• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the CdelNorte late July, some questions

gemesikata

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2004), Camino del Norte (2016aug)
Dear Everyone,
I am new to the forum, but not totally new to the Camino concept (as I walked the Frances 12 years...OMG...12 yers ago).

This year I will walk the Norte starting in Irun, and have some questions.

1. I will walk mostly during August (starting in 3 weeks) . Is August considered to be busy season or a little bit quieter? (I mostly read people doing the Norte in July or many of them during the fall. Is here anyone who is planing to start in August?).

2. As many of the post writers seem to be VERY concerned about finding a place to sleep I have to ask: does it make ANY sense to bring a small tent with me (it weighs 2,2kg-s, so I have to think carefully). Is finding a bed really that big of a problem on this Camino? FYI: I will bring a sleeping bag, I have no problem sometimes take the floor or garden for sleeping, I am not high maintenance at all, I am travelling alone, so always looking for 1 bed only. The one thing I do not want to do is booking ahead, because that totally kills the essence of the Camino for me. Planning and scheduling is what I want to get away from. (And I am also very low-budgeted, so no motels/hotels for me) Should I be worried? Because I wasn't so far until I read this forum :)

3. My most comfortable shoes are my running shoes. Nothing compares whatever I try on. Is it possible to walk the route in running shoes?

That is all so far, if anyone would like to get involved with my problems, thank you for it. If not...well...I'll just wing it! :D

Ultreya!
Kata from Budapest

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Kata, I've walked part of the Norte in August. It's quite fun, with a 'holiday' atmosphere. This can be good in some respects, but also a couple of people said to me it's 'not very camino-like'. People do cheat a little bit on the Norte I observed, getting buses, etc. I did this once, and I would never have done it on the Frances. Just the holiday atmosphere makes you a bit blasé sometimes!

I did not walk long days, which made getting accommodation easier. There are beaches so if you do a short day - go for a swim. But if you are very driven, you might find this boring. As I say, it can all feel a bit 'un Camino like'.

Only once I had no proper bed to sleep in, and this was in a town where the pilgrims sleep in a sports hall which the community makes available. Sounds not so nice, but this sports centre had a swimming pool, mmmm! Nice! I carried a light Thermarest mat and a sleeping bag, which made me feel more secure, but as I said, only got used once. So I would say, risk it. Tent probably not needed, but to feel like you can sleep on the floor without a problem makes you feel better. You could also sign up for airbnb which might help in a pinch.

I can't see walking in running shoes would be a problem while you are on the coast, can't comment once you go inland and it gets hilly.

It's a fun experience.

Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Hi Kata, I've walked part of the Norte in August. It's quite fun, with a 'holiday' atmosphere. This can be good in some respects, but also a couple of people said to me it's 'not very camino-like'. People do cheat a little bit on the Norte I observed, getting buses, etc. I did this once, and I would never have done it on the Frances. Just the holiday atmosphere makes you a bit blasé sometimes!

I did not walk long days, which made getting accommodation easier. There are beaches so if you do a short day - go for a swim. But if you are very driven, you might find this boring. As I say, it can all feel a bit 'un Camino like'.

Only once I had no proper bed to sleep in, and this was in a town where the pilgrims sleep in a sports hall which the community makes available. Sounds not so nice, but this sports centre had a swimming pool, mmmm! Nice! I carried a light Thermarest mat and a sleeping bag, which made me feel more secure, but as I said, only got used once. So I would say, risk it. Tent probably not needed, but to feel like you can sleep on the floor without a problem makes you feel better. You could also sign up for airbnb which might help in a pinch.

I can't see walking in running shoes would be a problem while you are on the coast, can't comment once you go inland and it gets hilly.

It's a fun experience.

Enjoy it!

