in Kms or how long it would take me to walk it. I don't like walking very short days. So minimum 25km a day, maximum 40 (50 can happen on a nice day).

Back to Brussels. I was also fascinated to find scallop shells there. And there is a delightful little church that has a statue of St James in it. This church is well known to the local homeless people because the priest always leaves the door unlocked so they can use the toilet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Dutch:

Try one or both of these resources:

The Dutch Society of St. Jacob - https://www.santiago.nl/

The Vlaams Compostelagenootchsap - http://www.compostelagenootschap.be/

Both web sites are in Nederlands...

I still have not done this route, but it is on my "to do" list.

I hope this helps.

Hi t2andreo,

Thnx for the reply.

Yep, did find those sites. Unfortunately not all the info i would like is on it, as far as i can tell. The walk from Brussels to st quentin is still very unclear. I guess i'll just have to figure it/something out myself :)

Might be a long walk then haha

Hi t2andreo,

Thnx for the reply.

Yep, did find those sites. Unfortunately not all the info i would like is on it, as far as i can tell. The walk from Brussels to st quentin is still very unclear. I guess i'll just have to figure it/something out myself :)

Might be a long walk then haha

Dutch:

Of course it will be a long walk. That is the general idea. Short walks are for "wusses." A pilgrim goes the distance, just because it is there. Once I get started, I cannot stop. I do each day, because I must rest, but the journey IS the destination for me.

One more idea, once you get near the Belgium - France border, I believe the France-wide network of Grand Randonee routes (GR) take over and the route marking are generally excellant. Try these French sites:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/-Bibliographie-sur-le-theme-du-.html

http://idf.ffrandonnee.fr/708/html/le-gr-655.aspx (this is the GR 655, Brussels to Santiago route)

I use Google Translate within my Chrome browser to automatically translate for me. I can read French and Dutch quite well without it, but the Translate Extension is fabulous for Spanish and all other languages.

I hope this helps.

Dutch:

Of course it will be a long walk. That is the general idea. Short walks are for "wusses." A pilgrim goes the distance, just because it is there. Once I get started, I cannot stop. I do each day, because I must rest, but the journey IS the destination for me.

One more idea, once you get near the Belgium - France border, I believe the France-wide network of Grand Randonee routes (GR) take over and the route marking are generally excellant. Try these French sites:

http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/-Bibliographie-sur-le-theme-du-.html

http://idf.ffrandonnee.fr/708/html/le-gr-655.aspx (this is the GR 655, Brussels to Santiago route)

I use Google Translate within my Chrome browser to automatically translate for me. I can read French and Dutch quite well without it, but the Translate Extension is fabulous for Spanish and all other languages.

I hope this helps.

I know its a long walk and i love the long walks as much as you do probably :)

I did find a path (a combination of GR's) from Amsterdam to Paris, but this one seem to make some sort of a 'sightseeing' detour through parts of belgium. I just want to take a more direct route to Paris. I will have a look at the sites you mentioned, WITH google translate of course :)
If only something like that existed for books :) that would be very handy on the way. Taking a French guidebook when your french is not up to par is not the best idea haha

Thnx again

I find that "please," "thank you," and "good morning / afternoon / evening" accompanied by a smile go a long way in any foreign language. Of course these basic phrases are followed by the ability to order beer, followed by the capability to ask where the toilets are. ;)

I've been enjoying all these posts very much. I do wish we had scallop markers here, though, to scavage for. There is a bronze arrow leading to the Brooklyn Bridge, looking vaguely like it could have been found on the camino. There is also an extremely odd scallop shell plaque on the wall of the first rest area north of NYC on the New York Thruway. I couldn't see any reason why it was there, just at eye level, and there are no others that I saw, or any other plaques. I'll take a picture of it next time I'm driving by. It was most peculiar! I almost thought I was hallucinating it!

€60,-
How do you plan to walk? I am thinking of walking via Paris.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What I have in mind is preparing for doing a week in Spain in May. I just need some training companions and a schedule in Brussels.

Good luck Margaret! Unfortunately I live in Limburg otherwise I would be more than happy to do some training with you

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.