• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the quest

Abuelo

Anticipate Spring 2022 Portuguese trek
Time of past OR future Camino
A bit of background. My first knowledge of the Camino occurred 4 years ago when I was invited to fill a spot when a tour group member bailed at the last minute. I was a total stranger but the 10-days only cost me only airfare & heavily discounted base price. The missing member's deposit was already paid and that forfeited to me. Our group location was in an old monastery/winery 22 kilos from Santiago. Our group soon developed camaraderie and good times resulted. From there we toured all over Galacia. I immediately loved the history but especially the food. In one of the small towns a group of pilgrims were taking a break near us in a side park. Conversations ensued & I was immediately fascinated. Having recently retired and (characteristically) interested in new adventure, I asked many questions most of which went unanswered because the pilgrims trekked away. My curiosity remained, though. Returning home, fate intervened. I was diagnosed with cancer. Long story short, two bouts of surgery with chemo, rehab, etc, knocked me down hard but I am now pronounced 100% clean. But lots of physical conditioning needs to occur before I can undertake my own trek. This, with pandemic restrictions, provides opportunity to plan, get back in shape, get equipment & travel plans in the mix. Spring of 2022 seems most likely ETD. Today I watched "The Way" on You Tube. Also ordered The 2021 Portugues Guide. All of this is inspiring. Thanks to all who replied to my initial posts. All much appreciated. Oh, I am getting some pushback from family. "Dad, you're not up for anything like this." (Don't ever make a remark like this to an old Marine !) We shall see ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A bit of background. My first knowledge of the Camino occurred 4 years ago when I was invited to fill a spot when a tour group member bailed at the last minute. I was a total stranger but the 10-days only cost me only airfare & heavily discounted base price. The missing member's deposit was already paid and that forfeited to me. Our group location was in an old monastery/winery 22 kilos from Santiago. Our group soon developed camaraderie and good times resulted. From there we toured all over Galacia. I immediately loved the history but especially the food. In one of the small towns a group of pilgrims were taking a break near us in a side park. Conversations ensued & I was immediately fascinated. Having recently retired and (characteristically) interested in new adventure, I asked many questions most of which went unanswered because the pilgrims trekked away. My curiosity remained, though. Returning home, fate intervened. I was diagnosed with cancer. Long story short, two bouts of surgery with chemo, rehab, etc, knocked me down hard but I am now pronounced 100% clean. But lots of physical conditioning needs to occur before I can undertake my own trek. This, with pandemic restrictions, provides opportunity to plan, get back in shape, get equipment & travel plans in the mix. Spring of 2022 seems most likely ETD. Today I watched "The Way" on You Tube. Also ordered The 2021 Portugues Guide. All of this is inspiring. Thanks to all who replied to my initial posts. All much appreciated. Oh, I am getting some pushback from family. "Dad, you're not up for anything like this." (Don't ever make a remark like this to an old Marine !) We shall see ...

LOL. You'll be fine @AncientMariner .
A bit of stubborness goes a long way in walking a Camino :)
From one old soldier to another. sorry Marine.......:p

If the way is calling you, don't try to ignore...

:D

BC
Roland

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is that an old American marine or a British one? As one ex-serviceman to another Buen Camino and keep on truckin ! :) I was 65 when I started (now 83) and had been told I too was past it. Thank God my GP was ex-service himself who quite calmly told me " if you want to do it, you wont do it sitting here!" That was several Caminos ago! Just be kind to yourself. The only finish line is the one in your heart!

Samarkand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is that an old American marine or a British one? As one ex-serviceman to another Buen Camino and keep on truckin ! :) I was 65 when I started (now 83) and had been told I too was past it. Thank God my GP was ex-service himself who quite calmly told me " if you want to do it, you wont do it sitting here!" That was several Caminos ago! Just be kind to yourself. The only finish line is the one in your heart!

Samarkand.
US Marine here. I'm starting this adventure at 82 y.o. If nothing else, this gives me a goal to aim for. I'm simply transferring my former priority from a long-term liveboard sailing plan to a land-based one. Danish heritage (yeah, a modern day Viking perhaps?) From childhood my entire life has involved some aspect of sailing, starting as an avocation & evolving into a professional career. racing at all levels, cruising U.S Atlantic seaboard, delivery Captain, more) The physical issues of the last few years preclude long-term cruising ... loss of balance being foremost due to after effects of chemotherapy. This can't be reversed. Boat sold, going stir crazy. As Michael Jordan once said, "I miss 100% of the shots I don't take." It is what it is. Glad to be here ! Drew

