A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Starting to plan and need a guidebook to the Kumano kodo routes

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I am starting to plan one of the Kumano Kodo routes (1 week approx.) for maybe the northern autumn this year or spring in 2021. I have found the following guides and would like some help making a choice.
Hans Beumer guide
Kat Davis guide
Official guide

Best wishes
Bob M

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
None of them are really necessary. I have walked the Nakahechi and Kohechi routes just using the leaflet guides that the Kumano Travel website offer as pdf files and which you can pick up in print versions for free in Kii-Tanabe or Koyasan. Between those and the Kumano Travel website there is all the practical information that I needed.

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
None of them are really necessary. I have walked the Nakahechi and Kohechi routes just using the leaflet guides that the Kumano Travel website offer as pdf files and which you can pick up in print versions for free in Kii-Tanabe or Koyasan. Between those and the Kumano Travel website there is all the practical information that I needed.
That's helpful. The main thing I need are the routes and preferably GPX files where possible so I can plan my stages.

BTW, changing the subject completely, as an antediluvian familiar with Japan you may like The Great Wave.

Bob M

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Complete map booklet links for 3 of the routes on this page. And a gpx track for the Nakahechi which is the most popular route.

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Complete map booklet links for 3 of the routes on this page. And a gpx track for the Nakahechi which is the most popular route.
Well done! The Complete Map Booklet weblink is exactly what I need. Japanese certainly know how to plan - possibly a manifestation of their desire to be helpful to pilgrims. Happy thoughts are winging your way.
Now all I need to do is (a) learn enough Japanese language and culture to be polite, and (b) practice my temple rituals. Simple!

Bob M

Last edited:

GingerHaddad

Camino(s) past & future
September (2018)
I am starting to plan one of the Kumano Kodo routes (1 week approx.) for maybe the northern autumn this year or spring in 2021. I have found the following guides and would like some help making a choice.
Hans Beumer guide
Kat Davis guide
Official guide

Best wishes
Bob M
Find Kat Davis’ blog page or search for her on this forum. She wrote a very complete guidebook to that pilgrimage published by Cicerone publishers.

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Hans Beumer guide
Kat Davis guide
Official guide

Best wishes
Bob M
I have Kat's guidebook. I'm not an 'app' traveller/walker & still like a good ol' fashioned book. I use the paper version at home during planning & have the 'e' version on my phone for the trail.
I'm aiming to do the KK Aug/Sept 2021; not an ideal time of year but as I'll also attempt ascending Mt Fuji, my dates are based on the climbing season.
In the meantime, Israel awaits May-June... 🤗
Happy planning Bob. Will you be adding the Way of 88 Temples to your trip?
👣 🌏

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Well, darn. I have to chose between reaction emojis for this post, when I just want to do this:
♥ 🙏
Wonderful. Bookmarked.
Thank you @Bradypus !
Some day this will happen for me.........

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Well, I have raised my face mask to find out if it is safe to leave my bedroom, which has been my survival ark for many days now. It looks promising! The white dove has returned safely with a worm in its mouth, so the world must be getting okay again and I can start to plan to see more of it. The Schengen Zone is reopening.

The KK maybe next year for me, alas, but Europe or even Israel is not so crazy for late this year, even if it is in late autumn or winter. I will start to work on it in a couple of weeks. The only drama for me is when the Australian government will relax mandatory quarantine requirements for incoming travellers.

Anyway, I hope you have all coped with the situation and can start to resume your own travels ASAP.

Best wishes
Bob

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
Well, I have raised my face mask to find out if it is safe to leave my bedroom, which has been my survival ark for many days now. It looks promising! The white dove has returned safely with a worm in its mouth, so the world must be getting okay again and I can start to plan to see more of it. The Schengen Zone is reopening.

The KK maybe next year for me, alas, but Europe or even Israel is not so crazy for late this year, even if it is in late autumn or winter. I will start to work on it in a couple of weeks. The only drama for me is when the Australian government will relax mandatory quarantine requirements for incoming travellers.

Anyway, I hope you have all coped with the situation and can start to resume your own travels ASAP.

Best wishes
Bob
I too was hoping to go at least somewhere but current indications are the Australian Government won't open our international border for general travel this year. Apart from health issues, the idea being to encourage us to holiday (& spend...) at home to assist our economy to bounce back.
An exception may be a travel 'bubble' with New Zealand.
Of course other restrictions have eased earlier than anticipated & the same could happen with regards to international travel. If it does, I guess it will come down to how much notice we're given & how much planning we need to make for our chosen (or available!) journey.
👣 🌏

BobM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
If the Aus/NZ bubble comes about, have a look at the Te Araroa trail. I found out about it by chance when sitting next to a Dutch guy on a flight from NZ a couple of years ago. He was a thin as a rake with a straggly beard and somewhat weather-beaten; and mentioned in passing that he had just finished the Te Araroa trail and was going home.

I had never heard of it, so we chatted and (not to be outdone;)) I casually mentioned that I had walked the Via Francigena as if it was the simplest stroll in my local park. His eyes lit up and he said "Me too!" So that flight passed in the blink of an eye as we talked about the VF as well.

For Australians, there are lots of long hikes in our country, but (unlike Europe) there are not villages every 10 km, nor cafes on every doorstep, so these hikes almost invariably involve long stages, probably with camping or organised transfers.

I am definitely suffering from cabin fever - and, no longer being a downy faced youth, it is a big deal for me if I miss one of my remaining years of big walks.

Bob M

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
If the Aus/NZ bubble comes about, have a look at the Te Araroa trail. I found out about it by chance when sitting next to a Dutch guy on a flight from NZ a couple of years ago. He was a thin as a rake with a straggly beard and somewhat weather-beaten; and mentioned in passing that he had just finished the Te Araroa trail and was going home.

I had never heard of it, so we chatted and (not to be outdone;)) I casually mentioned that I had walked the Via Francigena as if it was the simplest stroll in my local park. His eyes lit up and he said "Me too!" So that flight passed in the blink of an eye as we talked about the VF as well.

For Australians, there are lots of long hikes in our country, but (unlike Europe) there are not villages every 10 km, nor cafes on every doorstep, so these hikes almost invariably involve long stages, probably with camping or organised transfers.

I am definitely suffering from cabin fever - and, no longer being a downy faced youth, it is a big deal for me if I miss one of my remaining years of big walks.

Bob M
Yep...I hear you...I too am concerned about shunting everything back a year; so many trails, so much world, so little time...& even less time taking capability into consideration.

For me, walking in 'Straya doesn't have anywhere near the appeal; I like/need the additional levels of complexity language, culture, unknown scenery, etc brings.

The Te Araroa Trail is becoming more widely known now; small numbers (10's...if that) complete the full length each year. Too hard core for me so instead I'm currently reading 'BeWildered' by Laura Waters...the account of her journey unintentionally taken solo.
Happy trails!
👣 🌏

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 195 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 321 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock