• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Camino in Lourdes April 2010

Lucas05

I plan to start at Lourdes in early April 2010 , and continue on to St Jean Pied de Port . Are there refugios/albergues in between ? Can I get a credential at Lourdes ? Many Thanks , Lucas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Lucas
I walked from Lourdes through St JPDP last September. I am away from home at the moment and haven't got immediate access to information, but yes there are refugios along the way - not many but very nice and simple. I thought it was a wonderful and enjoyable 6 days to St Jean. VERY few walkers, just four or five of us who met up most evenings. Throughout the walking day never met anyone. Quite a shock to turn the corner for the final approach to St Jean and meet the crowds. Big crowds!! I used that website that was recommended:it has all you need, though I also had a French guidebook to the "Piedmot Route" which I abandoned in St Jean. I can probably find the details for you. The path is very well signposted but much more subtly than it is along the Camino Frances in Spain so you need to keep your eyes open!!
Yes you can get a credencial in the main information centre just inside the St Joseph gate inside the "domain" at Lourdes. I didn't get one myself, but I know they had them for either one or two euros and they were very friendly!
I will contact you when I get my old information
Buen Camino
Tim Redmond (from Liverpool. Currently in Berkeley California)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lucas,
Another useful site is this one: http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-etapes.php3

It is in French, but if you click on etapes 18-22 on the sidebar, you will end up seeing maps of stages on the route from Lourdes to SJPP. There are also altitude charts, and some beautiful photos shown for each stage.
Margaret

I walked from Lourdes to Oloron St Marie before turning south to the Somport Pass.

From Lourdes we walked to Asson which has pilgrim accommodation: Accueil Saint Jacques, 3, rue des Pyrénées , Asson Tél : 05 5 71 04 83 Sleeps 4 Prix : 10 € / nuit - Best to phone and book ahead.

In Arudy we stayed with the wonderful parish priest PIERRE SALLENAVE: Accueil paroissial au Presbytère 2 rue Baulong, 64260 Arudy : Accommodation 8 persons + shower + kitchen + possibility of meals in advance: Email a reservation: pierrs@orange.fr

Oloron St Marie has pilgrim accommodation: Relais du Bastet, 12, place de la RĂ©sistance
Tel. 06 77 19 82 85 12,50 € per night 2€ for sheets. http://www.relaisdubastet.fr

Thanks so much , info is hard to get at times . I did my first Camino in 2000 from SJPDP , and saw Lourdes in '06 .
My journey will start with Easter Sunday Mass in St.Peters Rome then on to the South of France.I am so looking forward to combining the two , Camino + Lourdes , plus making the journey to Fatima after Santiago.
Thank you all for your info and support .
Buen Camino
Lucas .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lucas
Alas, the way out of Lourdes is not that apropriate waymarked, nearby the Grotte, that is.
But it isn't hard to find either.
Just pass the Grotte, and keep on walking alongside the river.
You'll find a your first waymark in the woods after a few miles.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Carli, we missed the markers when we walked last year and only stopped 4km up the hill above Lourdes! It was very pretty but it made for a long first day!

When you exit the sanctuary - on the opposite end to the town - turn left up the hill, away from the river, but turn right at the Camping site. The path takes you through the camping and down to the river which you then follow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Falcon, I tried to find the two villages we walked to - Omex and Segus - on the map but I can't find them. Perhaps they were further than 4km from Lourdes.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back