US Marine here. I'm starting this adventure at 82 y.o. If nothing else, this gives me a goal to aim for. I'm simply transferring my former priority from a long-term liveboard sailing plan to a land-based one. Danish heritage (yeah, a modern day Viking perhaps?) From childhood my entire life has involved some aspect of sailing, starting as an avocation & evolving into a professional career. racing at all levels, cruising U.S Atlantic seaboard, delivery Captain, more) The physical issues of the last few years preclude long-term cruising ... loss of balance being foremost due to after effects of chemotherapy. This can't be reversed. Boat sold, going stir crazy. As Michael Jordan once said, "I miss 100% of the shots I don't take." It is what it is. Glad to be here ! Drew
We met an American lady who had always wanted to walk a Camino but somehow or other, work, family etc had got in the way. She’d finally decided, at 86 years old to lay down all her responsibilities back home and announced that she was heading out. She flew to Spain with a 90 day visa and started walking from St. Jean. We met her some 200km into the Camino and she was going strong. She averaged around 10km a day, made friends with other pilgrims and local people, drank lots of red wine, ate and slept with a smile on her face. I’ve absolutely no doubt that she made it to Santiago and that she was having some of the most joyous moments of her life. Don’t hesitate - make your plans and go. It’s a truly wonderful experience.

All the responses here are encouraging you to go for it. I notice you have posted on the Camino Portugues thread. I am not familiar with this having only completed the Camino Norte to my credit in my 60 s over several holidays. Are you thinking of starting in Lisbon or Porto and there are other choices further along about coastal Vs other route with pros and cons . My occasionally geeky mind quite likes these debates . Tell me more

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We met an American lady who had always wanted to walk a Camino but somehow or other, work, family etc had got in the way. She’d finally decided, at 86 years old to lay down all her responsibilities back home and announced that she was heading out. She flew to Spain with a 90 day visa and started walking from St. Jean. We met her some 200km into the Camino and she was going strong. She averaged around 10km a day, made friends with other pilgrims and local people, drank lots of red wine, ate and slept with a smile on her face. I’ve absolutely no doubt that she made it to Santiago and that she was having some of the most joyous moments of her life. Don’t hesitate - make your plans and go. It’s a truly wonderful experience.
Man, this is inspiring! It's not a race or a contest. God knows, I've done enough of those & not time limited, either. Thanks, Drew

I was walking the Portuguese coastal Camino eight years ago at 66 years, and suffered some discomfort which, after returning home was diagnosed as bladder cancer.
2014 was written off for eventual successful treatment ( our marvellous NHS ).
since then I’ve walked a Camino or two every year - has two cancelled last year by Covid.
my accounts of all those land more are on Ensuitepilgrimblog.Wordpress.com. They May further encourage you, though it sounds like you’re well motivated.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you will do it and maybe a family member will do it with you or you will start alone and gather companions along the way. You sound determined. I hope i am setting out on adventures in 20 years when i am 82. even at 58 i was unsure i could do the camino, you can lack confidence at any age, but like most things the actuality is so much better than the fears in your head which can hold you back. If i learnt nothing else i learned that, its not as difficult as your imagination can make it, just start, and then keep going at your own pace, and stop as often as you feel like. There were many in their 80s walking, just go when the temperatures are tolerable for you.

All the responses here are encouraging you to go for it. I notice you have posted on the Camino Portugues thread. I am not familiar with this having only completed the Camino Norte to my credit in my 60 s over several holidays. Are you thinking of starting in Lisbon or Porto and there are other choices further along about coastal Vs other route with pros and cons . My occasionally geeky mind quite likes these debates . Tell me more
Coastal areas are a comfort zone therefore a logical starting point. I've lived most of my life within a stones throw of salt water. Hills & mountains, while beautiful vistas, are a physical challenge until strength returns. I'd also like to find a way to get in some sailing along the coastal rout, chartering maybe. Perhaps there are possibilities for other trekkers to share with this? Porto seems a more logical starting point for now. I've sailed out of La Rochelle, FR within sight of Cape Finisterre but never made landfall in Spain. I'm only a few days into this venture so things are still unfolding. Looking at everything at this juncture. Thanks, Maggie

Hello. I walked the Frances in 2015 at age 70 with my adult son. Then, my wife and I walked the Portuguese from Porto three years later. Loved both trips, though the experiences were quite different. We both vouch for the beauty, food, and lovely people along the Portuguese route and we’re looking forward to the Norte’ in Spring, 2022. Perhaps we’ll cross paths in Santiago. 😃 I’ll pray for your continued good health. Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's amazing the physical challenges that people have overcome to complete their caminos. If the will is there, so is the Way. That said, it is also amazing the number of people who have started in great fitness only to be unable to complete. I think the secret is paying close attention to what your body is telling you it can do, not what you think it should (or shouldn't) be able to do.

