• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Lana from Villajoyosa: Updated Information for 2023 and Beyond

peregrina2000

Staff member
Please go to my post of May 5, 2023, further down in the thread for the most recent updates. The polideportivos are open!

There are several excellent threads (some live from the camino) and websites that provide plenty of information for people who might want to start the Lana in a less urban setting, with more elevation and better views. (Also historically verified if that is important to you).

All of that information is readily available onthis thread so I won‘t go through it all again.

But I thought I would start a specific Villajoyosa thread to provide updated info on current conditions. I have been in touch with Pepe Tonda, who seems to be the “guy in charge.” His enthusiasm pops through the WhatsApp messages, and he has promised to update me as things change. The association has credentials. Still no albergue, but it is a beach town with a lot of accmmodations. It’s also easy to sleep in Alicante and take the train to Villajoyosa in the morning to start walking.

Currently, all albergues are closed. But here’s the current info on private places.

Relleu
Casa Balcón de Relleu, Maripaz, 20€ with breakfast. 636 85 76 95
Casa Rural Pepa, kitchen. 20€ per person. 663 89 40 21

Torremanzanas
You can pitch a tent at a site you can find on AirBnB
Hotel El Seter 965 61 90 17 or 666 74 79 26

7 kms beyond Torremanzanas
Hotel Pou de Neu 966 678 803 or mobile 647 684 336

Ibi
Hotel Ibi 966 17 04 17

Onil
Hotel Onil 966 55 60 44

Villena
Monasterio de la Santa Trinidad
A convent has started taking in pilgrims. Hours 9-12, 4-6 pm, 8:30-10 pm.
Calle Plaza del Rollo, 14.

Telephones: 965 801 723 OR 966 140 235 OR 685 837 234

I will post updates as I get them. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Once again, you are foiling my attempts to put off planning this camino! 🤣 Just kidding, thank you for your inspiration as always.

If I can walk the Lana with Wendy this spring, we won't have the time constraints that I thought might be in play once upon a time, so we're also interested in this variant even though it adds an extra day.

For some context, Relleu-Torremanzanas-Onil-Villena (18/19/28/21km) are the stages described on this website that was linked to on another thread in the last couple of days.

Relleu sounds fine with the two budget options you listed.

Torremanzanas
Almost no info online for this hotel (prices etc), but this is the description on TripAdvisor (there's also a decent review there): Small hotel in the mountains of Alicante. Friendly and personal service. Restaurant serving home cooked meals. Spacious terraces and garden areas.

Onil
Hotel Onil 966 55 60 44
It's on Booking.com but it's €50 per person per night (€45 with Booking.com genius discount, €100/90 for double), which seems quite expensive for a 2-star hotel. We paid less than that for our castle pousada and 4-star convent-hotel on the Caminho Nascente in Portugal last year.

Alternatively, Casa de Onil offers single rooms for €30.

Better still, if there are a few of us going and we can coordinate our dates, there's a nice-looking apartment with six beds that goes for €79 per night. Or even for just a couple, that's cheaper than the Hotel Onil.

Villena
A convent has started taking in pilgrims.
That sounds fun!
Another option is La Casa de Félix on Booking.com, which has rooms for €35/p.

Finally, another thing to consider for those of us looking at late April is that Sunday 24th is the Moros y Cristianos festival in Alcoy, so prices for places in the region might spike that weekend.

There are several excellent threads (some live from the camino) and websites that provide plenty of information for people who might want to start the Lana in a less urban setting, with more elevation and better views. (Also historically verified if that is important to you).

All of that information is readily available onthis thread so I won‘t go through it all again.

But I thought I would start a specific Villajoyosa thread to provide updated info on current conditions. I have been in touch with Pepe Tonda, who seems to be the “guy in charge.” His enthusiasm pops through the WhatsApp messages, and he has promised to update me as things change. The association has credentials. Still no albergue, but it is a beach town with a lot of accmmodations. It’s also easy to sleep in Alicante and take the train to Villajoyosa in the morning to start walking.

Currently, all albergues are closed. But here’s the current info on private places.

Relleu
Casa Balcón de Relleu, Maripaz, 20€ with breakfast. 636 85 76 95
Casa Rural Pepa, kitchen. 20€ per person. 663 89 40 21

Torremanzanas
You can pitch a tent at a site you can find on AirBnB

7 kms beyond Torremanzanas
Hotel Pou de Neu 966 678 803 or mobile 647 684 336

Ibi
Hotel Ibi 966 17 04 17

Onil
Hotel Onil 966 55 60 44

Villena
Monasterio de la Santa Trinidad
A convent has started taking in pilgrims. Hours 9-12, 4-6 pm, 8:30-10 pm.
Calle Plaza del Rollo, 14.

