• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Camino Madrid

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Start the Madrid on May 3rd. Buen Camino

Hey, Fellow Aussie. Do you have a Guide book for the Madrid. I have two... if we can find a way to get it to you before you travel. I'm just North of Brisbane
Oh, that would be amazing. I will try to message you. Thanks a million

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No marking was poor we used Google map to Tres cantos and we eventually got the the yellow arrows and all was good
The marking doesn’t really get going until you are outside the city. I downloaded Mapy.cz and its map has a track for the Camino. Super useful! I was glad I had it. Started today!

I’m walking this route in Sept. Can you please tell me where are you staying in Tres Cantos? In the Acogida en la Parroquia or Hostal Tres Cantos? How was it and did you book beforehand?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m walking this route in Sept. Can you please tell me where are you staying in Tres Cantos? In the Acogida en la Parroquia or Hostal Tres Cantos? How was it and did you book beforehand?

Only option when I walked in February three years ago was the Jardín. Overpriced for what it is; but Tres Cantos is a purpose built tech location, well connected to Madrid by train. If I did it again I’d shuttle back and forth to Madrid on the train.

I have booked at the Parroquia. I understand it is very basic and no showers, but I am on a budget too. I just sent them an email.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I thought 'the place to stay ‘ there was at Rayyrosa!
ML reported somewhere that Ray and Rosa had a family issue come up, so she had to find an alternative. It’s good to know this is an affordable and acceptable option, because things got very expensive in Manzanares when the albergue up on the top of the rock closed. Now that was a glorious albergue, but the church somehow wiggled out of their commitment to let pilgrims stay there in exchange for accepting public money for renovations. But I digress….

I stayed at the Acogida Parroquial Santa Teresa de Jesus. My positive review is on Gronze. There's a washroom, but no shower.
I managed to confirm by phone that I was coming, about 4 days in advance. Antonio was the guy running the church office. He's in and out all day so pot luck when you get through on the phone - just keep on trying. From about 5pm the premises got really busy in preparation for the evening mass (a much younger and more family-oriented congregation than you often find on the camino). So I would try earlier in the day.
It's a wonderful modern church in what my untrained eye would describe as a Latin American style! There are shops and restaurants about 5-10 mins walk up the hill at the top of Calle de la Iglesia. This includes on the right at the junction the Cafeteria San Bernabé (open early) where they provide those over-size croissantes that set you up for a good day's walk.
For Manzanares, the whole Rayyrosa procedure, where you arrange to get picked up and taken to an unpublished location is not my kind of thing at all. So I was happy to stay at La Pedriza. The place gets overrun at weekends and on public holidays with weekend trippers up from Madrid, but I quite liked that. It's run as a family business with food being served all day. I was well looked after despite it being really busy. If you book on their own website you get a free breakfast.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Acogida Parroquial Santa Teresa de Jesus. My positive review is on Gronze. There's a washroom, but no shower.
I managed to confirm by phone that I was coming, about 4 days in advance. Antonio was the guy running the church office. He's in and out all day so pot luck when you get through on the phone - just keep on trying. From about 5pm the premises got really busy in preparation for the evening mass (a much younger and more family-oriented congregation than you often find on the camino). So I would try earlier in the day.
It's a wonderful modern church in what my untrained eye would describe as a Latin American style! There are shops and restaurants about 5-10 mins walk up the hill at the top of Calle de la Iglesia. This includes on the right at the junction the Cafeteria San Bernabé (open early) where they provide those over-size croissantes that set you up for a good day's walk.
For Manzanares, the whole Rayyrosa procedure, where you arrange to get picked up and taken to an unpublished location is not my kind of thing at all. So I was happy to stay at La Pedriza. The place gets overrun at weekends and on public holidays with weekend trippers up from Madrid, but I quite liked that. It's run as a family business with food being served all day. I was well looked after despite it being really busy. If you book on their own website you get a free breakfast.
I stayed at the VP Tres Cantos which turned out to be a screaming bargain…best beds on my Camino de Madrid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I arrived around 3pm in Madrid, saw on Google the church of Santiago opens from 6 or 7 when I finally found the church the notice says they open only 11-1pm everyday, so tmr I will need to go again to get my pilgrim passport and 1st stamp and start the Camino Madrid much later than I expected

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I arrived around 3pm in Madrid, saw on Google the church of Santiago opens from 6 or 7 when I finally found the church the notice says they open only 11-1pm everyday, so tmr I will need to go again to get my pilgrim passport and 1st stamp and start the Camino Madrid much later than I expected

Hi Jack --- is that sign from the right church? Here is a sign, of church opening times. I took the photo in April at the church where I picked up my credencial:

90A80448-167D-4C78-9303-A09D6DD2DCF4_1_102_a.jpeg

Buen camino!
ml

Sorry @JackT, I think @mla1 is correct, that looks like the wrong church. The Royal Church of St. James and St. John the Baptist is in a different part of town (Calle Santiago 24) than Our Lady of Montserrat. I picked up my credential on a Friday after evening mass.

Last edited:
Here is a Google Maps reference for the church
Royal Church of Saint James and Saint John the Baptist
915 48 08 24

Even with this, I found it confusing to find the church three days ago because from street level it doesn't look like a church.

I circled the block looking for a church like building and finally spotted a robed figure going through a door, had a close look and there it was.

I got there just before they closed at 13:00 and rushed a little and tripped on the stone step up into the back room where they issue the credentials. This had me announce my entry with a stir.

I then got the third degree from the guy that was free. Don't forget your passport!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is a Google Maps reference for the church
Royal Church of Saint James and Saint John the Baptist
915 48 08 24

Even with this, I found it confusing to find the church three days ago because from street level it doesn't look like a church.

I circled the block looking for a church like building and finally spotted a robed figure going through a door, had a close look and there it was.

I got there just before they closed at 13:00 and rushed a little and tripped on the stone step up into the back room where they issue the credentials. This had me announce my entry with a stir.

I then got the third degree from the guy that was free. Don't forget your passport!
I googled wrong I think, I googled inglésia De Santiago and send me off to a convent

Found it this morning, very confusing, was also trying to look for a spire that’s usually on top of a church

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I’m staying in Alcobendas for my first night, weekend, everything in Tres Cantos if either booked up or very pricey, tmr get to Tres Cantos and walk to Manzanares where I prebooked to be safe at Hostel La Pedriza

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just had a quick read through these posts and I am not sure which is the correct church for the start of Camino Madrid. Can someone please confirm?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just had a quick read through these posts and I am not sure which is the correct church for the start of Camino Madrid. Can someone please confirm?

La iglesia de Santiago y San Juan Bautista.

La iglesia de Santiago y San Juan Bautista.

If you arrive during a service, like I did, and stay for the service instead of heading straight to the back, the priest calls up pilgrims and does a very nice pilgrims blessing. A great way to start your Camino! At least, he did on Monday when I visited and found a service underway. There was another pilgrim and I who went up and received the blessing. Two others missed it because they had already gone to the back to get credencials and stamps.

You will overtake me as I am much slower than expected this time around. I met Jack last night, nice guy.
Hey D, I’m staying at the Municipal albergue in Los Huertos, Albergue Virgin tonight then move onto another municipal albergue after Santa Maria. Buen camino
You will overtake me as I am much slower than expected this time around. I met Jack last night, nice guy.
hey

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back