Another tip that is always the first one I give, but which may be even more useful in your case, is to give yourself more time than you think it possibly could take. The last thing you want is to find yourself racing to Santiago to catch a plane. Having those extra days will give you the necessary flexibility to really listen to what your body is telling you - to take the shorter days or the rest days without worrying about running out of time. And if you find that you don't need or want those rest days or shorter days and have a bunch of extra days at the end? Well, there is plenty to see and do in Iberia. You can play the tourist for a while. Or if you want to keep walking you can walk to Finisterre/Muxia or walk the Camino Ingles.

I final piece of advice is to do some training beforehand. This isn't necessarily absolutely essential. I did none before my 2016 camino. But I paid for it in pain. I trained for my next camino and had a lot less pain. I gradually increased the length of my training walks to something like I expected the average length of my daily camino walk to be and started carrying my full backpack with what I intended to carry. When I could do it three days in a row without too much issues, I knew I was ready. It's not just the walking and weight that get to you, it's the fact that they are day after day after day.

Finally, if you are liked The Way and found it good inspiration, you might enjoy some of the videos in this list.

I am a veteran of the Camino and I have only this advice I would give to you or anyone regardless of medical history and fitness level. Just listen to your body. Not any of the friends you meet along the way or your rational (or should I say irrational) mind. Stop when your body tells you, walk when it tells you and eat when it tells you. It is always better to walk a little less rather than too far. It is amazing how you can feel so good at 2:00PM and then by 2:30PM you are ready to collapse. If you do this especially early on you will see how powerful you will become later in body, mind and spirit.
Also I have stayed great friends with my college boys. There are 8 of us. At least 5 of us were going to walk this year (if possible) in October to celebrate our 50 years of friendship. Now two of the band have been diagnosed with Cancer and one other's wife has just been diagnosed with cancer also.
But we just had our bi-monthly zoom call and we are postponing the Camino until 2022. One may walk part of the way on the VDLP but because of his horrible cancer we have to wait.
My friends in treatment now are focusing in already on staying as fit and healthy as possible as they both insist they will be on the Camino as good as new in 2022. My other friend's wife told him she will be fit and strong because she knows how much he wants to go. All three will recover and will walk.
Imagine how proud and what an inspiration you will be to your family the day you walk into Santiago.

Bom caminho, sir! The literal sounds like it will suit you beautifully. I know from experience with an emergent healthcare issue in Portugal (prior to COV) that I received better and faster treatment there than I would have at home (long story, not needed here). You will be in good hands. I found the Portuguese people universally generous and amazingly hospitable.
I am also originally from a coastal area and really loved being near the ocean until poor weather (late fall) forced me inland.
Watch out for the dampness inside hotels, allergies and so forth. I spent a lot of time being cold and damp -- which brought on the health issue. I recommend a small electric heating pad if you can nab one in the EU before setting out on your walk if you are thinking of a "shoulder season". If I were to walk again in a shoulder season, I would take my heating pad with me.
Be well, and don't worry about speed. Treat yourself along the way! You deserve it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven't seen mention of it in this thread so in case you were unaware....you can send your pack ahead as you see fit every day and only carry a light lunch pack. I normally carry my pack everywhere but once I had to listen to my body (it was yelling in fact) and so over 3 days I walked short days and sent my pack ahead to private rooms. There was no choice. I soon recovered and completed the Camino Porto. So as previously said give yourself plenty of time.

I met an inspiring lady from the UK on camino. She was just out of chemo and had a lot of swelling in her ankles. She knew she was terminally ill. She had decided that she was, at the very least, starting her camino. She hobbled each day to reach her daily destination and then went to find a church service.

Age and dis-ease should not be the reasons we stop living.

Carpe diem.

I met an inspiring lady from the UK on camino. She was just out of chemo and had a lot of swelling in her ankles. She knew she was terminally ill. She had decided that she was, at the very least, starting her camino. She hobbled each day to reach her daily destination and then went to find a church service.

Carpe diem.
She sounds a real lady with a strong heart and I wish her well. Buen Camino!

Samarkand.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Carpe diem.
Your last sentence says it quite clearly. Thanks ...

Thanks. Only into this for less than a week & still learning basics. Some similar parallels to liveaboard sailing. My first-blush plan will be a coastal trek & expand afterward into the northern one. There will be obvious changes as things evolve. Over a year to finalize anything. Thanks. Drew

I've done five (CF3, CP, and CI). Each was different and the same. I am 76 this year and consider my next Camino the added candle on the cake.
I've no doubt you will pack up and move out when the time is right. If we meet on the Way, I'm sure we will bore the heck out of the fellow pilgrims as we lie through our teeth about the many harrowing adventures we had.
Arn

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You have nothing to consider as hampering you walking the Way...when you choose.
My earliest plan (COVID as a consideration) is to walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port in late August 2021 and failing that, the same Camino Frances in April 2022.. I expect it to take about 45 days. Very pumped!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Only into this for less than a week & still learning basics. Some similar parallels to liveaboard sailing. My first-blush plan will be a coastal trek & expand afterward into the northern one. There will be obvious changes as things evolve. Over a year to finalize anything. Thanks. Drew
First: Welcome to the Forum! This is a treasure chest for newbies. Search, read up, discuss, and make new virtual friends here. You are amongst equals.

You are not alone: Soo many in here are hardcore pilgrims, having done many Caminos, as have I. You are easily recognizeable; bitten by the bug. There is a saying:

The camino is calling us, in strange ways, and we know we have to go. It is what it is.

You are obviously there, in some form.

As for age: With my many Caminos, I have seen a lot, but one thing stands out: Young people haste along and discuss kms/day, while old pilgrims just plod along. How many times have I seen young ones with terrible blisters after a day of 30-40 kms? Many, and many of them never arrived in Santiago. OTOH, old folks just plodded along, enjoyed the ride with shorter daily distances, and arrived in Santiago in due time, only fresher and (much) stronger. Ever heard the tale of the turtle and the hare?

If the Camino is calling you hard, then go. You'll do great, I am sure. Your background is to some extent similar to mine, so it should be all gain without pain. I am now 67, and will go in a blink for another one, and then another one, as soon as the opportunity opens.

Buen Camino! (Good way/walk)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi AncientMariner!
Me again!
David is right give yourself plenty of time to appreciate the walk; as who knows how many more chances will come along?
That's what i have decided to do, take all the time i need.
My Camino will be from Porto on the coastal route ( plus Variente Espiritual); it's pretty flat and next to the sea (shouldn't get lost)with lots of bars/restaurants!
I think ;you guys can tell me if i am wrong but it takes about 11 to13 days!
I've got stopovers of 2 or more days in 4 places and 25 days to do it in so hopefully a more leisurely camino.
Woody

Hi AncientMariner!
Me again!
David is right give yourself plenty of time to appreciate the walk; as who knows how many more chances will come along?
That's what i have decided to do, take all the time i need.
My Camino will be from Porto on the coastal route ( plus Variente Espiritual); it's pretty flat and next to the sea (shouldn't get lost)with lots of bars/restaurants!
I think ;you guys can tell me if i am wrong but it takes about 11 to13 days!
I've got stopovers of 2 or more days in 4 places and 25 days to do it in so hopefully a more leisurely camino.
Woody
I am able to walk 25-30 kms/day with my backpack on. No problem (67 now and counting). But on my next Camino, I will do some 15kms/day, maximum. No more. It will also secure that I spend more money on my Camino. A win-win for me as well as for our good helpers on our Caminos, who really need our spendings.

I want to stay in the now, relax, getting closer to each place. Thank God I'm retired with a pension to let me live in peace and enjoy the now..

Last edited:
I want to stay in the now, relax, getting closer to each place. Thank God I'm retired with a pension to let me live in peace and enjoy the now.
I took a "sabbatical" in 2019 to walk the Camino, turned out I retired somewhere along the Way as I never went back! I spent six months wondering what to do and then Covid turned up and I have yet to find my "now". I had dreams turning into plans but now? Who knows. Pleased you have found yours

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Simper Fi Ancient Mariner. Sounds like you are approaching this in a well thought out and methodical manner. I think you will do just fine. Family pushback is probably coming from a place of caring and concern, you’ll win them around once they understand this is not some half baked notion but a real challenge you are determined to meet. Fair winds and following seas.

Very early planning phase w/ nothing firm. Guides, maps soon to come. Pretty sure about Portogues, though & options thereto. Thanks, Drew

Ha, I do believe remarks like that are duck soup for an old marine. Good for you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While I have been very fortunate to have met many on the Camino much older than I, and could add to the great stories here with theirs, I'll instead commit on how very surprised I always am to find many much younger than I experiencing difficulties.
Some of the worst foot concerns, pulls and strains, limps, and more I have seen were with young pilgrims.
In my experience age does not seem to be the leading factor in difficulties pilgrims may encounter?

While I have been very fortunate to have met many on the Camino much older than I, and could add to the great stories here with theirs, I'll instead commit on how very surprised I always am to find many much younger than I experiencing difficulties.
Some of the worst foot concerns, pulls and strains, limps, and more I have seen were with young pilgrims.
In my experience age does not seem to be the leading factor in difficulties pilgrims may encounter?
With youth often comes hubris. Older pilgrims may be more used to paying attention to their body and what it is telling them, rather than taking it for granted. That can be an advantage in the long haul of the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back