Telephones: 965 801 723 OR 966 140 235 OR 685 837 234

I will post updates as I get them. Buen camino, Laurie
Does anyone know anything about waymarking in the Villajoyosa/Vila Joiosa to Villena route? I.e. are there any and how good are they? (I have found Wikiloc routes but prefer not to be totally dependant on technology)

We are hoping to walk this in early May, so any new, up to date information would be very welcome.

We have discovered there is a 7 times a day bus route from Alicante that passes through Ibi and Onil, which is worth knowing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Picking up where I left off last year, when I decided not to walk the Lana in fall. (BTW, anyone looking for a fabulous fall camino should look no further than the Torres from Salamanca, hooking up with the Geira in Braga. It’s FABULOUS).

Anyway.. looks like my Lana will be a go in May. I am starting to gather as much accommodation info as I can, because the possibilities are frequently limited.

Villajoyosa to Villena has albergues,but they are still out of commission. So I’m scouting options.

Onil has a highway hotel a bit out of town, and I’d much prefer to be in town. I contacted the owner of a CR in town, who told me she only rents the whole house. But she gave me three other options of people who rent single rooms.

Maria Jesús 34 626 68 71 96. House in Plaza San Vicent, on WhatsApp

Sandra La Menora 34 687 77 33 13. Also on WhatsApp, in town.

Aurora 34 699 61 10 07 Very nice place but not in center.

It’s so interesting to me to see the differences in the owners of private accommodations. Some never respond, some just respond and tell me they don’t rent rooms, and then others go to the trouble of sending me some suggestions that might work. That third group gets lots of appreciation from me!

Does anyone know anything about waymarking in the Villajoyosa/Vila Joiosa to Villena route? I.e. are there any and how good are they?
Hi, @dick bird, I never saw this question and know that it is now irrelevant since you have walked the Lana, but I thought I would answer for others.

As a diehard wikiloc user, I have found good tracks. I have been in touch with the author of those tracks and gotten good information. As an aside, in my experience of years and years with wikiloc, every single question I have posted on a page with tracks has been answered, usually very promptly, by the author. It’s kind of like this forum, but just dedicated to GPS tracks.

ANYWAY… what I have learned is that there is a section after Torremanzanas with some malicious arrow tampering. Knowing that, and having the tracks, makes that all irrelevant, though. Other than that, I am told that it is all marked well. There are many different hiking routes up in the area, though, so I personally wouldn’t go without a GPS.

Hoping to have some first hand information on the route this spring!

Update on the accommodations from Villajoyosa. Pepe, from the association has sent me details. The Polideportivos are open again, but truth be told I think I’m going to pass and stick with the private places. Call me a fake Pilgrim. :D

If you want to sleep in Villajoyosa, contact Hostal Rosa. This place has agreed to charge pilgrims a special price. Website here.

Villajoyosa - Relleu 19 km
1. Municipal accommodation, mattresses on the floor. 636288756, 966856041.
2. Lunch and dinner Casa Balcón de Relleu, Maripaz. 20 € with breakfast. 636 85 76 95
3. Casa Rural Pepa, kitchen .... 20 € per person.663894021
Telephone number for the bus. 965121738

Relleu-Torremanzanas 19 km
Lunch and dinner Bar Amber 669806144
1. Municipal accommodation in the polideportivo. Call the Ayuntamiento (town hall) 965619386. Call ahead to arrange for the keys, especially on weekends and holidays. You can also send an email with information and dates to torremanzanas@torremanzanas.es
2 Camping, offered on AirBnB. "AIR BNB , Tent Pitch In Nature With AmazingViews"
3 Hotel El Sester, http://www.hotelsester.com/ or on Booking- 965619017-669747926
4 Hotel Pou de Neu, at the high point called La Carrasqueta (a 7 km), https://hotelboutiquecarrasqueta.com/. Telephone: 966 678 803, Mobile : 647 550 068
Telephone number for the bus 965130104, Taxi: 647684336

Torremanzanas-Ibi-Onil 30 km

IBI
Municipal polideportivo on the Calle Jaén, tlfn 965 55 006 08
Hotel Ibi, https://www.hotelibi.com/ tlfn. 966 17 04 17

ONIL
Polideportivo with matts. Contact Migue ahead of time. Telephone: 655 99 62 29
Albergue Juvenil OJE, C/ Empedrada nº 10. tlfn. 634983932 (a youth hostel).
Hotel Onil, right on the camino, https://www.grupomiron.es/Onil2

Edited so I could translate from Spanish into English.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Update on the accommodations from Villajoyosa. Pepe, from the association has sent me details. The Polideportivos are open again, but truth be told I think I’m going to pass and stick with the private places. Call me a fake Pilgrim. :D

If you want to sleep in Villajoyosa, contact Hostal Rosa. This place has agreed to charge pilgrims a special price. Website here.

