• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the Salvador tomorrow

peregrina2000

Staff member
Well, at some point I will write up some notes about the San Olav from Covarrubias to Burgos. Bottom line--if you have s GPS and an urge to get off the Francés for a few days, this is a beautiful challenge. Dinosaur prints (114 million years old if you can get your head around that) and one of the three visigothic churches still standing in Spain--it was amazing.

But I am now in Leon and ready to start the Salvador tomorrow. Yesterday Kinky recognized me (I was in the room next to his in the Hostal España) and we will both be starting off tomorrow. As will @koilife, so I'm thinking that tomorrow in La Robla there will be a big forum party. And Ender will be coming by as well!!!

Anyone else on the Salvador now?

Buen camino, Laurie.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If only I could be there with you guys, but unfortunately not.
Have a wonderful journey

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But I am now in Leon and ready to start the Salvador tomorrow. Yesterday Kinky recognized me (I was in the room next to his in the Hostal España) and we will both be starting off tomorrow. As will @koilife, so I'm thinking that tomorrow in La Robla there will be a big forum party. And Ender will be coming by as well!!!

What a crowd!

Enjoy it all of you as much as you can!

¡Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, at some point I will write up some notes about the San Olav from Covarrubias to Burgos. Bottom line--if you have s GPS and an urge to get off the Francés for a few days, this is a beautiful challenge. Dinosaur prints (114 million years old if you can get your head around that) and one of the three visigothic churches still standing in Spain--it was amazing.

Buen camino, Laurie.

Laurie:

It seems as if you have found a way to make the Salvador less solitary? Wish I was there. How hot is it?

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen camino, Laurie.

No fair! Three of you coindencially walking the Salvador. That amd the Invierno are the Caminos I want to do in the future, but not alone.

Bst of luck to all of you! Looking forward to your posts.

Buen camino, Laurie.
Keep safe Lurie and have a wonderful Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fun that you will be doing the Salvador together! As I told you a Camino friend finished it yesterday and all together there were 8 walking (all Spanish men). Weather was varied but scenery spectacular. Only one of the group continued on with him today leaving Oviedo. He did say that the albergue was packed - LOTS of pilgrims leaving for the Primitivo!

See you soon and say hi to Kinky for me!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Buen camino, Laurie.

Yaaawn, don't forget to update the Ender guide so I don't have to make any mistakes... A few weeks after you... It's so much easier to let others do the job... :OP

Love!/BP

Buen camino, Laurie.

Ahhhh! So sad I am not going to be there for the party;)! Enjoy the Salvador...it is one of my favorite caminos...especially the hike to Pajares. Where are you planning to stop each day?

Buen camino, Laurie.

Oh that's right, I also wanted to know how many stops you're planning to do? Looks like it's a 5-stage-camino, but do you Think it's possible to do in 4? I'm a bit short of time this year!

/BP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How fun to do it together! Hope you all like each other in real life;-)

Just checking in for a quick update before falling asleep. Wow oh wow oh wow. It was raining when we left La Robla (Koilife and son and I). But the day was spectacular with occasional drizzles. My feet never got wet and that's my gauge of whether it's been a rainy day or not.

Kinky couldn't sleep in the albergue last night because a group of ten with taxi-transported mochilas beat him to it. I called him from Buiza this morning to learn that the weather had gone south in La Robla and another friend was coming to meet him so he stayed put. Kinky we miss you and hope to see you again!

Ender was waiting for us in Poladura and took us to a roadside restaurant (named Ezequiel II but no relation to Melide) for lunch with absolutely delicious food and then on a little drive to the neighboring valley (Casares) where the Salvador doesn't go. This area is so spectacular it's hard to describe. Went for coffee in a little place called Rio Viejo and made a mental note for future reference. Tomorrow will have storms like today but Ender gave us a few tips and since we're taking a short stage to Pajares, we can wait it out if it's really too bad. Oh this is glorious, guys!

Oh that's right, I also wanted to know how many stops you're planning to do? Looks like it's a 5-stage-camino, but do you Think it's possible to do in 4? I'm a bit short of time this year!

/BP

Ps. Hi BP. I have done the Salvador twice in four days. Leon -Pola de Gordon(pension)-Pajares-Pola de Lena-Oviedo. Very possible but I am liking this more relaxed way as well.

Taxiing on this route? I hope you have them a dirty look and a cold shoulder. I would have wanted to run them out with the albergue broom or mop, if broom and mop were on hand! 0:)

Hi Laurie,
I stayed in La Robla last year, was it Ender checked me into albergue? I don't think so from photo on other thread. Is he full time hospitalero?
Buen Camino.

I had to reschedule due to problems else I would have been there now as well. Obviously just not meant to be! I am sauntering along the Norte instead. When you guys expect to be in Santiago?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Laurie, Sounds like you are having a great time: enjoy the rest of your camino.