Thank you for your reply. It made me ease up! And fortunately as I had THE Camino experience 12 years ago I am not concerned about not being it Camino like, I am not looking necessarily for the same feeling. Something else again at least. It is all about fun and leisure for me, so short days of walking and beach afternoons! sounds perfect! thank you! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's good to have realistic expectations. In places it can be crowded with tourists. I did a kayak trip which was just awful, about 1,000 people kayaking at once, actually a bizarre spectacle. It did provide a moment of fun when I arrived at an auberge very late and looking rather damp and dishevelled, and the hospitalero asked how far I came that day, I said 'walked 20 km and kayaked 40'. Another day I got to a traditional inland auberge on a hilltop and was just desperate for a swim, and me and these two Basque blokes I met that moment looked up on Google Maps that there was a campsite 2km away with a big pool. We dashed down the hill, jumped around with inflatables with all the kids like lunatics and then reappeared at the pilgrim house 'all serious' for dinner. In high summer the Norte is more like crossing the Camino Frances with some kind of Gap Year.

Last edited:
About the shoes: there is a tremendous amount of asphalt, sometimes entire stages - especially after Bilbao. I wear running shoes so had no problems even when walking up to 40 km at a time.

I would tend to agree with the vacation atmosphere - less so in October when I walked Irún-Bilbao but I just finished the Bilbao-Ribadesella stretch (not yet high season) and there was definitely a difference. I have done many Caminos so it did not bother me. The scenery is just fabulous which makes up for all the asphalt.

Enjoy!

There's a much younger demographic in August than the rest of the year I think. Lots of people in their 20s who are cooped up in offices most of the time.

Maybe everyone becomes sensible when they turn inland. I don't know, I didn't get to that bit (yet).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for your reply. It made me ease up! And fortunately as I had THE Camino experience 12 years ago I am not concerned about not being it Camino like, I am not looking necessarily for the same feeling. Something else again at least. It is all about fun and leisure for me, so short days of walking and beach afternoons! sounds perfect! thank you! :)
There is no doubt in my mind that this will be very different from your last Camino but its beauty and quality food will delight you.

Do know that many of the albergues on that route are not just for "pilgrims" so getting a bed may be an issue unless you book ahead. Keep in mind that the Norte doesn't offer an albergue every 5 km like the Frances does, so booking ahead is not as limiting as it might be on the Frances because your next option may be 10 or 15km km away, if not more.

There are a few albergues that will provide you with tents (if others have not gotten them yet: Pobena & Castro Uriales come to mind) but many more don' have the land for you to set up a tent. Pobena even sends people to sleep under the church poarch when super filled!)

This route is for walkers, walked by walkers. But evenings offer an opportunity to connect again.

Regarding shoes, I just walked the Portuguese with Hoka One Ones and liked them, and walked theNorte and Primitivo in Salomon Gtx trail runners I also liked. Just don't forget to bring your walking sticks: there were places where I just would not have been able to do it without them.

Have a wonderful time.

Oh, food. End your day around 2pm and enjoy the menu del dia. Great deals for outstanding food. Then have a light snack in the evening. One of the Norte's best assets.

Hi Kata
I'm pretty much saying same thing as notion900. Did 2nd half of Norte in August 3 years ago and it was 'nice busy' rather than 'grim busy'. Lots of people from places like France, Italy and Spain walking the camino on their annual holidays and students from all over too. And yes, people skipping bits here and there, particularly if it was raining, using the bus or Feve. Lots of opportunities to swim and enjoy the coastal vibe, especially around La Isla and Tapia.
Tents seem to be more popular now but 2.2kg is far too heavy for something one person might use occasionally. A mat/thermarest (and maybe superlight bivy bag) should be enough for a dry warm night under the stars or an emergency. NB One time I tried to sleep on the beach at Ribadesella only to be scared out of my wits by the headlighted tractor that ploughs the beach sand back into place at 5 in the morning...
I've been carrying a Gatewood Cape as a shelter the last couple of years. With pegs, pole and a short foam mat it's about 600g. But I've only used it once and that was just for the fun of it. Remember that you can't take metal tent pegs in carry-on luggage on a plane, but plastic ones seem to be OK.
The bed squeeze certainly isn't as bad as it may first appear when you check the bed numbers along the way. Places like the albergue at Soto de Luina publish that they have 22 beds, but they've actually got another room the same size as the dormitory that they will open up and provide mats for if there are more than 22 pilgrims. Most places have some kind of strategy in place for when too many people show up.
cheers, tom
PS I really enjoyed staying at the albergue at St Vicente de la Barquera a few weeks ago - very simple (limited kitchen) but very relaxed and a wonderful location where on a nice evening you can sit on the high battlements beside the old church looking out over the water and the hills and contemplate your past and your future - if you so wish! It's donativo and the wonderful Sofia and team provide an excellent breakfast.

