• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Camino Norte...

Esaunders

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to work the Camino Norte September 2016
Hi fellow pilgrims!
I'm going to begin walking the Camino Norte to Santiago around 25th September and am having a few last minute anxieties that I was hoping you guys could advise on...
#1) Do you think I will have trouble staying in the pilgrim albergues going so late in the season, will they be closed? This is my main concern!
#2) still debating walking in my trusty hike boots (well broken in) or getting some lighter trail running shoes instead, any advice?
#3) Lastly can anyone give me any advice as to whether a silk sleep sheet will suffice for the albergues this late in the season-I want to pack as light as possible!

Thank you in advance! And anyone walking around the same time feel free to drop me a message!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,
1. Albergues won't be a problem.....its not that late in the season. I assume all albergues will at least be open until end October. Stay in Pilgrim albergue in Irun, you will get information there.
2. I recommend boots as when I walked the Norte one section was really muddy due to heavy rain. There is quite a bit of road walking also on Norte so shoes might be ok. As you normally use boots I would say stick with them!
3. I would advise a lightweight down sleeping bag, you will be walking well into October so colder weather possible.
Wishing you a buen camino:)

I walked the Norte in late September in 2014.
1. Albergues (and everything else) were all open.
2. I would also advise the well worn boots.
3. I took only sleep sac + small light fleece throw blanket. I would rather sleep in clothes,if necessary, for one or two nights than carry a sleeping bag every day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
#1) Do you think I will have trouble staying in the pilgrim albergues going so late in the season, will they be closed? This is my main concern!

The biggest albergue issues will be in the first week, as several municipal albergues in that area (like San Sebastián, Zarautz, and Portugalete) are open July-August only. However, there are plenty of alternatives. Most other albergues are open until the end of October. Keep in mind, though, that should you get into trouble with albergues, you can often find very cheap hotel rates on the coast that time of year. Even in the summer this year, I routinely found single rooms for 20-25 euros when the albergues were full. More than an albergue bed, obviously, but it won't break the bank.

#3) Lastly can anyone give me any advice as to whether a silk sleep sheet will suffice for the albergues this late in the season-I want to pack as light as possible!

You likely won't die of hypothermia if you don't have a sleeping bag.

However, anyone can be uncomfortable whilst on the camino.

Albergues typically don't have heat on all night ... and usually, when it is really cold, its just enough to keep pipes from freezing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No problems with albergues,
Buy lighter shoes @ Oviedo
Silk liner adequate.

Hi,
1. Albergues won't be a problem.....its not that late in the season. I assume all albergues will at least be open until end October. Stay in Pilgrim albergue in Irun, you will get information there.
2. I recommend boots as when I walked the Norte one section was really muddy due to heavy rain. There is quite a bit of road walking also on Norte so shoes might be ok. As you normally use boots I would say stick with them!
3. I would advise a lightweight down sleeping bag, you will be walking well into October so colder weather possible.
Wishing you a buen camino:)

Thank you so much!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
IMO, albergues will be open...but sometimes distances require hotel/pension anyway. DEFINITELY IMO, boots over trail shoes, doubly so for broken in vs new. Triple if they are waterproof. I always vote for sleeping bag, but I sleep cold. You should definitely find out expected nighttime lows for your travel dates, adjust your home temp to that, then try sleeping in the clothes you plan to bring to give you an idea of how much warmth you can have. Expect your bunk mates to insist on windows open, sun, rain, snow, or howling winds.

Hi Esaunders,
My three friends and myself are starting our camino journey from St Jean on the 25th september. You have asked questions we have been wondering about as well.
Your post has helped in our plans. I think I will be taking my lightweight sleeping bag as well as my boots.
Might see you there.
Buen Camino.

Hi Esaunders,
My three friends and myself are starting our camino journey from St Jean on the 25th september. You have asked questions we have been wondering about as well.
Your post has helped in our plans. I think I will be taking my lightweight sleeping bag as well as my boots.
Might see you there.
Buen Camino.
Great! I might see you on the camino! I think im am seetled on my trusty boots and a lightweight sleeping bag! And the reassurance that places are still open has been great! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! We are also walking the Camino del Norte, but we'll start in Bordeaux, it was a spontaneous descision, so we're a tight on preparations. But I was wondering if it's possible to get a pilgrim badge in Irun, or a city nearby, as it's too late to order it online, or do we need to get it in St jean Pdp? We're leaving the 19th of september.

Hopefully someone can provide me with an answer,

Thanks in advance!

If by " a pilgrim badge " you mean the Credential/Pilgrim Passport you can obtain one in Irun at the Pilgrim Albergue located at Calle Lucas de Berroa, 18-1ºD.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Hello! We are also walking the Camino del Norte, but we'll start in Bordeaux, it was a spontaneous descision, so we're a tight on preparations. But I was wondering if it's possible to get a pilgrim badge in Irun, or a city nearby, as it's too late to order it online, or do we need to get it in St jean Pdp? We're leaving the 19th of september.

Hopefully someone can provide me with an answer,

Thanks in advance!

Don't get too carried away with this Badge or as Margaret has said a passport.
If they have none at the Cathedral in Bordeaux then buy a Cicerone Book or any other that you want on the Norte and whenever you stop get a stamp on the relevant page or in many cases the back section which sometimes is reserved for same.
When in Irun get the one you require.
Its only a record , before you finish there will be plenty of places for a credential passport to obtain for your certificate in Santiago.

Bordeaux is ok
Bidart [ Bayonne/Biarritz ] is also a lovely start .
Enjoy the Norte and remember ;
After all the walking....say 6 hours daily you deserve a very nice meal in a very nice restaurant in a very nice setting.
Some of the towns you are walking into are desired by many throughout the world for their food.....take advantage , you deserve it.
PS
If you went to a Gym for 6 hours each day , would you sit down and have a lovely meal when finished ??????
If you travel throughout do you sometimes just sit around and take in the villages beauty ????
Enjoy the conversations with your companions , without the normal interruptions that occur when home
The Norte is a lovely place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.