Can I ask please, are you walking in boots or shoes and how was Hostal Espana in Leon: I am hoping to follow you on the Salvador in late August.

Kind Regards,

S.

Ps. Hi BP. I have done the Salvador twice in four days. Leon -Pola de Gordon(pension)-Pajares-Pola de Lena-Oviedo. Very possible but I am liking this more relaxed way as well.

One more thing: echoing Madidi's question above: I always use tennis/running shoes - will this be a problem for me on Salvador and Primitivo this time of year??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's hard to beat the picturesque views on the Salvador, Buen Camino!

dx0X0WE.jpg

One more thing: echoing Madidi's question above: I always use tennis/running shoes - will this be a problem for me on Salvador and Primitivo this time of year??

I used my running shoes, there is one stretch that's quite marshy and you'll likely get wet feet walking through it (I did) but change of socks and you'll be good to go. Other than that trainers were fine :)

I used my running shoes, there is one stretch that's quite marshy and you'll likely get wet feet walking through it (I did) but change of socks and you'll be good to go. Other than that trainers were fine :)

I'm glad to hear that. Wet shoes don't bother me because they dry and I never get blisters anyway. It's just if there's mud, things are more complicated because the dirt stays in the shoes when they dry...

Thanks/BP

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Laurie, Sounds like you are having a great time: enjoy the rest of your camino.

Can I ask please, are you walking in boots or shoes and how was Hostal Espana in Leon: I am hoping to follow you on the Salvador in late August.

Kind Regards,

S.

Hi Madidi, I am wearing low hiking runners. I think that's what they are called.

Depending on the weather you may find a LOT of mud. There are many paths in the woods and through the mountains.

Hostal España is fine. Clean, basic, cheap. It's off the main drag (ordoño II) closer to the train station than the cathedral but it's a very good location.

I think you will love the Salvador.

Taking it slow on the Salvador. i was worried about my knee, which so far has been fine, but I have no complaints.

Yesterday from Poladura to Pajares were probably the hardest 14 km I ever walked. Up to the cross was beautiful and exhilarating but when we crossed over the ridge, the rain started and it was hard walking. The descent to Puerto Pajares was rough but the descent from there to the albergue was downright treacherous. Mud like you've never seen. But still beautiful in so many ways.

I'm in Bendueños tonight (another short day :) ). Kevin had told me this was a must- stop place and he is so right. I'll post more later but my bottom line is that if you are walking the Salvador, take the 2 km detour up to Bendueños. You will absolutely not regret it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm glad to hear that. Wet shoes don't bother me because they dry and I never get blisters anyway. It's just if there's mud, things are more complicated because the dirt stays in the shoes when they dry...
It's a bit more than just mud . . . Just saying . . .

My son and I are in trail runners (not water proof) and doing just fine. Water pours in, then pumps back out with normal walking action. We only change socks at the albergue because 5 min later the new ones will be just as soaked as the old ones.

Everyone has been slipping and sliding in the mud, whether boots or shoes. The key thing is good tread with a trail runner or boot. Simple road running shoes probably have insufficient tread.

Once in Oviedo, we'll do a good cleaning of the shoes to get those mud (and other) particles out.

Reaching way back to the start of the thread... if you want to see what Laurie was up to on the Camino San Olav, you can see on Big Fun in a Tiny Pueblo. Laurie is not in the photos, because Laurie TOOK the photos! But it does tell you what that trail was like. And a little of what it's like walking with a Walkin' Machine like Peregrina2000! Find it at www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com

It's a bit more than just mud . . . Just saying . . .

My son and I are in trail runners (not water proof) and doing just fine. Water pours in, then pumps back out with normal walking action. We only change socks at the albergue because 5 min later the new ones will be just as soaked as the old ones.

Everyone has been slipping and sliding in the mud, whether boots or shoes. The key thing is good tread with a trail runner or boot. Simple road running shoes probably have insufficient tread.

Once in Oviedo, we'll do a good cleaning of the shoes to get those mud (and other) particles out.

Okay, I think I'll stick to muy running shoes, although they would be insufficient according to your advice above... I did the Norte (not primitivo) with them so that's why I think it's doable to to another Camino in northern Spain with them... But as I don't have experience of the Primitivo I could be wrong...

In Mieres. The albergue only opens at 5 but to tell you the truth I would have gone to a pensión anyway. I am kind of dragging with a cold and almost no voice.

Left Bendueños late (for me) because for the first time on the camino I slept till after 7. That should give you an idea of how peaceful it is.

Santa Cristina de Lena was of course the day's highlight. The señora with the keys will open for pilgrims at any reasonable time if she is home. So I didn't have to wait till 11.

Tomorrow Oviedo!! I'm spending two nights there so that LT, Helena and I can have some quality time. That means maybe Kinky will show up !