Tank you all for the help. I am a quite relaxed person (once I am on vacation) so I will not overthink it, but this few words put me at ease even more. At the end of the day the worst that can happen that I sleep on floors! :D The whole "holiday-beach-food" scenario sounds good to me. And YES...I will eat my way through the coast. As I am working at a cooking school in Budapest that is going to be the the GOAL! Thanks Everyone!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Everyone,
I am new to the forum, but not totally new to the Camino concept (as I walked the Frances 12 years...OMG...12 yers ago).

This year I will walk the Norte starting in Irun, and have some questions.

1. I will walk mostly during August (starting in 3 weeks) . Is August considered to be busy season or a little bit quieter? (I mostly read people doing the Norte in July or many of them during the fall. Is here anyone who is planing to start in August?).

2. As many of the post writers seem to be VERY concerned about finding a place to sleep I have to ask: does it make ANY sense to bring a small tent with me (it weighs 2,2kg-s, so I have to think carefully). Is finding a bed really that big of a problem on this Camino? FYI: I will bring a sleeping bag, I have no problem sometimes take the floor or garden for sleeping, I am not high maintenance at all, I am travelling alone, so always looking for 1 bed only. The one thing I do not want to do is booking ahead, because that totally kills the essence of the Camino for me. Planning and scheduling is what I want to get away from. (And I am also very low-budgeted, so no motels/hotels for me) Should I be worried? Because I wasn't so far until I read this forum :)

3. My most comfortable shoes are my running shoes. Nothing compares whatever I try on. Is it possible to walk the route in running shoes?

That is all so far, if anyone would like to get involved with my problems, thank you for it. If not...well...I'll just wing it! :D

Ultreya!
Kata from Budapest
Hallo Kata!!!
I did the Camino north last year,in July and it was not at all crowded.....I don't know if there is a difference in August but in general I think the north way is less crowded than the French . After Oviedo taking the primitivo way it was crowded at some places ( because many people just do the primtivo and start in Oviedo) but we used the tent that we had with us only one time because we had to and another because we wanted to.....we also didn't want to book ahead and we didn't have any problem finding a place to sleep.....so walk ,enjoy your way and everything will come as it should :)))
Also about your running shoes I had a friend on my first Camino that she walked in her running shoes and didn't have a single problem so if these shoes are comftable for you that s what matter :))))
Buen Camino!!!!!

PS I really enjoyed staying at the albergue at St Vicente de la Barquera a few weeks ago - very simple (limited kitchen) but very relaxed and a wonderful location where on a nice evening you can sit on the high battlements beside the old church looking out over the water and the hills and contemplate your past and your future - if you so wish! It's donativo and the wonderful Sofia and team provide an excellent breakfast.

That's interesting as I stayed there last week and they now charge 10 euros. They were quite apologetic but explained numerous times that they no longer receive assistance from the ayuntamiento. It was packed that day but accommodations okay. They leave out coffee, milk, galletas and bread, etc in the kitchen for breakfast which you can make yourself.

The Albergue Juvenil in Ribadesella was expensive at 19 euros but our room (2 bunkbeds) had a view of the ocean!!! The albergue is on the Camino on the way out of town but on the beach.

Another favorite was the little albergue at Castro Urdiales. The young Gambian hospitalero is a delight and keeps the kitchen filled with coffee, juice, tea, milk, galletas and cakes - all for a whopping 5 euros!

I am in San Sebastian now and went out this morning for a walk from one side of the coast to the other up to the exit of the Camino and I saw MANY youngsters! Numbers are for sure picking up now.

Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.