Villajoyosa - Relleu 19 km
1. Municipal accommodation, mattresses on the floor. 636288756, 966856041.
2. Lunch and dinner Casa Balcón de Relleu, Maripaz. 20 € with breakfast. 636 85 76 95
3. Casa Rural Pepa, kitchen .... 20 € per person.663894021
Telephone number for the bus. 965121738

Relleu-Torremanzanas 19 km
Lunch and dinner Bar Amber 669806144
1. Municipal accommodation in the polideportivo. Call the Ayuntamiento (town hall) 965619386. Call ahead to arrange for the keys, especially on weekends and holidays. You can also send an email with information and dates to torremanzanas@torremanzanas.es
2 Camping, offered on AirBnB. "AIR BNB , Tent Pitch In Nature With AmazingViews"
3 Hotel El Sester, http://www.hotelsester.com/ or on Booking- 965619017-669747926
4 Hotel Pou de Neu, at the high point called La Carrasqueta (a 7 km), https://hotelboutiquecarrasqueta.com/. Telephone: 966 678 803, Mobile : 647 550 068
Telephone number for the bus 965130104, Taxi: 647684336

Torremanzanas-Ibi-Onil 30 km

IBI
Municipal polideportivo on the Calle Jaén, tlfn 965 55 006 08
Hotel Ibi, https://www.hotelibi.com/ tlfn. 966 17 04 17

ONIL
Polideportivo with matts. Contact Migue ahead of time. Telephone: 655 99 62 29
Albergue Juvenil OJE, C/ Empedrada nº 10. tlfn. 634983932 (a youth hostel).
Hotel Onil, right on the camino, https://www.grupomiron.es/Onil2

Edited so I could translate from Spanish into English.
Hola, Laurie I stayed at Hostal Rosa in VILLAJOYOSA. € 30 for 1 person, €50 for 2 people. There were no single rooms so i negociated €40 for a double room. For 5 minutes I tried to explain Pilgrim prices for her in other Caminos but to no avail.
Juan is the priest in ORCHETA and RELLEU. Bars are in both villages. In RELLEU I stayed in a small sports hall. I got the key from the Local Police in the Townhall. CASA BALCON BAR opens at 6:30 in the morning.

Long story but my GPS LOST THE NEXT 2 DAYS TRACKS. PANIC.
TOREMANZANAS
Bars, supermarket. I stayed at BUENA VISTA CAMPING. Wood Cabin with 2 beds €21, external kitchen and shower block. €24 for self contained Bungalow. Tel. +34 692 965 696. The owner is English. 1·8 km from TORREMANZANAS.

IBI
I was invited for a free village feast

ONIL
Marie Jose, +34 626 687 196. Marie Carmen, +34 623 428 300. Aurora, +34 699 611 007 All full.
A woman I spoke to in her car, took me and her 3 young children to her house in the outskirts and let me put my emergency tent up in her garden. That night I spent 2 hours removing all my GPS tracks from FAVOURITE and hoped and prayed that when I moved the ALICANTE to BURGOS track from ARCHIVE to FAVOURITES It would not disappear. GREAT NEWS IT IS WORKING.
Have a look at camino olvidado guide from bilbao-may 2018, post 21. Jan. 23, 2019. The Airline cancelled It twice. Regards, Mick.

Thanks Mick!

We are not going to sleep in Villajoyosa. The plan is to take the train on Thursday morning very early and then walk the 20 km to Relleu. As I reported, Pepe says that the owner of Hostal Rosa is now willing to give pilgrim prices, maybe influenced by you when you went through.

As late as last month, Pepe (the head of the association in Villajoyosa) told me that the acogida municipal in all the places was not yet open post-covid. So I just made reservations for Rellleu (Casa de los Indianos because Balcón said nothing was available), Torremanzanas (Hotel Sester), and Onil (Hotel Onil). Won’t be a cheap way to start out, but truth be told, I am not planning to sleep in any polideportivos in my 70s unless I absolutely have to. So far, I have been able to be true to that goal.

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for someone to share a taxi to Sarria from Santiago Airport on Sunday 28th April. Flight due to arrive at 4.15pm We are a party of 2 people

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back