All my favorite cheap pensiones in Oviedo are full so I have a hunch the Primitivo will be crowded. Starting on Tuesday. Buen camino, Laurie.

Taxiing on this route? I hope you have them a dirty look and a cold shoulder. I would have wanted to run them out with the albergue broom or mop, if broom and mop were on hand! 0:)
Actually, Laurie accomplishes far more with charm and kindness than any broom or mop ever could. It's quite extraordinary to see.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Madidi, I am wearing low hiking runners. I think that's what they are called.

Many thanks Laurie,

Have a super couple of days in Oviedo, you have earned them :):)

Kind Regards,

S.

Just wanted to add a point about running shoes. I am on the Norte (picked up where I left off in October) and today went off Camino where I took an amazing coastal senda actually hugging the coastline up into the mountains, through two passes and down into Laredo. This was NOT the Camino - I was fed up with all the asphalt and saw another route - and I was alone which was dumb. Anyway luckily I met a senderismo group on my way up cause it started to pour, turned windy and the downhill was dangerously slippery for everyone and I was the only one in running shoes. Many fell, me too, and it was pretty scary as I have almost no tread on my new running shoes.

Conclusion for me is that I look forward to meeting Laurie but I may not do the Primitivo as planned. Today shook me up and do not want to chance this happening again with running shoes along the Primitivo.

A friend of mine did the Hospitales route today and pictures look very dark. He has had 2 days of steady rain and there has been lots of mud and falling.

Not to scare anyone but to advise boots or trail runners with better thread than normal running shoes which is what my friend and I wear.

Oh no,
In Mieres. The albergue only opens at 5 but to tell you the truth I would have gone to a pensión anyway. I am kind of dragging with a cold and almost no voice.

Left Bendueños late (for me) because for the first time on the camino I slept till after 7. That should give you an idea of how peaceful it is.

Santa Cristina de Lena was of course the day's highlight. The señora with the keys will open for pilgrims at any reasonable time if she is home. So I didn't have to wait till 11.

Tomorrow Oviedo!! I'm spending two nights there so that LT, Helena and I can have some quality time. That means maybe Kinky will show up !

All my favorite cheap pensiones in Oviedo are full so I have a hunch the Primitivo will be crowded. Starting on Tuesday. Buen camino, Laurie.

Oh no,

Primitivo crowded, it's the only thing that worries me. I should be there mid-July. Please report to us about this.

/BP

Just wanted to add a point about running shoes. I am on the Norte (picked up where I left off in October) and today went off Camino where I took an amazing coastal senda actually hugging the coastline up into the mountains, through two passes and down into Laredo. This was NOT the Camino - I was fed up with all the asphalt and saw another route - and I was alone which was dumb. Anyway luckily I met a senderismo group on my way up cause it started to pour, turned windy and the downhill was dangerously slippery for everyone and I was the only one in running shoes. Many fell, me too, and it was pretty scary as I have almost no tread on my new running shoes.

Conclusion for me is that I look forward to meeting Laurie but I may not do the Primitivo as planned. Today shook me up and do not want to chance this happening again with running shoes along the Primitivo.

A friend of mine did the Hospitales route today and pictures look very dark. He has had 2 days of steady rain and there has been lots of mud and falling.

Not to scare anyone but to advise boots or trail runners with better thread than normal running shoes which is what my friend and I wear.

Okay,

But I see that many of you write that a lot of people slip and fall, regardless of boots or running shoes. So why don't you want to continue - because you are afraid to hurt your feet? I reckon if I just look where I put me feet I should be fine?

/BP

But I see that many of you write that a lot of people slip and fall, regardless of boots or running shoes. So why don't you want to continue - because you are afraid to hurt your feet? I reckon if I just look where I put me feet I should be fine?
A slip and fall can cause real physical damage, up to camino ending or life threatening. If the footwear makes slipping far more likely because it isn't well suited to the conditions, then due caution should apply.

The Salvador "features" extensive tracks of steep (and slippery when wet) goat tracks and cow paths. Under the right (wrong) conditions it can be incredibly treacherous. Out of six pilgrims making our way to Pajares the other day, I was the only one who didn't take at least one complete slip and fall, but I twisted my knee with a narrow save (more luck than anything else). The twist was bad enough I took the bus into Pola de Lena the next day for a farmacia trip for a knee wrap.

For the record, all of us have extensive experience with mountain hiking, and all of us were using staves or trekking poles for stability, so it's a bit more complicated than just watching where we put our feet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In sunny lovely Oviedo, where I have enjoyed sampling lots of artisanal cheeses during a special fiesta. Totally delicious. Got to enjoy some traditional dancing as well.

I will be here onMonday and can't wait to see LT. I will see Helena in a couple of hours.

The worst part from the Puerto de Pajares to Pajares pueblo is the part that goes through what is in nice weather a lovely forest. Ender knows it's really bad in the rain and is looking for an alternative, which I think he may have found but had not yet marked.

