• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Norte Route in September

Is a sleeping bag preferable in autumn on the Norte route?

• a sleeping bag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a liner with a light fleece throw blanket

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

CaminoMatt73

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Portuguese 2016. Via de la Plata & to Porto Mar-June 2017, Norte Way in Sept.
I'm starting from IRUN around September 13th or so. Has anyone Hiked the Norte route in autumn? I'm wondering about the climate and the need for a sleeping bag or a liner with a light fleece throw blanket. Also, I've never used a phone in Europe but I hear about prepaid cards. Is this useful and worth the money? This will be my 5th Camino in a year but I've been informed that this route is different, so, I'm collecting as much information as I can. I leave for Paris in a month.

I have waterproof boots, a rain cover for my bag and a rain coat because I hear the chances of rain are 100% somewhere.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked from San Sebastian to Llanes from the end of September into mid-October and it was HOT. This being said, as these were somehow unusuak temps and that you will be walking for a few more weeks something beyond a liner may be good to have.

Cell is great to have, to reserve a bed, keep in touch with fellow walkers you want to meet up with for lunch or dinner. Make sure your cell is unlocked and buy any SIM card once you get to Spain. Unlocking may be expensive, but once it's done it's done and you can keep using your phone on future Caminos.

And yes, go prepared for rain.

Matt:

I walked the Norte starting in Irun last year starting September 5th. The first week it was very warm and made walking any distance difficult. After the first week in became very comfortable, cool in the morning and warming up during the day to short sleeve temperature. It did rain, but mostly a light drizzle, never seemed to last more than a few hours.

I carried a sleeping bag but did not have a need for it. All of the lodging I stayed in had nice warm, fuzzy, etc... blankets. The route is a little different than the Frances in that you may find the only accommodations to be pensions and small hotels and have heat, blankets, and usually paper linen. All very inexpensive.

I did not use a smart phone, and purchased a very simple phone for E20 including E10 of air time. I found the phone necessary for accommodations because many of the hostels, and hotels were full of tourists. It appears people discovered they can have an inexpensive holiday on the beach by staying in hostels and taking the bus or train to a different hostel each day. Last year Vodaphone sold a prepaid smart phone for E80 including a great deal of prepaid data.

As stated earlier the walk is different than Frances, there were days I did not see another pilgrim on the trail and was the only person at night in the albergue. In contrast I met many very nice pilgrims in the evening.

Jim Michie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One never knows. I've walked parts of the Norte 2x in October and was glad I had a light weight sleeping bag. In my 3 times on the Norte I have always hit some rain, even in June. A backpack cover and poncho are sufficient.

We in the EU are lucky as since June 15th we are no longer changed for roaming costs so we can use our local contract in Spain without extra charges. During my previous Caminos I took my smartphone for fotos and whenever wifi was available plus a cheap mobile phone (€30) using a Spanish SIM which can be bought at the airport or any phone store (Orange, Movistar, Vodafone, etc). I have used the same SIM card for the past 3 years.

Buen Camino!

I walked from San Sebastian to Llanes from the end of September into mid-October and it was HOT. This being said, as these were somehow unusuak temps and that you will be walking for a few more weeks something beyond a liner may be good to have.

Cell is great to have, to reserve a bed, keep in touch with fellow walkers you want to meet up with for lunch or dinner. Make sure your cell is unlocked and buy any SIM card once you get to Spain. Unlocking may be expensive, but once it's done it's done and you can keep using your phone on future Caminos.

And yes, go prepared for rain.

I'm pretty much sold on not taking a sleeping bag. Now i'm on the topic of cell phone. Thanks for you note

One never knows. I've walked parts of the Norte 2x in October and was glad I had a light weight sleeping bag. In my 3 times on the Norte I have always hit some rain, even in June. A backpack cover and poncho are sufficient.

We in the EU are lucky as since June 15th we are no longer changed for roaming costs so we can use our local contract in Spain without extra charges. During my previous Caminos I took my smartphone for fotos and whenever wifi was available plus a cheap mobile phone (€30) using a Spanish SIM which can be bought at the airport or any phone store (Orange, Movistar, Vodafone, etc). I have used the same SIM card for the past 3 years.

Buen Camino!

Are any of these companies good companies? Do you prefer one over the others? I have an unlocked cell phone and would like to buy a SIM card with phone and data.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are any of these companies good companies? Do you prefer one over the others? I have an unlocked cell phone and would like to buy a SIM card with phone and data.
Buy the first one you fond that offers a price you can live with. Better things to do on a camino than shop around for a deal n a SIM card.

Buy the first one you fond that offers a price you can live with. Better things to do on a camino than shop around for a deal n a SIM card.

Haha, was going to do that anyway. Thanks for the push.

I have Movistar as Spaniards I know said that they have the best coverage.
By the way, didn't mention that I have a prepay service. One can top up as they say at any Tabac shop, no need to return to a Movistar shop.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have Movistar as Spaniards I know said that they have the best coverage.
By the way, didn't mention that I have a prepay service. One can top up as they say at any Tabac shop, no need to return to a Movistar shop.

I have my own unlocked phone, so i'm assuming I go into a Movistar outlet, pay them some money for a SIM card and put 40Euro on it and can fill it up when it runs out. Is that the jist?

I have my own unlocked phone, so i'm assuming I go into a Movistar outlet, pay them some money for a SIM card and put 40Euro on it and can fill it up when it runs out. Is that the jist?
Make sure you have your passport with you go in to buy the card.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Two weeks left and a little anxiety is settling in. I don't recall ever having anxiety leading up to my hikes.

@CaminoMatt73 it is a glorious route. We walked it in early spring, not autumn, but I imagine the conditions would be similar. It did rain and the path was muddy over some of the hilly bits, but I managed in sandals the whole way.

Pre-camino anxiety? Yep, always, even after 11. It goes as soon as I start walking. So you are not alone. I set off next week, theoretically for the Camino Madrid, but if it is too hot I might join you on the Norte.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@CaminoMatt73 it is a glorious route. We walked it in early spring, not autumn, but I imagine the conditions would be similar. It did rain and the path was muddy over some of the hilly bits, but I managed in sandals the whole way.

Pre-camino anxiety? Yep, always, even after 11. It goes as soon as I start walking. So you are not alone. I set off next week, theoretically for the Camino Madrid, but if it is too hot I might join you on the Norte.

I was thinking of the Madrid way as my encore after the Norte. Please tell me how it's going when you're there. Obviously if I see you on the Norte, you may not have to tell me

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back