• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting to walk at beginning of february

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the France
I have walked the france, norte and also Finestere, i am planning to do the del la Plata starting around the middle of february any one started that early what was the situation with Alberges many other pilgrims on the way ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be walking the vdll starting on 4th Feb 2019. From the research I've done I don't expect that many pilgrims to be around. Regarding Albergues there is a list of open Albergues open in the winter in the resources section, there also seems to be Casa's and hotels available.

There is a tube by Sara Dhooma who walked it in Feb this year, also some other tube information on the trail etc.

Hope this helps, happy planning.

I walked from Sevilla to Salamanca February 2014. There were 5 of us (4 men and myself) leaving Sevilla on the same day. We pretty much stuck together until Zafra when I continued on with one of them. No one but us 2 in the albergues (mixture of private and municipals) but I had already walked the Plata in July 2011 and was used to walking with few around.

We had no problem finding accommodations. Crossing overflowing arroyos was almost a daily occurrence but that varies from one year to the next.

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Sevilla to Salamanca February 2014. There were 5 of us (4 men and myself) leaving Sevilla on the same day. We pretty much stuck together until Zafra when I continued on with one of them. No one but us 2 in the albergues (mixture of private and municipals) but I had already walked the Plata in July 2011 and was used to walking with few around.

We had no problem finding accommodations. Crossing overflowing arroyos was almost a daily occurrence but that varies from one year to the next.

Ultreia!
Thanks for your good info greetings from Australia

Anton, I'm starting the Levante on Feb 6th. We might bump into each other in Zamora or on the last bit of the Sanabrés.

You brave soul! If I can give you one advice it would be to take a heating coil and some tea or instant coffee as there were few to no cafés open before 10.00-10.30, quite different to the Plata where a morning café con leche was easily found.

Expect very cold temperatures, wind and rain or snow. I walked Valencia - Toledo in June/July but walked Toledo - Zamora early April and it was 1c leaving Avila and freezing rain crossing the mountain passes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In February, most albergues will be closed. Obtain and use the list provided here in the forum showing albergues open during the winter.

In the unlikely event you go to an albergue and it is closed, with no sign posted as to opening hours or contact information, go to the nearest bar cafe. Ask about the albergue. They will most always know what the deal is. Sometimes the albergue operator is sitting at the bar... Above all, relax, enjoy the journey. Go with the flow...

FInally, if you are staying in albergues, as opposed to commercial lodgings, I recommend a lightweight sleeping bag. Not only is heat not always on offer, but some fellow pilgrims insist on opening windows...(grrr!) Plus, the cleanliness of the shared blankets is not guaranteed...:eek!

Hope this helps.

In February, most albergues will be closed. Obtain and use the list provided here in the forum showing albergues open during the winter.

The Levante is quite different from many other Caminos where this is often true. Most are very small municipals with only 4 beds. The key usually needs to be picked up at the ayuntamiento or police station, or a phone call needs to be made to arrange the opening.

FInally, if you are staying in albergues, as opposed to commercial lodgings, I recommend a lightweight sleeping bag. Not only is heat not always on offer, but some fellow pilgrims insist on opening windows...(grrr!) Plus, the cleanliness of the shared blankets is not guaranteed...:eek!

She will be very lucky if she seeS anyone at all!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked this year in February and we had sustained torrential rain most days with gale force winds. I was experimenting with a new poncho which I will not use again due to the high winds for days (weeks) on end. Most of the albergues were open although some were indeed closed and although it was quiet on the camino there were still plenty of people. Having a warm sleeping bag to crawl into in the evenings made ALL the difference to me. The flooding and rain was most impressive. We all got soaked from head to toe regardless of rain gear used. I found that having a breathable pair of lightweight running shoes that could dry on a heater overnight worked best for me. Nevertheless it was beautiful and magical.

I walked from Seville to Salamanca starting February 17 last year. I was prepared for cold with layers, mitts and a toque, and a sleeping bag. It was cold in the morning and at night, but often sunny and warm in the afternoon. I was usually alone during the day and sometimes at night, but The further I got, the more company I had. I loved every minute, and look forward to finishing next year! buen camino!

I walked this year in February and we had sustained torrential rain most days with gale force winds. I was experimenting with a new poncho which I will not use again due to the high winds for days (weeks) on end. Most of the albergues were open although some were indeed closed and although it was quiet on the camino there were still plenty of people. Having a warm sleeping bag to crawl into in the evenings made ALL the difference to me. The flooding and rain was most impressive. We all got soaked from head to toe regardless of rain gear used. I found that having a breathable pair of lightweight running shoes that could dry on a heater overnight worked best for me. Nevertheless it was beautiful and magical.

@hotelmedicis , we on the Norte experienced the same in March and did hear about the VDLP pilgrims. I too went with lightweight trail runners, rain jacket, RAIN KILT (amazingly practical and kept me dry) and gaiters. I’m planning the Via Augusta then VDLP start last week of February. Praying to the sun God for a drier spring 2019.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started in Seville in February a couple of time. Albergues on the Via are generally open all year so you don't need to worry. You'll have to be prepared for rain and cold (although it's often quite warm during the day) and possibly snow in the north. Albergues are often unheated so a warm sleeping-bag is essential.

Anton, I'm starting the Levante on Feb 6th.

I'm going to be following with interest... I would really love to walk the Levante starting March 2020... I've penciled it into my work calendar so it's a real goal now... just keeping my fingers crossed that I can do this!

Walked the entire VdlP beginning on March 1, 2017. The weather can be drastically different every spring, but that year was wonderful, with cool mornings and sunny days. March 2018 was terribly wet in this part of Spain. First day of blog of Via 2017 is here: ourboatleavestheharbor.blogspot.com/2017/03/to-guillena.html
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back