• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting VDLP in September

Deborah

I keep trying to post this and I'm saving it instead... so forgive me if this is a repeat...

I'd like to start the VDLP in August or September, hopefully avoiding so much of the cold wet weather up in Galicia at the end of the trip.

I hear it is HOT.. but HOW hot?
Is it really unbearably hot?
I would rather be hot than cold.

Is it possible to sleep under the stars on the long stretches where there is no accomodation?
How far between water stops?

Has anyone here done the VDLP at this time of year?
Thanks...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought I remembered an old post about this:

by pilgrim_tom on Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:58 am

" I arrived in Seville on June 24, 2003 to walk the VDLP ... had walked the CF twice but had no info on the VDLP ... figured there would be lots of info available in Seville.

Several enquiries (I am unilingual ... Canadian english) and a few hours later I met a member of the local VDLP Organization ... he was rather surprised that I intended to walk the camino in July and August ... solo ... and told me it might be dangerous.

He didn't tell me that the summer of 2003 would be the 'hottest' summer on record in Europe .... nor that the Seville area is known as the 'frying pan' of Europe.

In the next 40 days I experienced the most difficult ... yet most exhilarating ... experience of my life ... I tell people I have done my 40 days in the desert

The route is not as well marked as the CF ... yet the only day I got seriously lost I was walking with a pilgrim from Germany who was carrying one of those satellite tracking devices "

The writer was not exaggerating, in August temperatures in Seville and into Extremadura can be well in the 40's. 50 degrees being by no means unusual.

There are several day long stretches where you need to carry water and provision with you as there are no villages between departure and destination. And even in the early stages there are one or two quite demanding ascents.

As for sleeping outside I suppose with a bivvy bag or the likes it would be possible - but it can get cold in the evenings especially the more North you get. There are other posts on the forum about this.

But don't be put off :) The rewards of this route are many - among the best walking ever, stunning scenery, high isolated paths and very friendly and helpful locals. The route is now very well waymarked throughout albeit with some adjustment for road construction in places.

Goodl luck with your plans

John

Good Lord!

122 degrees F ? That's horribly hot...
That's in June..
I wonder what the temperature is in late August/September on this route?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Deborah

In Seville August is the hottest month of the year and it can certainly peak at 50 degrees or so. Last year temperatures peaked at 42 degrees. But not every day is like that. Try these two sites for further information:

http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago/ ... Plata.msnw

And this site gives the history of weather some of the main towns and cities along the route as well as predictions:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Europe.htm

For what it is worth I think most people would avoid walking in Southern Spain in the height of summer.

I hope this helps.

John

With all due respect, the highest temperatures I've found for Seville in August is 35 degrees C.

Where in the world did you get the temperature of 50 degrees?

There is a HUGE difference between 122 degrees F and 95 degrees F.
One will kill you and the other might actually be comfortable for someone used to desert heat.

Source?
Thanks!
Deborah

I thought it must be a gross exaggeration to say 50 C. However, a bit of Googling led me to this website (and others) that indicate that the highest temperatures recorded in Europe have been 47 to 48 degrees C in Spain! The 50-degree claims are in doubt, but 47 sounds pretty impressive to me!

http://wmo.asu.edu/europe-highest-temperature

- Clare

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gosh - didn't mean to start an argument! :)

For several years I have lived in Seville for the summer - including August - let me assure you that August is baking hot and I have seen the many thermometers dotted around top 50 degrees in the mid day sun in exposed areas.

Whatever the accuracy - it is still pretty damned hot! :)

John

Futher reassurance perhaps:

Another resident of Seville says this: http://www.exploreseville.com/weather.htm

But of course not every year brings these spiking temperatures and as others on this site advise - it is best to check immediate predictions rather than rely on historical information.

If August is to be your starting time then you might draw some comfort from the fact that walking north the weather does become more temperate. Check Badajoz and then Salamanca which I reached in three weeks.

So whether August or September is the time you plan to set off let's hope next year is one of the cooler summers.

Suerte

Deborah said:
I'd like to start the VDLP in August or September, hopefully avoiding so much of the cold wet weather up in Galicia at the end of the trip.

I hear it is HOT.. but HOW hot?
Is it really unbearably hot?
I would rather be hot than cold.

How far between water stops?

Has anyone here done the VDLP at this time of year?

I have done it at this time of year. Don't do it.

As has been said the 35 degree average is a shade temperature you will be walking in the sun and it will be much hotter. There is also very little shade on many of the stages.

Of course it is possible, it is just unpleasant and if things go wrong marginally dangerous.

Start in Seville in the Spring and by the time you get to Galicia it will be summer.

The distance between water stops is further than on the Camino Frances but it obviously varies from day to day. I would say that while there may be one or two days on the CF where you need to be careful with water there are probably 10 or more similar days on the VdlP.

Buen Camino
William

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where I live, on a 30o Lat line, there is often a difference between actual temperature and 'Humiture' levels.
Humiture is a combination of temperature and humidity, computed by adding the readings for both and dividing by two. For instance, a temperature af 76 and humidity of 98% of saturation results in a 87o reading. So, if the temperatures in Spain reach anywhere close to 40o it is possible that the 'humiture' temperature is over 50o. We have humiture warnings during weather reports suggesting that people with respiratory problems remain indoors and that no outdoor sports be played.
Its similar to the windchill factor bringing down the temperature even if it doesn't actually register an unusually low reading.

Ok.. this is the 3d time I"ve posted this. I keep hitting the "save'" button! I'm computer illiterate I guess.

::::laughing:::

You got no argument here.. just plain old SHOCK!

So it sounds like it would be crazy to attempt the route in Fall.
Spring, it is!

Now... what's the best month to start out, in your opinions?
Has anyone here walked the route in Spring?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi John,
Late October should be a good time for the VDLP. The CSJ guide says:
"When to go. Definitely not July or August (i.e. in the south) though the farther north you go the cooler it gets. April - June (especially for the wild flowers) or September-October are the best times."
It was getting cooler in Galicia when we arrived in late September so by the time you reach Santiago it will be decidedly cool.
Buen Camino!

Weather in summer this year in Spain has been quite soft.

In Seville is normal more than 40 degrees on summer. Not this year.

Any spanish pilgrims friends of mine has been walking it with three and even four litres of water to combat this high temperature. Think of the extra-weight that it suppose.

Buen Camino de la Plata,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi!

My plan to do Vdlp in 2008 is in September and October. Iam not affraid of the weather in Galicia in the October, because this year was fantastic. But you never know. Weather and albuerges, good and bed is a part of every Camino. Which is the best guide in english for the Vdlp?

Ivan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gosh Ivan - all a matter of taste. I bought both the Alison Raju guide and the Ben Cole and Bethan Davis guide. Both have their good points. I decided to use the Raju guide which I found more useful for walkiung the pilgrimage route.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back