I think that the only potentially treacherous part of the Primitivo is the descent from the pass through Montefurado to Lago. That awaits those who go through Pola de Allande as well as those who go Hospitales. But there is a carretera alternative if things are really bad. The walk up to Hospitales and the pass would be hard but I don't think dangerous in rain. The descent to the dam at least in my memory is not the same in terms of steepness. A few other potential messy spots here and there, like into A Lastra, but again not like what we had near Pajares.

The Naranco church and palace, I am delighted to learn, are open on Monday morning!!!!!

In sunny lovely Oviedo, where I have enjoyed sampling lots of artisanal cheeses during a special fiesta. Totally delicious. Got to enjoy some traditional dancing as well.

I will be here onMonday and can't wait to see LT. I will see Helena in a couple of hours.

The worst part from the Puerto de Pajares to Pajares pueblo is the part that goes through what is in nice weather a lovely forest. Ender knows it's really bad in the rain and is looking for an alternative, which I think he may have found but had not yet marked.

I think that the only potentially treacherous part of the Primitivo is the descent from the pass through Montefurado to Lago. That awaits those who go through Pola de Allande as well as those who go Hospitales. But there is a carretera alternative if things are really bad. The walk up to Hospitales and the pass would be hard but I don't think dangerous in rain.

The Naranco church and palace, I am delighted to learn, are open on Monday morning!!!!!

That section from Puerto de Pajares to Pajares was ankle deep mud in sections for me when I walked in Spring time. They must be having a lot of rain.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Was a very emotional trek for me last season. But just no words for you. Enjoy! Gods blessings

Buen camino, Laurie.

Hello peregrina Laurie,
I'll be doing el Salvador and el Primitivo in 2 wks. Weather-wise especially evenings do you have any info, e.g can I get by with a fleece and raingear for cooler/wetter hikes? Do I need a sleeping bag or are hostels equipped with blankets? (in which case I'd just bring the silk sleeping-bag liner). I'm going solo and am trying to keep rucksack as light as possible. Thanks for any tips!
Buen camino, Nora

Hello peregrina Laurie,
I'll be doing el Salvador and el Primitivo in 2 wks. Weather-wise especially evenings do you have any info, e.g can I get by with a fleece and raingear for cooler/wetter hikes? Do I need a sleeping bag or are hostels equipped with blankets? (in which case I'd just bring the silk sleeping-bag liner). I'm going solo and am trying to keep rucksack as light as possible. Thanks for any tips!
Buen camino, Nora

Hello DiversityJane,

I'll be on the Salvador in two weeks as well. Bringing one sweater for cooler temps and one rain gear. I hope it won't be freezing cold in July. And an umbrella! Always sleeping bag, you never know. Maybe we'll run into each other! Although I can't give you the exact date when I start on the Salvador, since I'm starting to walk in Madrid.

Ciao

BP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Taking it slow on the Salvador. i was worried about my knee, which so far has been fine, but I have no complaints.

Yesterday from Poladura to Pajares were probably the hardest 14 km I ever walked. Up to the cross was beautiful and exhilarating but when we crossed over the ridge, the rain started and it was hard walking. The descent to Puerto Pajares was rough but the descent from there to the albergue was downright treacherous. Mud like you've never seen. But still beautiful in so many ways.

I'm in Bendueños tonight (another short day :) ). Kevin had told me this was a must- stop place and he is so right. I'll post more later but my bottom line is that if you are walking the Salvador, take the 2 km detour up to Bendueños. You will absolutely not regret it.
Ha Laurie, I'm so so glad you had time to stop at Buenduenos. I was sure you would love it there.

Kind Regards,

S.

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. Hostal Espana in Leon is fine. Clean, simple, cheap.

I walked in low "trail runners". For the Salvador and its possible mud, you need shoes with good treads and grips. And you also are likely to use hiking poles a LOT.

Ha Laurie, I'm so so glad you had time to stop at Buenduenos. I was sure you would love it there.

What a great place. Ender and a bunch of his friends came over for lunch and Sandra fed us all a feast. The albergue is beautiful. Sandra puts every euro left in the box back into the albergue -- I have never been in an albergue with a 2L bottle of J&B scotch, but she explained that one pilgrim left a big donation and she thought it would be appreciated on cold rainy nights. The walk up from Herias is a good one to get the heart rate up! So glad I stopped, and btw, Sandra remembers you very well and very fondly! Buen Camino, Laurie

Buen camino, Laurie.

POCO A POCO!

Attachments

• san salvador step by step.jpg
    san salvador step by step.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 4
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Just to make slight correction to Laurie's 2kms to Benduenos if someone would be put away because of that. I recorded it with Wikiloc and it shows 1,5km. And well worth of stopping there!

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.